Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Jun 8, 2014, 02:06 AM   #1
iBlazed
macrumors 6502a

GOP official compares current U.S. economy to Nazi Germany

And here we go again. I don't get it, is it socially acceptable these days for a politician (or anyone) to be a complete ****ing deranged lunatic with absolutely no shame? I find this to be downright insulting.

Quote:
There is an unwritten rule in the world of politics - don't compare anything to Hitler or Nazi Germany.

The unwritten rule, which seems to be violated often, was broken once again in the state of Indiana. Speaking at the Indiana Republican Convention in Fort Wayne on Saturday, the Indianapolis Star reports that Indiana Treasurer Richard Mourdock spoke about the current U.S. economy and claimed that it resembled the economy of Germany during the years Adolf Hitler was in charge.

Quote:
"The people of Germany in a free election selected the Nazi party because they made great promises that appealed to them because they were desperate and destitute...And why is that? Because Germany was bankrupt...

Over the next several years, every time a program began to fall apart, Mr. Hitler's party was very, very good at dividing Germany by pointing to this group or that group...First they went after their political opponents. Then they went after the aristocrats. Then they went after the trade unionists. And ultimately of course they went after the Jews. They deprived them of their property, their rights, their citizenship, and for millions their humanity. Because they were bankrupt!"
To his credit, Indiana's Republican Gov. Mike Pence spoke out against Mourdock's comments. Richard Mourdock ran for a Senate seat in 2012, but was defeated by Democrat challenger Joe Donnelly.
Link
iBlazed is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2014, 03:00 AM   #2
pdjudd
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBlazed View Post
And here we go again. I don't get it, is it socially acceptable these days for a politician (or anyone) to be a complete ****ing deranged lunatic with absolutely no shame? I find this to be downright insulting. \
It is, bit it is a quick and easy way to associate anyone with the most evil person in modern history - compare him to Hitler and make it sound as if it is the most appropriate solution out there.

Of course its not accurate and itís darned offensive, but they claim that they are telling it like it is - they use Hitler as a comparison because everybody knows who he is and will respond predictably.
pdjudd is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2014, 05:04 AM   #3
jkcerda
In Time-Out

http://m.newsbusters.org/node/14103
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2505759/posts

Both sides appear to play the same card
jkcerda is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2014, 05:12 AM   #4
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcerda View Post
Indeed, and in neither case is it in the least bit helpful. It only serves to coarsen political discourse.
skunk is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2014, 09:12 AM   #5
iBlazed
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Isn't it funny how you had to dig up articles from years back to find an example, where as the right does it on almost a daily frickin basis. And the second source is a right wing propaganda site. Free republic is a pretty funny name when your party is so devoted to the removal of personal freedoms, unless of course it's gun ownership. Go figure.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdjudd View Post
It is, bit it is a quick and easy way to associate anyone with the most evil person in modern history - compare him to Hitler and make it sound as if it is the most appropriate solution out there.

Of course its not accurate and itís darned offensive, but they claim that they are telling it like it is - they use Hitler as a comparison because everybody knows who he is and will respond predictably.
And ironically, it's their own agenda that more closely resembles that of the nazis (and is still far from it) and yet the dems rarely play the nazi card, as jkcerda kindly demonstrated with his outdated links.
iBlazed is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2014, 10:17 AM   #6
unlinked
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Isn't it funny how you had to dig up articles from years back to find an example, where as the right does it on almost a daily frickin basis.
It is almost like both sides only attack the presidency when the other guys have it.
unlinked is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2014, 10:24 AM   #7
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunk View Post
Indeed, and in neither case is it in the least bit helpful. It only serves to coarsen political discourse.
If that is, indeed, possible any more.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 10:25 AM   #8
chrf097
macrumors 68030

The difference is that Hitler made great economic promises just to secure his position so he could turn the Government over to the hands of the Nazi party.

Has the Democratic party done such? No? Time to move on.

The Republicans are getting desperate. They know their party is losing seats and in a few months we'll see how many are left.

chrf097 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2014, 10:35 AM   #9
iBlazed
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlinked View Post
It is almost like both sides only attack the presidency when the other guys have it.
True as that may be, I don't think there has ever been so much blatant disrespect for a US president in the history of this country. Many conservatives even refuse to address him as "President Obama".
Old Jun 8, 2014, 10:45 AM   #10
haxrnick
macrumors 6502

Am I the only one who reads everything that Skunk types in Dr. Lector's voice?

Sorry for the OT.
haxrnick is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2014, 11:14 AM   #11
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Any resemblance is purely superficial.
skunk is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2014, 12:18 PM   #12
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Richard Mourdock is a monument to the power of willful ignorance. He was an educated, successful geologist who has now turned himself into a caricature of an ignorant, backwoods politician. I question his sincerity-- a geologist accepting tons of coal-and-oil money and support who plays up to ignorant Fundamentalist/Authoritarians. I won't compare him to Hitler; I will compare him to George Wallace:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George..._into_politics

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Mourdock
jnpy!$4g3cwk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2014, 01:11 PM   #13
localoid
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by haxrnick View Post
Am I the only one who reads everything that Skunk types in Dr. Lector's voice? ...
Results of a CIA stylometric analysis done a few years back suggested "Edgar Allan Poe".
Old Jun 8, 2014, 01:20 PM   #14
vrDrew
macrumors 65816

This is just a generalized observation, but there are some topics people in politics ought to just stay away from.

Unless you are cutting the ribbon on a new Women's Crisis Center you helped get funding for - Republicans probably shouldn't talk about rape.

Republicans probably ought never to talk about Slavery. Ever. I believe that issue was settled some time ago. And there is little new information or perspective they can bring to the table.

Unless you are engaged in an academic or historical discussion on the topic, its probably not a good idea to bring up Nazis; Hitler etc. You can probably find a Nazi parallel to anything (fashion, medicine, movies) - but pointing this out to someone just makes you look like a tool.

I'm sure there are some other "don't go there" topics. But the foregoing would be my suggestions.
vrDrew is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2014, 01:28 PM   #15
jkcerda
In Time-Out

Quote:
Isn't it funny how you had to dig up articles from years back to find an example, where as the right does it on almost a daily frickin basis. And the second source is a right wing propaganda site. Free republic is a pretty funny name when your party is so devoted to the removal of personal freedoms, unless of course it's gun ownership. Go figure.

----------

And ironically, it's their own agenda that more closely resembles that of the nazis (and is still far from it) and yet the dems rarely play the nazi card, as jkcerda kindly demonstrated with his outdated links.
Put your victim card away, I'm not a republican. I was on the phone, it's a FACT BOTH sides use the hitler/nazi card to appeal to the lowest common denominator, posted the links from my phone

EDIT links are old because I searched for bush being called a nazi

Last edited by jkcerda; Jun 8, 2014 at 01:33 PM.
Old Jun 8, 2014, 01:54 PM   #16
iBlazed
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Put your victim card away, I'm not a republican
Where in that quote was the part where I'm playing the victim card?
Old Jun 8, 2014, 02:05 PM   #17
jkcerda
In Time-Out

Quote:
Where in that quote was the part where I'm playing the victim card?
Please. You complained about the date of the article even claimed it is rarely done. Do a search. Democrats have done the comparison plenty of times , BOTH sides like to do it , tons of pics out there with bush as a chimp/hitler/joker. Same pics will have Obama. http://www.realclearpolitics.com/art...ars_97812.html

http://cheezburger.com/2556645632

Some people are only outraged when it happens to the guy they support.

How do you feel about the nazi/hitler comparison of Bush?
Old Jun 8, 2014, 02:15 PM   #18
satcomer
macrumors 601

I am starting to think the current Administration are going after Log Cabin Republications. The lead to the current case Break-in at GOP candidateís office. To me this is starting to look scary.
satcomer is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues