Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chaoweee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2014
i upgraded to the NEW Yosemite yesterday on my macbook pro for curiosity, i ran pretty normally yesterday. But it got frozen at login screen when I started it up. I tried every comands i could find, but none of them worked. Please help!

----------

I just couldn't work with my laptop, and such a problem really made me disppointed at Apple. I will never upgrade a beta OS again. It's a huge mistake.

jonbravo77

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Why are you disappointed at Apple? It's a beta, the first beta. It's going to be very buggy so they can get reports on what needs fixing. They tell you not to put it on main machines. They tell you to do a backup before installing it. They tell you it's for developers. But not many people listen, install it and then blame Apple. For the record I would say the same if this was Microsoft instead of Apple. It's a beta... I just don't get it.

chaoweee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2014
Why are you disappointed at Apple? It's a beta, the first beta. It's going to be very buggy so they can get reports on what needs fixing. They tell you not to put it on main machines. They tell you to do a backup before installing it. They tell you it's for developers. But not many people listen, install it and then blame Apple. For the record I would say the same if this was Microsoft instead of Apple. It's a beta... I just don't get it.[/Q

After use it for one time, you are just unable to login the system. Is this bug too big?

jonbravo77

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Why are you disappointed at Apple? It's a beta, the first beta. It's going to be very buggy so they can get reports on what needs fixing. They tell you not to put it on main machines. They tell you to do a backup before installing it. They tell you it's for developers. But not many people listen, install it and then blame Apple. For the record I would say the same if this was Microsoft instead of Apple. It's a beta... I just don't get it.[/Q

After use it for one time, you are just unable to login the system. Is this bug too big?

Does it freeze as in the mouse no longer moves or is it asking for a password? I installed Yosemite on a partition, did not set a password but when I would restart it would ask for a password and not let me in. Acted like it was frozen on the login screen but everything was working. In sure luck I was able to get in and when to login accounts in preferences and told it not to require login at start screen.

chaoweee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2014
Does it freeze as in the mouse no longer moves or is it asking for a password? I installed Yosemite on a partition, did not set a password but when I would restart it would ask for a password and not let me in. Acted like it was frozen on the login screen but everything was working. In sure luck I was able to get in and when to login accounts in preferences and told it not to require login at start screen.

The cursor is not frozen, but it turned to be a spinning wheel after I clicked the user name, or even Guest, which doesn't need a pw. The screen just stays there for long time. The bigger problem is that I failed to back up my data. Now I realized it was too risky to upgrade the beta on my whole hard drive. You did a great choice to install in just on a partition.

----------

Anyone who has the same problem?

jonbravo77

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
The cursor is not frozen, but it turned to be a spinning wheel after I clicked the user name, or even Guest, which doesn't need a pw. The screen just stays there for long time. The bigger problem is that I failed to back up my data. Now I realized it was too risky to upgrade the beta on my whole hard drive. You did a great choice to install in just on a partition.

----------

Anyone who has the same problem?

Have you tried a PRAM reset? Hard reboot and hold cmd-option-P-R? You should here the first chime, then black and a second chime then release

chaoweee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2014
K. How about using the recovery partition and repairing permissions? Just trying to see if you have tried everything before I suggest the inevitable and dumping everything and reinstalling Mavericks. :)[/QU

Where to find the recovery partition and repairing permissions?

I'll get the hard drive out of the laptop and transfer my data before I reinstall the Mavericks. That would be the last choice.

jonbravo77

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
K. How about using the recovery partition and repairing permissions? Just trying to see if you have tried everything before I suggest the inevitable and dumping everything and reinstalling Mavericks. :)[/QU

Where to find the recovery partition and repairing permissions?

I'll get the hard drive out of the laptop and transfer my data before I reinstall the Mavericks. That would be the last choice.

Restart and hold option key. It should show you your hard drive and the recovery hard drive. Go into the recovery hard drive, hit continue and there should be a disk utility option. You can repair from there.

chaoweee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2014
Restart and hold option key. It should show you your hard drive and the recovery hard drive. Go into the recovery hard drive, hit continue and there should be a disk utility option. You can repair from there.

Actually, only one hard drive shows up when I restart and hold the option key. But I found the disk utility by holding control and command when startup and did the repair desk permissions. It said everything was fine. But when I start the laptop again, I got the same result.

jonbravo77

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Actually, only one hard drive shows up when I restart and hold the option key. But I found the disk utility by holding control and command when startup and did the repair desk permissions. It said everything was fine. But when I start the laptop again, I got the same result.

Ok. That's all I have to help, sorry. If you do re-install Mavericks and all is well, do a partition (I did 80gigs) you can re-install Yosemite there and try to play.

Ramex

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2014
Same issue

This also happened to me... I get to the login screen and get the beach ball of death then the machine eventually reboots and does the same thing all over again...

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
i upgraded to the NEW Yosemite yesterday on my macbook pro for curiosity, i ran pretty normally yesterday. But it got frozen at login screen when I started it up. I tried every comands i could find, but none of them worked. Please help!

----------

I just couldn't work with my laptop, and such a problem really made me disppointed at Apple. I will never upgrade a beta OS again. It's a huge mistake.

It's a Developer Preview - Rule 1 - DO NOT INSTALL ON A WORKING/VITAL SYSTEM! Rule 2 - BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP! Rule 3 - DO NOT INSTALL ON A WORKING/VITAL SYSTEM!

That should help you out.

rpungello

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2011
It's a Developer Preview - Rule 1 - DO NOT INSTALL ON A WORKING/VITAL SYSTEM! Rule 2 - BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP! Rule 3 - DO NOT INSTALL ON A WORKING/VITAL SYSTEM!

Every time I see someone who doesn't get this I want to reach across the Internet and slap them. I don't see how Apple could have made it any clearer.

chaoweee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2014

Yes, i was stupid to install it on my working laptop, or any laptop. Finally, i reinstalled the Mavericks successfully and everything was still there, although I backed up before I did it.

----------

Every time I see someone who doesn't get this I want to reach across the Internet and slap them. I don't see how Apple could have made it any clearer.

Thank you! Apple Apologist! Hope such things never happened to you!

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008

I know you aren't a developer, but did you stop to think about what is going on behind the scenes of the login window?

There are literally a million and one things this could be, but you logic seems to be "It can't even handle a login screen!*"

That "one time" statement said it pretty clearly.

*Blissfully unaware of what goes on inside an operating system beyond the visible screen.

By the way, if you haven't formatted it yet, try an nvram reset. Shutdown the machine (hold down the power button until it turns off). Once you press the power button again hold down the following *ignore the parenthesis* (command,option, p, r). Hold them down until the machine restarts again and you hear the chime.

Hopefully that resolves it, but in general this is a good part of the troubleshooting procedures when you run into issues with a machine.

To say it frankly, this is why you don't use betas if you need that machine you're running on (if you don't have troubleshooting skills).

I hope the underlined helped. :)

Edit: Late to the party again I see :[

I don't have 10.10 but have you seen if safe mode is a working option?

Starting up in Safe Mode

To start up into Safe Mode (to Safe Boot), follow these steps.

Be sure your Mac is shut down.
Press the power button.
Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold the Shift key.
The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone, but not before the tone.
Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple logo and the progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear).
After the logo appears, you should see a progress bar during startup. This indicates that your computer is performing a directory check as part of Safe Mode.

chaoweee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2014
I know you aren't a developer, but did you stop to think about what is going on behind the scenes of the login window?

There are literally a million and one things this could be, but you logic seems to be "It can't even handle a login screen!*"

That "one time" statement said it pretty clearly.

*Blissfully unaware of what goes on inside an operating system beyond the visible screen.

By the way, if you haven't formatted it yet, try an nvram reset. Shutdown the machine (hold down the power button until it turns off). Once you press the power button again hold down the following *ignore the parenthesis* (command,option, p, r). Hold them down until the machine restarts again and you hear the chime.

Hopefully that resolves it, but in general this is a good part of the troubleshooting procedures when you run into issues with a machine.

To say it frankly, this is why you don't use betas if you need that machine you're running on (if you don't have troubleshooting skills).

I hope the underlined helped. :)

Edit: Late to the party again I see :[

I don't have 10.10 but have you seen if safe mode is a working option?

Starting up in Safe Mode

To start up into Safe Mode (to Safe Boot), follow these steps.

Be sure your Mac is shut down.
Press the power button.
Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold the Shift key.
The Shift key should be held as soon as possible after the startup tone, but not before the tone.
Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple logo and the progress indicator (looks like a spinning gear).
After the logo appears, you should see a progress bar during startup. This indicates that your computer is performing a directory check as part of Safe Mode.

When I saw the spinning wheel, I knew the OS was trying to get out of those possible "one million" threads or something. I was the unlucky one that it failed. Actually I didn't regard myself as a professional when i tried the NEW OS. It is "frustrating" to a general MAC user, which Yosemite is not designed for unfortunately.

Anyway, I've already solved the issue and I'm enjoying the old Mavericks back again now.

matram

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Sweden
Untick - automatic graphics switching

For me the bug seemed related to switching graphics mode during start-up from discrete graphics to integrated graphics. It seems this happens just before login.

By disabling "automatic graphics switching" in System Preferences > Energy Saver the problem was solved.

For me 10.10 always booted OK if connected to my Cinema Display which I guess had the same effect of forcing use of the discrete graphics.

lorenzo1300

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2014
Invite user

I got the same issue since I install yesterday the update from the 18th.
None of my password were working and I manage to get in through the invite user. I first got the spinning wheel until it finally let me in and from there I could switch user without any issue.
Annoying but it works

bergy620

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2014
[Resolved] Yosemite Login Spinner Issue

I had this same issue. When I came in to work today I hooked my monitor up to the HDMI port right after opening my Macbook Pro (2014 Retina) during boot up I also connected a second monitor using a DVI to Thunderbolt adapter. Login appeared as normal, after I logged in, I got a small spinner in the middle of the screen, no matter what I did I couldn't get past that – tried with power connected/disconnected, all combinations of monitors and peripherals connected/disconnected, etc. I reset my NVRAM, booted in safe mode, all the normal stuff, and nothing worked.

I read matram's comment about his cinema display causing the same issue and remembered hooking up displays during boot, that had to be it. He was able to login properly when his cinema display was connected and uncheck "Automatic graphics switching", but unfortunately for me, I couldn't get access to System Preferences at all. That's where the Terminal comes in. If you're having the same problems I'd recommend doing this (it worked for me):

1. Cold restart your Mac, when you hear the start up tone, press and hold CMD+R to boot in to recovery mode.
2. Select your language.
3. Ignore the window that pops up and go to the menu and look for Utilities (or OS X Utilities, can't quite remember).
4. It should have four or five options, choose Terminal. A white terminal window with a command prompt will appear on screen.
5. I was able to set my Mac to use discreet graphics from here, by typing the following commands (not sure which one did it, I used all three):
pmset gpuswitch 1
pmset -b gpuswitch 1
pmset -c gpuswitch 1
6. Reboot, cross your fingers, and login (I rebooted with the 'shutdown -r now' command but I don't think that matters).

This is the equivalent of checking the checkmark box that matram recommends, but it works through recovery mode if you can't start your machine to get to System Preferences.

I haven't rebooted since I've done this since I wanted to post before I forgot, but I'm hoping I won't have to do this every time I boot up. I did go in to System Preferences and ensure that the checkmark was left unchecked in both Battery and Power Adapter modes.

Hope this helps someone else! I found the pmset information on this thread in the Apple Support Communities forums: https://discussions.apple.com/message/13194684

Simplicated

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
Why are you disappointed at Apple? It's a beta, the first beta. It's going to be very buggy so they can get reports on what needs fixing. They tell you not to put it on main machines. They tell you to do a backup before installing it. They tell you it's for developers. But not many people listen, install it and then blame Apple. For the record I would say the same if this was Microsoft instead of Apple. It's a beta... I just don't get it.

No bug is too big during beta testing. That's what betas are for - catching bugs that the dev team otherwise couldn't find.

Last edited:

bradiroff

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
I left the office yesterday and had the same issue when I got home. I was getting a kind-of flashing login screen under normal boot and nothing was responsive to login or click.

Safe mode reboot (holding down shift) got me further (no blinking) but it would hang after password entry. I tried PRAM reset, etc mentioned above. The symptoms hinted at video card issues based on the way the blinking appeared.

I resolved the issues completely just now by rebooting while being connected to my TV with Mini Display Port => HDMI. Once booted and logged in, I unplugged it and all is well.

I have a cinema display at the office and I assume it would of resolved there as well.

Hope this helps!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.