Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dolorian

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 25, 2007
Wondering, is it possible to have one's username changed?

soloer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2004
Omaha
I know names can be changed, and a couple of the reasons in the FAQ make sense. However, I wish they'd allow people to change it one time without having to jump through hoops.

soloer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2004
Omaha
Like what hoops?

Going through the FAQ, trying to understand the importance of each item, then hope that when you explain your situation while using the contact form that the admins might actually agree with you.

Let's look at the FAQ:

Other forum members will be confused, wondering where you went or how an apparently new member appeared.

I would think most people realize this. If someone wanted other people to know they changed their name, I imagine they would tell them.

Your new user name will be shown next to each of your posts, but posts that mention you by name will still show your old user name, causing further confusion.

This doesn't seem too confusing at all.

In particular, posts that quote your posts will say Originally Posted by (oldusername) while the linked-to post will not match that name.

See above.

If you have participated in editing any of the MacRumors Guides, the edit history will show the wrong information, listing the old user name as page author and in edit histories.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but would this even affect 1% of people using the forums?

If you use the Marketplace forum, your records of successful transactions will probably be missed by other users.

Can't address this as I don't use that forum. Seems like a good point though.

If you use the same name at multiple websites and think that your user name at MacRumors should match, remember that making yourself easier to find across websites can have disadvantages as well. Using different user names adds to your privacy.

True, though if someone uses the same username on multiple other websites they probably already realize this.

If you have been mentioned in lists or forum announcements or been given kudos for achievements, e.g., contest winners, member directories, top poster reports, or credit for news story submissions, they will reflect the wrong user name.

Valid point and good info.

User names can be changed only manually by the administrators. While we understand that it is sometimes necessary, handling such requests, including the required recordkeeping, takes time away from work that benefits all forum users.

I'm curious how long this takes. 5 minutes? I know the site has a lot of users, but are there really that many people requesting username changes that this time is a factor in site performance/administration?

Again, keep in mind I mentioned a one time change, not willy-nilly whenever people want.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
It's not really so much of jumping through hoops per se. Basically all that is asked of a member wishing to change their username is that they read and understand the FAQ and let us know that and say that they would like to change their name still.

Once that is said, the admins go ahead and change it. It doesn't take but a minute or so - once they have a chance to do it of course.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
SBG is right. It's not a big deal, and all that information is basically a service to members. Some of these ramifications are things that don't occur to some of the members considering a name change.

Some members actually change their minds after reading the info.

But yeah, while we don't encourage it, we do it for members who've read the info and still want to go ahead.

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
Some members actually change their minds after reading the info.

That would be me... :)
I've come quite close to changing my handle at times. It just doesn't appeal to me near as much as it did before- I registered to ask a quick question and threw it out there as something I had used before.
I figured once I passed 1000 posts people might question it if I suddenly changed names.

Plus, a lot of the good names are already taken. That means you, user Spock!

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
The site admin could write a little code to allow the users to change their names willy nilly. That would take the admin role out of it. Sure, sure, throw a couple of the warnings up, but to me it's all just crap.

Seriously, I bristle at every excuse I read about why someone should not change their username. It's like car salesman crap. I head in to by a new car and want it in black, but they don't have black in stock so they try to tell me every reason why white would be so much better. Just **** take my money and order what I want.

Usernames are personal and USERS should be able to change them.

Felasco

Oct 19, 2012
Forums might be better off without any of us having usernames. Being human, we tend to attach our egos to our username, and then fight to defend our imaginary turf, which can clog the forum with ego driven exchanges that really have little to do with the topic.

A post is useful, or it's not. What difference does it make if SnoppyDog27 or Ebunkumdinko39 wrote the post?

If a poster has verifiable credentials which are relevant to the topic of the forum, it could be helpful to see that info in their sig.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
The site admin could write a little code to allow the users to change their names willy nilly. That would take the admin role out of it. Sure, sure, throw a couple of the warnings up, but to me it's all just crap.

Seriously, I bristle at every excuse I read about why someone should not change their username. It's like car salesman crap. I head in to by a new car and want it in black, but they don't have black in stock so they try to tell me every reason why white would be so much better. Just **** take my money and order what I want.

Interesting, if totally confusing, analogy. :confused:

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Haha! It was a crazy, before coffee rant. I'm better now. My Vessyl told me it was time to have caffeine.

Simple customer service. Just give the customer what they want.

Last edited:

Felasco

Oct 19, 2012
I think I know what I'll change my username to in the future! :D

Yes indeed, good idea.

Mods, could you change all our usernames to Ebunkumdinko39 please?

Oh, wait, please capitalize half of them and not the other half, so we can argue over which is best.

Thank you very much!

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow

First of all, there's a practical consideration here. Any custom code is in danger of being broken whenever something bigger is done (this isn't my area of expertise, to put it mildly, so bear with my less-than-technical description).

As to the rest of your post, the reasons people might not want to change their handles aren't excuses, they are real ramifications that matter to some. If they don't matter to you, and you'd like your name changed, you know how to go about it. It's really that simple.

I think there's a reason most people don't even consider changing. When you've participated in any group, you become known by whatever you're called. It could be your real name, a nickname, whatever. It's basically just a way to keep people straight in our minds. Here, for example, you might see that a member whose posts you generally enjoy has posted, because you recognise his name. You might also avoid posts by a member who's posted things you DON'T like. Either way, the name serves a purpose.

Really, though, you're trying to knock on an open door here. No one is saying you can't change your username. But since experience has shown that name changes can cause confusion, we like to ask people to read through the FAQ section first. If they then want to change, that's fine.

In this case, we DO give the customer what he wants.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
I'm not trying to anger anyone or step on anyone's toes here. I just hear this, literally on a daily basis. It does touch a nerve for me.

First of all, there's a practical consideration here. Any custom code is in danger of being broken whenever something bigger is done (this isn't my area of expertise, to put it mildly, so bear with my less-than-technical description).
Any custom code written by a mildly competent person will use userID's instead of names ( or ID for this site ).

As to the rest of your post, the reasons people might not want to change their handles aren't excuses, they are real ramifications that matter to some. If they don't matter to you, and you'd like your name changed, you know how to go about it. It's really that simple.
I believe you've misread my post. I don't care at all if people do or don't want to change their names. Only that the excuses given as to why the CANNOT are silly.

I think there's a reason most people don't even consider changing. When you've participated in any group, you become known by whatever you're called. It could be your real name, a nickname, whatever. It's basically just a way to keep people straight in our minds. Here, for example, you might see that a member whose posts you generally enjoy has posted, because you recognise his name. You might also avoid posts by a member who's posted things you DON'T like. Either way, the name serves a purpose.
Fantastic. If you do NOT want to change your name then the point is moot. My only concern is for the ones the DO. When I move, my friends and family really don't have a problem finding me. If I changed my name, I don't think anyone would be confused. Nor would they care. The 1 person that would care, my mom, would actually know that I changed my name. She's old and easily confused; I bet she could handle the ground breaking written works that I post here and attribute it back to me. Actually, she probably wouldn't. Billy, did you read about the iOS8 speech bug? Yes mom, I wrote about it. Remember, I changed my name from MacLovin1982 to GoatMan.

...we DO give the customer what he wants.
Yes, you do a fantastic job. This has to do with the backend coding based off of old excuses, propagated with no real justification, besides the false 3rd party assumption of: "When we originally wrote this, we didn't think of that and now we don't know how to fix it without breaking everything."

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Any custom code written by a mildly competent person will use userID's instead of names ( or ID for this site ).

This is much, much harder than you think.

Let's just say that I refer to Shrink by his username in this post, and he now decides to change his username. There is no userID associated with his name in the text of my post.

Let's also say that I make some witty pun about having Shrink shrink my head.

Do we actually replace all uses of "shrink" in the text of forum posts with "Ebunkumdinko39"?

Unlike your personal name change, the problem lies in the "permanent record" that is the basis for the forum.

B

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
This is much, much harder than you think.
I see your point. When quoting you for example your site uses usernames. Future quotes notifications after a name change would go where? This is a weak point in your base code.
Code:
[quote="balamw, post: 19239992"] Instead of u=56914

If your code lookup pulled usernames by ID instead of username, then the fix would be instant. All posts relating to Shrink the shrink would change to Bob the shink

I would fix the quote notifications to... never mind. It's much easier to just say that it is a big problem.

I've written the code for many clients to allow name changes by the user; because it is such a desired component. Poorly coded plugins or addons can/do cause problems. Like the vBulletin mod you are using; basing notifications on usernames instead of the userIDs as the example.

Probably why it hits a nerve in me.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.