Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

touchUpInside

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 4, 2014
UTC -07:00
If I install a program in bootcamp Windows (say MS-Excel 64-bit), is that same program and the files created therefrom available in Parallel Windows ?

Background: I have a license to install Excel on 1 more computer. Typically, the 32-bit version of MS-Office is installed, but I would like to make use of the larger spreadsheet available in the 64-bit version of Excel. The 32-bit version is typically installed even on 64-bit machines because there can only be one type of Office installed (Word, Outlook, etc.). The 64-bit version of Office breaks some things (macros, etc.). However, I only want to use Excel in Bootcamp/Parallel.

Anyways, from what I read windows programs only need to get installed once. I would just like to double check. I wonder also, if a program is installed in Parallel, is it available in boot camp.

Thanks, cheers !

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
How are you running Parallels? Did you set it up to use your bootcamp partition or are you using a separate VM?

If its the latter, then from a windows/application perspective its two different computers. If you're using the latest office, then you can use OneDrive to store your files and open it in either environment.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I haven't set it up yet. I am trying to determine the best way to do this.

A single install of windows is the best way, so once you have bootcamp and installed windows, using Parallels to access the bootcamp partition would be the best imo.

Thrifty1

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2009
Not sure if this is a common problem or was something unique to me. I installed Windows 7 on Bootcamp and then installed Parallels to access the Bootcamp Windows 7. I wanted to be able to sometimes boot directly into the Bootcamp setup and other times access Windows via Parallels while booted into the Mac OS X.

The problem is Microsoft saw this as 2 separate installations of Windows and I would get messages that one was not activated and I would need another Windows license.

I recently had an iMac replaced and decided to just install Windows via Parallels and skip the entire Bootcamp process. This is running so much better for me and installation was so much easier / smoother.

I am also thinking that the Windows via Parallels now may be backed up via time machine where that was not possible with a Bootcamp partition.

Unless you need to boot directly into Bootcamp / Windows I find the Parallels & Windows setup much better.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
Not sure if this is a common problem or was something unique to me. I installed Windows 7 on Bootcamp and then installed Parallels to access the Bootcamp Windows 7. I wanted to be able to sometimes boot directly into the Bootcamp setup and other times access Windows via Parallels while booted into the Mac OS X.

The problem is Microsoft saw this as 2 separate installations of Windows and I would get messages that one was not activated and I would need another Windows license.

I recently had an iMac replaced and decided to just install Windows via Parallels and skip the entire Bootcamp process. This is running so much better for me and installation was so much easier / smoother.

I am also thinking that the Windows via Parallels now may be backed up via time machine where that was not possible with a Bootcamp partition.

Unless you need to boot directly into Bootcamp / Windows I find the Parallels & Windows setup much better.

My experience and recommendation too.

However I believe the dual activation issue is solvable. I know there is a sticky about it on the Parallels forum, but I think you just have to activate Bootcamp and Parallels once and should be OK thereafter.

Mike Boreham

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2006
UK
If Bootcamp is not used, then does Parallels create the partition for Windows to install ?

Cheers !

Parallels puts the Virtual Image file in the user/documents/ by default. Not on a separate partition. The VM file can be located anywhere including on an external HD

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.