Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

0penCr8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2012
California, USA
Hi,
I am trying to do a seemingly simple task which is proving to be a bit of a nightmare. Last night I wiped my computer and reinstalled Mountain Lion. I have a Time Machine backup on my 5 TB external hard drive. I would like to duplicate the Backups.backupdb folder onto the same drive. When I right click on the folder and select "Duplicate" I get an error message saying: "The backup can’t be copied because the backup volume doesn’t have ownership enabled." So I looked up how to enable ownership. EVERY website said to open the Get Info panel for the volume and select the checkbox "Ignore ownership on this volume." There is no checkbox. I've tried looking online to find an explanation for why I do not have a checkbox but I have yet to find one. Then I thought why not create a 1 TB disk image and copy the folder in there. It wouldn't let me do this because I didn't have enough permissions so I logged in as root and ran cp. After 16 hours of it copying with a handful of error messages, it ran through seemingly all of the file paths in the disk image and said "No such file or directory." I quit Terminal. The disk image was full. In disk utility it said there was 8 KB left in a 1.02 TB image. When I mounted the image and looked inside, I found SOME of my backups. The recent ones were nowhere to be found and it obviously did not copy everything. So, after all that I don't know what to do. I just want to copy that folder which apparently is a very high maintenance folder. Thanks for reading and any insight is much appreciated.

Jake

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.