Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Crispy Hat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2014
Calgary, Canada
Hi everyone,

I'm a longtime lurker and first time poster looking to get a display for my university dorm room. I'm going to be using it primarily for my Retina Macbook Pro, with the Macbook off to the side as a second display for lots of screen real estate. I'll also be using it on occasion with my Xbox 360, usually with a couple of friends. I was hoping some of you could offer some suggestions of what to get. Here's roughly what I'm looking for:

Price: Hoping to pay less than $500, but I would be willing to go up to $1000 if I had a really good reason to.

Resolution: 1920 x 1080, unless it can scale the Xbox output

Screen size: Probably 24 inch, as I'm afraid the pixel density will be too low if I go higher

Inputs: Either 1 DisplayPort and 1 HDMI (preferred), or 2 HDMI

Viewing angle: Good for when multiple people are playing Xbox or if I'm watching a movie from my bed. Maybe an IPS display then?

Image quality: Quite good, or at least not bad in comparison to the rMBP display. I'm not a professional photographer or anything though.

Refresh rate/response time: Good enough for casual gaming and general computer use. 30 Hz refresh rate is too low.

Finally, it must be available in Canada.

If anyone has a suggestion for what I should buy I would really appreciate it!

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
go look at dell monitors.

This is what I've had for years: dell 2408wfp and when it was new it cost me about $500. I'm sure it's much cheaper now. There is likely a much newer version too.

But it has a ton of input ports that I used to connect my PC (DVI), Xbox (component) and PS3(HDMI). I only wish it had built in speakers but I got some nice external ones for games/movies.

It has a display port input too that I've recently used with my mac (needed a mini display port to display port adapter cable from monoprice).

Hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.