Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Today is National Doughnut Day. Krispy Kreme is offering a free doughnut today! Enjoy!

Attachments

• doughnut.jpg
    doughnut.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 128

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
They just opened a Tim Horton's near me and I went there this morning to try it. Sign on door said if you were nice and bought something, they'd give you a free donut. I gave mine to the cop on line behind me. :D

BTW, their coffee is pretty bad ass.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Donuts used to be cheap. Now that almost all the small donut shops have died out and all that seems to be left is Krispy Kreme and Dunkin' Donuts. They cost about three times as much as they did 10 years ago. General food costs haven't inflated close to that in 10 years.

Also the small donut shops I went to would let you get any donuts you wanted in a dozen. So you could get the giant donuts, bear claws, huge cinnamon rolls, fritters, twists and eclairs in a dozen at no extra cost. The big chains don't even carry many of these and if they do you pay extra.

The chains also ruined the donuts anyways. The ones that are supposed to be whipped cream or custard filled taste like they are filled with frosting. The jelly donuts taste like fruit flavored syrup.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Apparently National Doughnut Day is real and was created originally by the Salvation Army.

National Doughnut Day is on the first Friday of June each year, succeeding the Doughnut Day event created by The Salvation Army in 1938 to honor the men and women who served doughnuts to soldiers during World War I.

There are no Kripy Kremes or Dunkin Donuts close by, so my usual choice are Shipley Bravarian Cremes, hmm. :)

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
I wonder what they taste like. I hated them as a kid (too much sugar in the icing). It's probably been 20 years since I've had a bite. :eek:

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
Donuts used to be cheap. Now that almost all the small donut shops have died out and all that seems to be left is Krispy Kreme and Dunkin' Donuts. They cost about three times as much as they did 10 years ago. General food costs haven't inflated close to that in 10 years.

Last week I went to a new donut shop near here (Dallas) to buy a couple dozen for the office. They were charging $19.99 a dozen. That's not a typo.

Seriously, they had a color-coded price scale for individual donuts. I'm talking like $2.79 for A donut. ONE.

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Last week I went to a new donut shop near here (Dallas) to buy a couple dozen for the office. They were charging $19.99 a dozen. That's not a typo.

Seriously, they had a color-coded price scale for individual donuts. I'm talking like $2.79 for A donut. ONE.

Woah... Thats an expensive doughnut. Are they the best doughnuts ever made or something?

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California

Oh dear god! Are you serious?? Wow........... And I thought the $10-11 bucks here was expensive! Yikes! :eek:

SidewaysTakumi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
Texas

I'm in Dallas...where was this at? Hypnotiq Donuts?

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I live in The Colony (which is like 30 minutes from Dallas), and we have a local shop here still. My mom and I like going to get them at 5AM at the morning as they're just fresh out of the oven at that point and melt in your mouth. They let you take a box and pile whatever you want in them and we usually get a huge apple cinnamon that all of us share, a few glazed, lots of chocolates, a few sprinkles, some jelly filled, and whatever else.

Plus a bag of kolaches or a few breakfast sandwiches.

We find Krispy Kreme disgusting and prefer just buying the Kroger ones instead if we have to get them at the store.

I like Dunkin' Donuts, I've just never bought doughnuts there as their other breakfast stuff is nice.

It was pretty late when we went out today, so we just had McDonald's. Maybe we'll have donuts this weekend.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I used to have a Krispy Kreme in my area... But they closed. Those doughnuts were so good.

Krispy Kreme was always big in the South, then in the 1990s they initiated this crazy expansion (I assume) across the country and... over expanded. Where I lived in the South Minneapolis suburbs, they sprouted up all over including the Mall off America and closed a couple of years later. They over estimated the demand for their donuts. :eek:

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
The only Krispy Kreme donuts I'll eat are HOT fresh ones, hence the "hot donuts" signs in their windows
Other than that, I don't care for their donuts

I like Dunkin Donuts, but they need to at least be semi fresh
I've had some pretty stale DD donuts in the past
Partial to their chocolate glazed and double chocolate donuts
However, I am more likely to get a cinnamon raisin bagel w/cream cheese :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The only Krispy Kreme donuts I'll eat are HOT fresh ones, hence the "hot donuts" signs in their windows
Other than that, I don't care for their donuts

I like Dunkin Donuts, but they need to at least be semi fresh
I've had some pretty stale DD donuts in the past
Partial to their chocolate glazed and double chocolate donuts
However, I am more likely to get a cinnamon raisin bagel w/cream cheese :)

KKs fresh donuts are like delicious melt in your mouth shots of sugar. :)

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
I lived in an apartment located right above a donut shop for about a year while I was going to college. Waking up to the sweet aroma of donuts baking first thing in the morning was great.

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
there was a place in Plano, Texas i went to that sold you a dozen doughnut holes and a full sized donut for 1.25 best deal ever.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.