Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jun 6, 2014, 12:29 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

iOS 8 Prompt Asks Users Whether Apps Can Continue Using Location Data

A MacRumors reader has sent in a screenshot of a prompt in iOS 8 that double checks with users asking if they want to continue giving location info to apps.

Since iOS 6, Apple has required apps to get explicit user permission before accessing personal data and device information, with iOS 8 now allowing users to determine whether they want apps to keep using location data.

Apple's original move to require apps to ask for permission came in 2012 after it was discovered that apps such as Path were uploading users' address books without asking for authorization. While Path eventually deleted the information, a pair of U.S. Congressmen sent a letter to Apple asking for information on specific data collection policies, causing Apple to make changes.

Since then, Apple has made a number of moves to better comply with concerns over privacy, which include adding the ability to report apps that do not comply with privacy requirements and asking iOS users if Location Services should be enabled during setup.

Article Link: iOS 8 Prompt Asks Users Whether Apps Can Continue Using Location Data
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2014, 12:31 AM   #2
bwillwall
macrumors 6502a

This is good for privacy but I will say they are taking on a bit of a Windows Vista approach.. bugging people about their apps constantly.
bwillwall is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2014, 12:32 AM   #3
appleguy123
macrumors 603

I hope I can turn this off. Will get annoying after awhile.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 12:33 AM   #4
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

I got this message about the Weather app while I was going through the Swift documentation this evening. Interesting.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 01:12 AM   #5
MikhailT
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillwall View Post
This is good for privacy but I will say they are taking on a bit of a Windows Vista approach.. bugging people about their apps constantly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleguy123 View Post
I hope I can turn this off. Will get annoying after awhile.
You'd only have to do it once per app or just turn off location services. I only see like 5 apps that ever uses the location service, so I'd imagine it's not going to be that frequent.

Also, it's not just good for privacy but for battery life.
MikhailT is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2014, 01:19 AM   #6
bwillwall
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikhailT View Post
You'd only have to do it once per app or just turn off location services. I only see like 5 apps that ever uses the location service, so I'd imagine it's not going to be that frequent.

Also, it's not just good for privacy but for battery life.
Yes but if an app needs to use the gps.. it asks.. if it needs the camera.. it asks.. if it needs photos.. it asks.. if it needs the mic.. the contacts.. calendar.. reminders.. bluetooth.. motion data.. or to keep running gps data in the background, it asks. They just need like a list with everything the app wants so you can toggle them on and off on a single list, because this is getting too intrusive.
bwillwall is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2014, 01:30 AM   #7
tob!
macrumors newbie

It checks because there is a new setting available. You can now restrict location usage for an app so that it only has access when it's on screen.
It turns out apps need to explicitly implement this. (Apples apps already have this setting)
If your app has not implementet this you will loose location access all together.
tob! is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2014, 01:35 AM   #8
nagromme
macrumors G4

Great changes.

I hope the status bar icon distinguishes between "while running" and "always on" GPS.

I use Dark Sky for rain alerts, which means "always on" (but nicely power-efficient!) GPS. And the icon shows in the status bar. But with that icon always there, I cannot (in iOS 7) tell when any OTHER app is using the GPS.

If the icon were to change for "while running" apps like Yelp etc., that would make it far more useful. (As it is, I may as well turn off the icon, since it's always there and tells me nothing.)

Currently you can see all this by poking through settings, but if you're going yo have a status icon, make it useful!
nagromme is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2014, 02:21 AM   #9
Pakaku
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post
Great changes.

I hope the status bar icon distinguishes between "while running" and "always on" GPS.

I use Dark Sky for rain alerts, which means "always on" (but nicely power-efficient!) GPS. And the icon shows in the status bar. But with that icon always there, I cannot (in iOS 7) tell when any OTHER app is using the GPS.

If the icon were to change for "while running" apps like Yelp etc., that would make it far more useful. (As it is, I may as well turn off the icon, since it's always there and tells me nothing.)

Currently you can see all this by poking through settings, but if you're going yo have a status icon, make it useful!
They could probably solve that by moving it to the Notification Center, so it's just one swipe to get there.

They could really use that space for a lot of stuff, actually.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 03:33 AM   #10
Sandstorm
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post
Great changes.

YES. Exactly this. A real problem for me, that I hope iOS 8 solves. I'm also looking forward to the per app battery usage, I want to be convinced that these background location apps really don't waste a lot of battery (as they claim). For exapmple, Swarm by Foursquare. I have no idea how much it wastes, Foursquare claims it's very little, but this always visible GPS icon bugs me, at least psychologically.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakaku View Post
They could probably solve that by moving it to the Notification Center, so it's just one swipe to get there.

They could really use that space for a lot of stuff, actually.
That would be the best solution, imo.
Sandstorm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2014, 06:47 AM   #11
McGiord
macrumors 68040

Please allow to remove and disable all Facebook snooping. In iOS 7 even you toggle the location services off Facebook App is still tracking the iPhone location. Can any of you testing iOS 8 check how this is working?
Thanks
McGiord is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2014, 07:33 AM   #12
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
I love this. My GPS is always turning on at random and I can never figure out which app is the culprit. I hope background services are required to get permission, too.

Also, this isn't very Windows-like, I don't think. With Windows, every time you try to start an application, it asks you if you really want to start it. That's a fantastically retarded question. Yes, no crap I want to start it, otherwise I wouldn't have clicked on it. That popup generates so many false positives about malicious software, I suspect that it causes:

1 - People to think Windows has more viruses than it does (and it already has a lot)
2 - People to completely miss the popups when they're actual warnings about actual viruses

This is a legitimate question. This app is going to use your GPS, do you want it to?

I guess maybe they could improve it by merging the GPS popups into one for each app:

"This app wants to use your GPS, even in the background."
"Don't allow"
"Allow only in foreground"
"Allow even in background"
Expressed more concisely and in a manner that most users will get.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 08:27 AM   #13
unplugme71
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
I love this. My GPS is always turning on at random and I can never figure out which app is the culprit. I hope background services are required to get permission, too.

Also, this isn't very Windows-like, I don't think. With Windows, every time you try to start an application, it asks you if you really want to start it. That's a fantastically retarded question. Yes, no crap I want to start it, otherwise I wouldn't have clicked on it. That popup generates so many false positives about malicious software, I suspect that it causes:

1 - People to think Windows has more viruses than it does (and it already has a lot)
2 - People to completely miss the popups when they're actual warnings about actual viruses

This is a legitimate question. This app is going to use your GPS, do you want it to?

I guess maybe they could improve it by merging the GPS popups into one for each app:

"This app wants to use your GPS, even in the background."
"Don't allow"
"Allow only in foreground"
"Allow even in background"
Expressed more concisely and in a manner that most users will get.
There should be an -all setting and a -per app setting. If I allow -all, I should not get popups. If I do -per app, then I will get popups. The popups should be a one-time event. I can then choose to disallow it later in the settings area.

Personally, I rather have a list of all apps in the settings menu with all the options for that app there. Rather than go to the Notifications setting to see a list of all apps there. Then go to another setting, and see another list of apps there.
unplugme71 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2014, 09:00 AM   #14
lotzosushi
macrumors regular

This just started happening to me yesterday. It's interesting that it kept popping up for a different app every time I unlock my phone. Not all at once, but one app every time I unlock my phone. O_o
Old Jun 6, 2014, 10:23 AM   #15
seppler
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGiord View Post
Please allow to remove and disable all Facebook snooping. In iOS 7 even you toggle the location services off Facebook App is still tracking the iPhone location. Can any of you testing iOS 8 check how this is working?
Thanks
If you are talking about how Facebook knows your (general) location with Location Services off and when you are posting, I'm guessing it only knows a general location because of the IP you are posting from. That's my experience, anyway.
seppler is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2014, 11:37 AM   #16
iSee
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
...a pair of U.S. Congressmen sent a letter to Apple asking for information on specific data collection policies, causing Apple to make changes.
That's not what caused Apple to make changes to their policy.

Both the policy changes and the letters from the Congressmen were caused by the same thing: public concern/outcry (outrage? whatever you want to characterize it as).

OK, it's a small point... I just don't want anyone to get the impression that if Apple is doing something you don't like you should turn to your politicians... first complain directly to Apple.

Done quibbling now.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 11:56 AM   #17
McGiord
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by seppler View Post
If you are talking about how Facebook knows your (general) location with Location Services off and when you are posting, I'm guessing it only knows a general location because of the IP you are posting from. That's my experience, anyway.
If you look into Settings Background refresh it shows that Facebook is accessing your location in the background (what I am experiencing with my iPhone), even background refresh is disable for Facebook, as location services is.
McGiord is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2014, 12:25 PM   #18
mazz0
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to mazz0
I got this with Weather too, I though "why's Weather using my location when it's not open?" So it can have the rights location instantly when next opened?
mazz0 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2014, 01:58 PM   #19
jrswizzle
macrumors 603

It'd be easy to add a "Do Not Show This Again" option - then just to be safe, if someone checks it, add a "Are You Sure?" prompt.

I've had this pop up one time so far on iOS 8 - on my iPhone 5C for the Weather Channel app. I usually run my devices with pretty much everything on all the time. I don't want it to keep asking me.

We'll see how its implemented as time goes on.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazz0 View Post
I got this with Weather too, I though "why's Weather using my location when it's not open?" So it can have the rights location instantly when next opened?
That would be the reason. That way it can update it the background and show you fresh info immediately.

Basically its an improvement on the "intelligent multitasking" of iOS 7.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 05:47 PM   #20
MikhailT
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Yes but if an app needs to use the gps.. it asks.. if it needs the camera.. it asks.. if it needs photos.. it asks.. if it needs the mic.. the contacts.. calendar.. reminders.. bluetooth.. motion data.. or to keep running gps data in the background, it asks. They just need like a list with everything the app wants so you can toggle them on and off on a single list, because this is getting too intrusive.
Well, this is the great time to send in a bug report to Apple to explain that this may be too intrusive and share your suggestions, so that they can change this before iOS 8 releases this fall.

Apple do listen to their customers (it may not seem like they do) and will adjust the frequency or change it overall.

After all, even Microsoft fixed it properly after Vista.
MikhailT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2014, 12:04 PM   #21
mazz0
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to mazz0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrswizzle View Post
It'd be easy to add a "Do Not Show This Again" option - then just to be safe, if someone checks it, add a "Are You Sure?" prompt.

I've had this pop up one time so far on iOS 8 - on my iPhone 5C for the Weather Channel app. I usually run my devices with pretty much everything on all the time. I don't want it to keep asking me.

We'll see how its implemented as time goes on.

----------

That would be the reason. That way it can update it the background and show you fresh info immediately.

Basically its an improvement on the "intelligent multitasking" of iOS 7.
Right, I need to arrange a trip to test this out! Somewhere far away to make sure it can update even if you've traveled a long way. Wonder if I can persuade my boss that I'm needed in our Italy office (assuming we have one)...
mazz0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2014, 12:48 PM   #22
octothorpe8
macrumors regular

Quote:
So, you'd rather apps be able to quietly use your mic, your camera, your location data, your contacts and do god-knows-what with them without your knowledge? That sounds a lot more "intrusive" to me.

I'm very glad Apple allows for granular control of this stuff — as opposed to companies like Google who offer "free" services in exchange for selling everything.

And besides, there are toggles for all this stuff in Settings/Privacy.

Last edited by octothorpe8; Jun 8, 2014 at 12:54 PM.
octothorpe8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2014, 11:05 AM   #23
FaustsHausUK
macrumors member

The Settings > Privacy > Location Services configuration lets you tweak this. Currently, it's not ideal.

- Apple apps let you select the following for Allow Location Access: Never, While Using The App (the best setting), Always
- Non-Apple apps let you select the following for Allow Location Access: Never, Always

Arguably, third party apps are more aggressive about location use, so it would make *more* sense for them to offer a While Using The App option. I hope this is something Apple changes as the beta progresses.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion