Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Jun 7, 2014, 09:23 AM   #1
Aragornii
macrumors regular

Dr. Dre likes to Beat Women

So Apple is attempting an image makeover of Dr Dre, with fluff pieces coming out comparing him to Steve Jobs. Don't forget this is the guy we're talking about:

Quote:
He picked her up and "began slamming her leg and the right side of her body repeatedly against a wall near the stairway" as his bodyguard held off the crowd. After Dre tried to throw her down the stairs and failed, he began kicking her in the ribs and hands. She escaped and ran into the women's rest room. Dre followed her and "grabbed her from behind by the hair and proceeded to punch her in the back of the head.
Quote:
People talk all this ****, but you know, somebody **** with me, I'm gonna **** with them.
Stay classy, Apple.

http://community.allhiphop.com/discu...it-to-that-hoe
Aragornii is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2014, 09:31 AM   #2
zioxide
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragornii View Post
Stay classy, Apple.
Who made you the professor of class?

This happened 23 years ago...
zioxide is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2014, 09:33 AM   #3
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Why do you think they call them Beats?
Old Jun 7, 2014, 09:38 AM   #4
Aragornii
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zioxide View Post
Who made you the professor of class?
Maybe the fact that I don't beat women?
Aragornii is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2014, 10:27 AM   #5
Southern Dad
macrumors 6502a

He may have changed in the last 23 years.
Southern Dad is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2014, 10:37 AM   #6
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Dad View Post
To be honest I agree, if he's not done anything similar for so long we shouldn't continue to hound him about it. He did his time.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 10:45 AM   #7
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
So Apple is attempting an image makeover of Dr Dre...

There is nothing that you or anyone else can say to stop this deal...

....or anything surrounding it that will stop you and millions of others from continuing to buy Apple products in the future. After all, you're in the market for a new iMac. Must have those sweet Apple goodies, no matter the corporation's behaviour.

Torn between your professed principles and your behaviour, such dissonance and mewling helplessness must burn.
Blue Velvet is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2014, 11:24 AM   #8
Aragornii
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Velvet View Post
There is nothing that you or anyone else can say to stop this deal...

....or anything surrounding it that will stop you and millions of others from continuing to buy Apple products in the future. After all, you're in the market for a new iMac. Must have those sweet Apple goodies, no matter the corporation's behaviour.

Torn between your professed principles and your behaviour, such dissonance and mewling helplessness must burn.
I am a huge (and unapologetic) fan of Apple. I have a house full of Apple goodies, and look forward to buying a few more this year (I'm looking at you, retina iMac).

As an Apple shareholder, I'll buck the trend and say I'm also a huge fan of the Beats acquisition, so don't get me wrong on that score. I didn't get it at first, but in retrospect it was an incredibly smart move on a number of levels.

The entree into the music biz inner circle via Jimmy Iovine and the acquisition of a great streaming platform with perfect synergy for Apple is the real value, but damn people love those Beats headphones. I flew cross country yesterday and I couldn't count the number of people I saw wearing Beats headphones in the airports and on the plane.

I'm just cracking up at the attempted makeover of Dr Dre. I mean, this guy is the dictionary definition of lowlife thug. You just have to laugh at all these fluff pieces that are obviously damage control coming out of the Apple PR department.
Aragornii is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2014, 11:49 AM   #9
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
I'm just cracking up at the attempted makeover of Dr Dre. I mean, this guy is the dictionary definition of lowlife thug.

Interesting you chose that specific frame.

But it's a tedious discussion. It's all about the money, nothing more. Unfortunately, there isn't a single major tech company that doesn't have dirty hands in some way or another... and to completely boycott their offerings on the basis of principle means removing yourself from effectively working and living in developed societies in the 21st century. I admire those that do so, but I'm a hypocrite, like most of us.

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
Blue Velvet is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2014, 11:52 AM   #10
bradl
macrumors 68020

Quote:
I am a huge (and unapologetic) fan of Apple. I have a house full of Apple goodies, and look forward to buying a few more this year (I'm looking at you, retina iMac).

As an Apple shareholder, I'll buck the trend and say I'm also a huge fan of the Beats acquisition, so don't get me wrong on that score. I didn't get it at first, but in retrospect it was an incredibly smart move on a number of levels.

The entree into the music biz inner circle via Jimmy Iovine and the acquisition of a great streaming platform with perfect synergy for Apple is the real value, but damn people love those Beats headphones. I flew cross country yesterday and I couldn't count the number of people I saw wearing Beats headphones in the airports and on the plane.

I'm just cracking up at the attempted makeover of Dr Dre. I mean, this guy is the dictionary definition of lowlife thug. You just have to laugh at all these fluff pieces that are obviously damage control coming out of the Apple PR department.
Someone here missed the entire point of Rocky IV.

Life lesson for you: go back through that movie and listen to his speech after defeating Drago. to put it short: If You can change, and I can change, then EVERYONE can change. Everyone, regardless of what they did in their past, can change.

The only one who is holding on to what he did back then and trying to use it as a crutch or excuse to get rid of the guy, is you. Perhaps you should take a look in the mirror and figure out what things you haven't changed, and work on bettering yourself; Dre did, and look at his results.

BL.
bradl is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2014, 11:59 AM   #11
Aragornii
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradl View Post
Someone here missed the entire point of Rocky IV.

Life lesson for you: go back through that movie and listen to his speech after defeating Drago. to put it short: If You can change, and I can change, then EVERYONE can change. Everyone, regardless of what they did in their past, can change.

The only one who is holding on to what he did back then and trying to use it as a crutch or excuse to get rid of the guy, is you. Perhaps you should take a look in the mirror and figure out what things you haven't changed, and work on bettering yourself; Dre did, and look at his results.

BL.
I know, this is totally the ancient past.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2e5ZibypDk
Aragornii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2014, 01:37 PM   #12
bradl
macrumors 68020

Quote:
I know, this is totally the ancient past.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2e5ZibypDk
Tyrese? Really? That's all you have to reply with?

You really don't get it. people can change. There was a staunch KKK member who actually took the time to sit down and talk to a black person once, and did it again and again and again until they realized how much they had in common instead of the hatred towards each other that it brought two staunch racists together as friends. Both turned their past away and vowed to never again be like what they were before.

If two grumpy old men in their 60s/70s can change, anyone can change. You just don't believe that Dre could and want to hold that against him his entire life and career. That is your problem, your issue, your demons you have to deal with. Dre may have reconciled with his and is happy with where he is at. You just need to get over you.

BL.
bradl is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2014, 01:51 PM   #13
Southern Dad
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

You really don't get it. people can change. There was a staunch KKK member who actually took the time to sit down and talk to a black person once, and did it again and again and again until they realized how much they had in common instead of the hatred towards each other that it brought two staunch racists together as friends. Both turned their past away and vowed to never again be like what they were before.

If two grumpy old men in their 60s/70s can change, anyone can change. You just don't believe that Dre could and want to hold that against him his entire life and career. That is your problem, your issue, your demons you have to deal with. Dre may have reconciled with his and is happy with where he is at. You just need to get over you.

BL.
Mark this day on your calendar... Bradl and I agree on something. You are exactly right.
Southern Dad is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2014, 02:49 PM   #14
AustinIllini
macrumors Demi-God

The title of this thread is libelous. Ferdinand Porsche was a Nazi, but I'd buy a 911.
Old Jun 7, 2014, 03:54 PM   #15
Aragornii
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinIllini View Post
The title of this thread is libelous. Ferdinand Porsche was a Nazi, but I'd buy a 911.
It's not libelous because it's true, but anyway your post doesn't make any sense. I'm not talking about whether I'd have a problem with buying a pair of Beats 60 years from now because its cofounder liked to beat up women. A better example is whether you'd be cool with Apple hiring Chris Brown because he has cred in the music biz. Would you? I wouldn't.
Aragornii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2014, 03:56 PM   #16
AustinIllini
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
It's not libelous because it's true, but anyway your post doesn't make any sense. I'm not talking about whether I'd buy a pair of Beats 60 years from now because it's cofounder liked to beat up women. A better example is whether you'd be cool with Apple hiring Chris Brown because he has cred in the music biz. Would you? I wouldn't.
Do you have evidence to suggest that Dr. Dre enjoys beating women now?

Do you listen to Michael Jackson?
Old Jun 7, 2014, 04:00 PM   #17
mojolicious
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
It [the thread title] is not libelous because it's true
A truer title in US newspaperese would have been "Dr Dre Assaulted Woman; Initially Unapologetic; Level of Enjoyment Derived from Attack Unknown".
mojolicious is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2014, 04:44 PM   #18
metsjetsfan
macrumors 6502a

Everyone deserves a second chance. Unfair to judge him on this.

Altho federigji did sound very scared of him at the keynote.
metsjetsfan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2014, 04:56 PM   #19
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
It's not libelous because it's true, but anyway your post doesn't make any sense. I'm not talking about whether I'd have a problem with buying a pair of Beats 60 years from now because its cofounder liked to beat up women. A better example is whether you'd be cool with Apple hiring Chris Brown because he has cred in the music biz. Would you? I wouldn't.
Why do you say he likes to beat women ? How many women has he beat ?
Old Jun 7, 2014, 05:36 PM   #20
bradl
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Then don't buy their products, regardless of how much of a fan(boi) you may or may not be.

I'll put it more blunt than before. When I started my leadership business, I was getting criticized all over the place, and shockingly enough, by some members of my family. I shut them up simply saying:

Quote:
I am already dealing with and getting over my own self-limiting beliefs; I don't need to be limited by yours.
Same applies. Apple and Dre don't need to be limited by your beliefs, especially because they have the fruit on the tree: the results. You do not. Until you do, you really don't have any room to criticize, condemn, or complain.

According to Dale Carnegie, only fools do that, and most people do.

BL.
bradl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2014, 05:47 PM   #21
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020

Quote:

BL.
Very, very well said.
ugahairydawgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2014, 01:43 AM   #22
Eraserhead
macrumors G4

Quote:
A better example is whether you'd be cool with Apple hiring Chris Brown because he has cred in the music biz. Would you? I wouldn't.
Isn't Chris Brown currently in jail for his violent behaviour?
Old Jun 8, 2014, 06:58 AM   #23
JohnLT13
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Dad View Post
Agreed, 23 years is enough time to forgive offenses like this isn't it?
But I still won't buy the inferior headphones he peddles.
JohnLT13 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2014, 09:51 AM   #24
nfl46
macrumors 601

Wow. He cares what he did 23 years ago. That shouldn't have anything to do with what's going on right now in 2014. You're ridiculous!
Old Jun 8, 2014, 10:02 AM   #25
Southern Dad
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfl46 View Post
Wow. He cares what he did 23 years ago. That shouldn't have anything to do with what's going on right now in 2014. You're ridiculous!
While I agree in this case it appears that this was 23 years ago and things have changed.

There are times that things are held against someone longer. Charles Manson has been locked up far longer than that. I don't see anyone advocating forgiveness for him.
Southern Dad is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues