Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Not sure I believe the QHD screen claims especially the idea a bigger screen and yet is slimmer than the S5...

As for this being a metal version, those and other blurry shots I have seen kind of make Metal look throughly bland and underwhelming.

Still can't see Samsung releasing this globally either.

Hopefully metal back is a sign of things to come for the next Note . If has to look right though.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I'm not sure it's a matter of stepping it up, but I do believe the "polycarbonate" (what every other industry refers to as "cheap plastic") phones need to end.

I do agree, in fairness though I like the look on my note 3 but the back on the S5 I personally think it looks terrible. Would be annoyed if thats on the note 4.

I know many think with the new iphone android users will jump ship but with the note line they don't need to do loads to keep customers. It's a great device and a metal back would help. as rumours are of a new design for the note 4.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Will be called the Galaxy F

I can think of another company that has a great deal of success with "F"

01-2011-lexus-lfa-review-opt.jpg

aeboi

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2009
Bay Area
It's just a very dark picture of an S5 with a third party battery cover. Nothing different from anything we've seen with past rumors.

Last time it was a metallic golden battery cover with the dimples.

I smell BS. You're making a bold assumption that this mystical Prime model even exists.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
It's just a very dark picture of an S5 with a third party battery cover. Nothing different from anything we've seen with past rumors.

Last time it was a metallic golden battery cover with the dimples.

I smell BS. You're making a bold assumption that this mystical Prime model even exists.

I think it does exist. Normally this many rumours about something normally means it true but I'm not making assumptions. Just posting the article.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
I do agree, in fairness though I like the look on my note 3 but the back on the S5 I personally think it looks terrible. Would be annoyed if thats on the note 4.

I know many think with the new iphone android users will jump ship but with the note line they don't need to do loads to keep customers. It's a great device and a metal back would help. as rumours are of a new design for the note 4.

Samsung have never had a phone that stands out with looks, always cheap plastic, the note 3 and S5 are a small improvement. Least they feel ok to hold now.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Samsung have never had a phone that stands out with looks, always cheap plastic, the note 3 and S5 are a small improvement. Least they feel ok to hold now.

What's in the phone has always been number 1 to me but a metal look would be a nice change.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
What's in the phone has always been number 1 to me but a metal look would be a nice change.

Hence why i have a S5 now, I was always a big metal fan, 5S then M8 but you can't use them without cases, well you can but they are slippery and will scratch.
S5 feels good to hold, not slippery and no need for a case. My note 3 was the same. $$$ saved. But do they look good, not really :)

I tried a spigen neon case on my S5, made it too big and didn't feel anywhere near as good.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Hence why i have a S5 now, I was always a big metal fan, 5S then M8 but you can't use them without cases, well you can but they are slippery and will scratch.
S5 feels good to hold, not slippery and no need for a case. My note 3 was the same. $$$ saved. But do they look good, not really :)

I tried a spigen neon case on my S5, made it too big and didn't feel anywhere near as good.

Agreed, love the look of the case but too bulky for me.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
For me I have never used a phone with case. It just feels unnatural. So a non durable metal phone like 5s or m8 would be too burdensome as I need to always worry about scratching it.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Well they will need to step it up with the next iPhones looking to be impressive.

No they dont. Metal or plastic, mine will get a case regardless. Metal is too slippery for me and if i wanted i could not use a casee with a plastic one. It will still look good.

The iPhone could be 24 karat solid gold and i wont buy it with its limited OS.

As for Samsung, i dont like that they release a better version of the same phones weeks after it comes out. Since i havent bought the last two Galaxy phones so far, i dont feel so bad.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
No they dont. Metal or plastic, mine will get a case regardless. Metal is too slippery for me and if i wanted i could not use a casee with a plastic one. It will still look good.

The iPhone could be 24 karat solid gold and i wont buy it with its limited OS.

I wouldn't either but it will get Alot of hype. As I said Note 4 won't need much to get me to get it. I'm too into my note devices to leave.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
The image I saw circulating around for the S5 Prime is:

View attachment 475611

However, the best concept drawing (i.e. not likely) is from an artist who's a huge Apple fan:

View attachment 475612

The second picture, ...i actually saw one very similar today in Best Buy. Think it was a Note 3 with that same black leather looking backing. Felt good, nice and grippy but the leather looking back covered the whole backside.

----------

I wouldn't either but it will get Alot of hype. As I said Note 4 won't need much to get me to get it. I'm too into my note devices to leave.

Agree, it will. The iPhone will sell a ton just for the fact the screen is 4.7".

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I'm still not so sure why people are enamored with the idea of make the S5 out of metal when functionally it brings absolutely nothing to the device other than weight and cost.

I passed on the M8 and it's metal. Retired my 5S and it is metal. Hell, I actually prefer the look and feel of the 5C.

Seems like misplaced energy and concern on Samsungs part. Clearly the all metal HTC phones isn't doing much to help their bottom line so actual consumers aren't all that concerned.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
I'm still not so sure why people are enamored with the idea of make the S5 out of metal when functionally it brings absolutely nothing to the device other than weight and cost.

I passed on the M8 and it's metal. Retired my 5S and it is metal. Hell, I actually prefer the look and feel of the 5C.

Seems like misplaced energy and concern on Samsungs part. Clearly the all metal HTC phones isn't doing much to help their bottom line so actual consumers aren't all that concerned.

For sure, I am sick of buying metal phones and then spending hundreds buying and selling case to find one I like. If I had to buy a iPhone now I would get a 5C.

The only case I will be buying for my S5 will be the wireless back cover when available at a reasonable price.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Just because it's plastic doesn't make it impervious to scratches. The plastic chrome ring Samsung uses, I have seen plenty of devices with flaked off bits of the chrome paintwork revealing the white plastic underneath. I would put a case on any of my devices simply to preserve their resale value.

Robster3

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2012
Just because it's plastic doesn't make it impervious to scratches. The plastic chrome ring Samsung uses, I have seen plenty of devices with flaked off bits of the chrome paintwork revealing the white plastic underneath. I would put a case on any of my devices simply to preserve their resale value.

Samsung and resale you joking:p Maybe in the first few weeks but it's all down hill after that.
This has always been my take on Samsung. Work on S5. Release day in stores for $895 here anyway. 1 month later can be had for $800 on sale. That's what I paid. Another 2 weeks or so can be bought for $7-750. There is brand new Australian versions on eBay now for $699. By 3 months in you will get one for $6-650, 6 months $550- $600 or less. What all this means is 1 they are overpriced by Samsung to begin with and 2 re sale is up the creek, you would be lucky to get $450 for a near $900 phone. Most people wont buy second hand unless they are saving $100 or more. S4 was the same.
The Note 3 is different it seems to be holding better.

At least with Apple they don't drop their prices so re sale is usually up to 3/4 of new price if looked after.

It feels good now I can bag Samsung with a clear conscious as I have a S5.

Of course all this means jack if you find some sucker on eBay that hasn't done their homework :D

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
^ I actually got good resale value on my Samsung phones. The S5 for example could easily fetch between €450-500 here and the S4 in mint condition €350

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.