Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 8, 2014, 11:23 PM   #1
Technarchy
macrumors 68040
 
Technarchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
HIV/AIDS among teens in America

I support sex ed for high school age students. I think it's important because without better sex ed programs we end up with these dreadful statistics among teens related to HIV/AIDS.

Source: CDC
http://www.cdc.gov/healthyyouth/sexu...sheet_ymsm.pdf

Quote:
Overview

HIV infection affects certain groups of young people disproportionately, especially
Young men who have sex with men:

ƒ-Among adolescent males aged 13–19 years, approximately 91% of all diagnosed HIV infections are from male-to-male sexual contact.

Black adolescents:
ƒ In 2009, 73% of all diagnosed HIV infections in youth aged 13–19 years were among black youth, even though blacks represented only 17% of the population in that age group.
I was high school student when AIDS went mainstream in the late 1980's and early 90's, and we had it drilled into our heads that you abstain from sex or wear a condem. We have had several gay men and former heroin users come to school and tell us first hand that drugs/needles and unprotected sex was high risk.

So why isn't the message continuing to reverberate among Gen Y and millennials? Gay and black teens especially.
__________________
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2014, 11:51 PM   #2
iBlazed
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Home of Gov. Chris Crispy
Kids think they're invincible. I honestly think they mostly know the basic concept of "if you don't use condoms, you can catch something", but they're teens and they have that stupid "it'll never happen to me" mentality. But it's only because the part of their brains responsible for consequence prediction aren't fully developed at that age.
iBlazed is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2014, 11:53 PM   #3
jkcerda
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBlazed View Post
Kids think they're invincible. I honestly think they mostly know the basic concept of "if you don't use condoms, you can catch something", but they're teens and they have that stupid "it'll never happen to me" mentality. But it's only because the part of their brains responsible for consequence prediction aren't fully developed at that age.
pretty much it.
jkcerda is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2014, 12:06 AM   #4
shinji
macrumors 6502a
 
shinji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
I don't think the rise is due to a large percentage intentionally infecting others with HIV. It's that not enough young people are getting tested regularly.
shinji is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2014, 12:17 AM   #5
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
I once read an article which explained that there is a higher HIV/AIDS rate amongst black gays in America because of a smaller social circle.

I would assume this is the same amongst straight blacks and gays of all races.
LIVEFRMNYC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2014, 12:18 AM   #6
Technarchy
Thread Starter
macrumors 68040
 
Technarchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBlazed View Post
Kids think they're invincible. I honestly think they mostly know the basic concept of "if you don't use condoms, you can catch something", but they're teens and they have that stupid "it'll never happen to me" mentality. But it's only because the part of their brains responsible for consequence prediction aren't fully developed at that age.
Partly, but with 73% of new cases among teens being black, and 91% being gay, we have two demographics that are overwhelmingly affected.

It's not great mystery at this point that HIV/AIDS is a big concern for a gay community. We've known this for about 30-40 years.

I kinda think my generation (Gen X) got a first hand glimpse because we lost a few notable fame names in a short period of time, so we knew that HIV/AIDS was dangerous business.

To this day I remember the following people died of HIV/AIDS when I was a kid.

Kevin Peter Hall
Eazy-E
Anthony Perkins
The incredibly talented and great Freddy Mercury.

I wonder if this level of public loss, and lack of headlines is aiding in people falling into a false sense of security. Would the loss of a Anderson Cooper, Frank Ocean or someone else current and relevant wake people up that unprotected sex and drug needles can kill you.
__________________
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2014, 12:29 AM   #7
iBlazed
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Home of Gov. Chris Crispy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post
Partly, but with 73% of new cases among teens being black, and 91% being gay, we have two demographics that are overwhelmingly affected.
I think it may have something to do with the fact that straight teens are more likely to have protected sex because they're afraid of the risk of pregnancy more so than they're afraid of STD's. Gay teens, on the other hand, may feel that they have nothing to fear because obviously there's no chance of pregnancy. As to why most of these gay teens with HIV are black, I really have no theory for that.
iBlazed is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2014, 12:31 AM   #8
Technarchy
Thread Starter
macrumors 68040
 
Technarchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBlazed View Post
I think it may have something to do with the fact that straight teens are more likely to have protected sex because they're afraid of the risk of pregnancy more so than they're afraid of STD's. Gay teens, on the other hand, may feel that they have nothing to fear because obviously there's no chance of pregnancy.
Good point. Was talking to my wife about this earlier and she came to the same conclusion.
__________________
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2014, 12:33 AM   #9
Prof.
macrumors 601
 
Prof.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Chicago
As a gay man and as someone who has studied HIV on his own on and off for the past three and-a-half years, I'd like to voice my opinion.

My post will be sexually explicit. Those weak of heart take note.

Many many high schools that I am familiar with where I live support Abstinence-only education. Not once did the word "Condom" come out of the mouth of my Sex-Ed teacher in Middle School or High School. Essentially, our curriculum regarding sex was, "Don't have sex before marriage because God". We have tweens and teens in the country that do not know or think they have to use a condom when engaging in vaginal or anal sex. They feel "pulling out" is an effective practice to prevent pregnancy during vaginal sex. Furthermore, I have talked to some people who do not wear a condom when having anal sex because "you can't get the girl pregnant", it feels better without the condom. It feels better. In my experience with leading safe-sex education at my college, the primary concern amongst my peers is impregnating a girl, and not STI's/HIV.

I remember my first year of college I was helping out at a HIV testing 'fair' the student activities office was organizing, I was going around explaining that we were offering free HIV testing, and those who got tested got free tickets to a Q101 music festival. A guy in line said "Psshhh I like vag, I don't have to worry about that ****" To which the guys in line with him responded with laughter. Young heterosexual men still think HIV is a gay man's disease, that they are unable to get HIV. Scary.

When it comes to gay men, unfortunately condom use is falling within the community because, like I mentioned above, it feels better without the condom. Moreover, the sex is more exciting and there's more of a rush when you finish if you don't wear a condom. Many gay men don't want their sexual partner to wear a condom because they want the guy who is topping them to cum inside them; they get off on knowing that the dude finished inside them. This segways into the small number of gays who actively seek out other gay men who are HIV+

Known as "Poz Pig", it's when a gay man who is HIV- seeks a man who is HIV+ in order to become HIV+ himself. Also, you have gay men who are HIV+ who intentionally seek out gay men who are HIV- in order to infect them with the Human Immunodeficiency Virus. Both groups of men get off on knowing that their partner is HIV+ or knowing that their sexual partner is HIV- and that they're going to infect them.

We desperately need to teach our children safer-sex to help reduce STI/HIV infections, but when you have old fashioned conservative leaders in charge of their local school districts, it sometimes seems this is going to be an uphill battle.
__________________
"Capitalism is the extraordinary belief that the nastiest of men for the nastiest of motives will somehow work for the benefit of all"
- John Maynard Keynes
Prof. is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2014, 12:38 AM   #10
iBlazed
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Home of Gov. Chris Crispy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. View Post
Known as "Poz Pig", it's when a gay man who is HIV- seeks a man who is HIV+ in order to become HIV+ himself. Also, you have gay men who are HIV+ who intentionally seek out gay men who are HIV- in order to infect them with the Human Immunodeficiency Virus. Both groups of men get off on knowing that their partner is HIV+ or knowing that their sexual partner is HIV- and that they're going to infect them.
Whoah. I seriously hope this is a small minority that has this sick little fetish.
iBlazed is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2014, 12:40 AM   #11
Prof.
macrumors 601
 
Prof.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBlazed View Post
Whoah. I seriously hope this is a small minority that has this sick little fetish.
Small enough where I can't find much research about it, but large enough that it's a well-known thing within the gay community.
__________________
"Capitalism is the extraordinary belief that the nastiest of men for the nastiest of motives will somehow work for the benefit of all"
- John Maynard Keynes
Prof. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2014, 12:47 AM   #12
Technarchy
Thread Starter
macrumors 68040
 
Technarchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBlazed View Post
Whoah. I seriously hope this is a small minority that has this sick little fetish.
I've never heard that term before and it's pretty horrifying.

Though in NYC there were plenty of cases were infected men intentionally infected other men for revenge, anger, regret, someone to relate to.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. View Post
Many many high schools that I am familiar with where I live support Abstinence-only education. Not once did the word "Condom" come out of the mouth of my Sex-Ed teacher in Middle School or High School.
Is Chicago your native city? Seems odd for a big city school to lack these types of education.

My Brooklyn, NYC HS, was about 75% black and we were inundated with AIDS/HIV education, sex ed and free condoms, with a dedicated nursing section that performed STD testing and pregnancy tests.
__________________
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2014, 12:48 AM   #13
Prof.
macrumors 601
 
Prof.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post
Is Chicago your native city? Seems odd for a big city school to lack these types of education.

My Brooklyn, NYC HS, was about 75% black and we were inundated with AIDS/HIV education, sex ed and free condoms, with a dedicated nursing section that performed STD testing and pregnancy tests.
I live in the western Chicago suburbs where the majority of the population is Christian/Conservative. Hence why we have abstinence only education.
__________________
"Capitalism is the extraordinary belief that the nastiest of men for the nastiest of motives will somehow work for the benefit of all"
- John Maynard Keynes

Last edited by Prof.; Jun 9, 2014 at 12:55 AM.
Prof. is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2014, 08:17 AM   #14
Southern Dad
macrumors 6502a
 
Southern Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Peach State
When HIV/AIDS first came to light everyone was worried about it because it killed people. Eddie Murphy even had a routine about it. Today's youth do not fear HIV/AIDS because they think it can be cured. They don't see it as a death sentence.

HIV/AIDS is one of those things that are kept on the down low. They don't have television commercials saying, "I got AIDS from unprotected sex" or sharing needles or whatever. Even cigarettes now have those commercials.
Southern Dad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2014, 12:21 PM   #15
Prof.
macrumors 601
 
Prof.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Dad View Post
When HIV/AIDS first came to light everyone was worried about it because it killed people. Eddie Murphy even had a routine about it. Today's youth do not fear HIV/AIDS because they think it can be cured. They don't see it as a death sentence.

HIV/AIDS is one of those things that are kept on the down low. They don't have television commercials saying, "I got AIDS from unprotected sex" or sharing needles or whatever. Even cigarettes now have those commercials.
This is mostly true. Many of the MD's and Clinicians I've talked to compare HIV to diabetes in that both are treatable conditions and you can live a full and healthy life with the proper medication*.

*Providing you can find a way to pay the $800 - $1,200/mo for the anti-retrovirals.
__________________
"Capitalism is the extraordinary belief that the nastiest of men for the nastiest of motives will somehow work for the benefit of all"
- John Maynard Keynes
Prof. is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2014, 12:34 PM   #16
eljanitor
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Why can't they wait? I slept around as a teenager, not as much as some of my friends might have, but I did a bit, and thank God I didn't get HIV or worse. I did get an STD as a teenager that was treatable, and it was a wake up call. If you sleep around you may get an STD, and it may end you, so maybe you shouldn't sleep around, or have sex with people who do.

Looking back as an adult, I wish I would have done things differently. I broke some hearts, and had mine broken too. Teenagers really don't consider that sex may end up being more then they bargain for. Maybe it has to do with raging hormones, and maybe for some it's to get the bragging rights to say they slept with so and so. Or bragging rights to say that they aren't a virgin anymore.

Unfortunately you're not going to be able to have sex with someone and just get it done for fun. You're going to form a bond with someone. Maybe part of teaching safe sex to teenagers is should be to wait till you're married and want to have kids and form that bond with someone special. After all that's what sex is all about.
eljanitor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2014, 12:42 PM   #17
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by eljanitor View Post
Maybe part of teaching safe sex to teenagers is should be to wait till you're married and want to have kids and form that bond with someone special. After all that's what sex is all about.
That's like expecting the majority to only eat one serving size from a tub of ice cream. Not gonna happen.
LIVEFRMNYC is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2014, 01:27 PM   #18
Southern Dad
macrumors 6502a
 
Southern Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Peach State
From the time I was a kid, I knew that if you are unsure about the weather you don't go outdoors without a raincoat. Unfortunately, many people today aren't worried about contracting a disease or creating a pregnancy. After all, they feel that they can get treatment for the disease and well that unborn child is easily disposed of…

There was a time when both of those two situations were flat out scary and life changing.
Southern Dad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2014, 01:34 PM   #19
lannister80
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicagoland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. View Post
I live in the western Chicago suburbs where the majority of the population is Christian/Conservative. Hence why we have abstinence only education.
Naperthrill?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Dad View Post
After all, they feel that they can get treatment for the disease and well that unborn child is easily disposed of…
I take issue with "easily".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Dad View Post
There was a time when both of those two situations were flat out scary and life changing.
More strawmen.

I imagine a pregnancy/abortion as a teen is ****ing terrifying and absolutely life-changing.
__________________
Early 2008 Mac Pro, 8x2.8GHz, 3.25TB, 18GB RAM
UnRAID NAS, 9TB storage, 3TB parity, 400GB cache
lannister80 is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2014, 01:47 PM   #20
Prof.
macrumors 601
 
Prof.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by lannister80 View Post
Naperthrill?

Worse. Wheaton.
__________________
"Capitalism is the extraordinary belief that the nastiest of men for the nastiest of motives will somehow work for the benefit of all"
- John Maynard Keynes
Prof. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2014, 01:48 PM   #21
Technarchy
Thread Starter
macrumors 68040
 
Technarchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Dad View Post
When HIV/AIDS first came to light everyone was worried about it because it killed people. Eddie Murphy even had a routine about it. Today's youth do not fear HIV/AIDS because they think it can be cured. They don't see it as a death sentence.

HIV/AIDS is one of those things that are kept on the down low. They don't have television commercials saying, "I got AIDS from unprotected sex" or sharing needles or whatever. Even cigarettes now have those commercials.
With the amount of LBGT personalities that are prominent in today's society you'd think some would have PSA's, or proactive outreach along the lines of (PRODUCT) RED and Red Hot + Blue, but more aggressive.

CDC says a whooping 91% of new AIDS cases among teens are the direct result of primarily male on male sexual contact.

You'd think we would have more people on TV and radio selling the merit of condoms and safe sex in the homosexual community. Boys with AIDS become men with AIDS, and one person can infect dozens or hundreds more over a lifetime directly or by proxy.

Obviously the word has gotten out among needle based drug users and that statistic has improved dramatically since the early 1990's. Rehab and clean needle programs, and heroin falling out of flavor have really helped.

The best chance for education and prevention seems to be during adolescence.
__________________
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2014, 01:59 PM   #22
lannister80
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chicagoland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof. View Post
Worse. Wheaton.
Oh God, that is worse...

Slightly less money, but a lot more religion.
__________________
Early 2008 Mac Pro, 8x2.8GHz, 3.25TB, 18GB RAM
UnRAID NAS, 9TB storage, 3TB parity, 400GB cache
lannister80 is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2014, 02:09 PM   #23
Southern Dad
macrumors 6502a
 
Southern Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Peach State
Quote:
Originally Posted by lannister80 View Post
Naperthrill?
I take issue with "easily".

More strawmen.

I imagine a pregnancy/abortion as a teen is ****ing terrifying and absolutely life-changing.
It's not a strawman argument, nor am I saying it is a bad thing. I'm pro-abortion, mind you. What I am saying is that in decades past, either getting pregnant or getting VD was a horrible thing that had huge stigma attached to it, that had long lasting effects on a person's life.

But today with modern medicine to be able to keep HIV at bay and readily available abortions it has changed that situation. Young people are sure that only happens to other people.

When I was growing up the two reasons you always used a condom was so that you didn't get VD and so she didn't get pregnant.

Last edited by Southern Dad; Jun 9, 2014 at 02:21 PM.
Southern Dad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2014, 06:11 PM   #24
dime21
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post
I support sex ed for high school age students. I think it's important because without better sex ed programs we end up with these dreadful statistics among teens related to HIV/AIDS.
You claim that the lack of sex-ed is causing these "dreadful statistics", but this fact tells a different story: that homosexuality is the root cause of these "dreadful statistics". 91% is pretty damning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post
Among adolescent males aged 13–19 years, approximately 91% of all diagnosed HIV infections are from male-to-male sexual contact.
__________________
B.O. Stinks! Prevent embarrassing B.O. problems- Vote Republican!
dime21 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2014, 06:36 PM   #25
thekev
macrumors 603
 
thekev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by dime21 View Post
You claim that the lack of sex-ed is causing these "dreadful statistics", but this fact tells a different story: that homosexuality is the root cause of these "dreadful statistics". 91% is pretty damning.
That is still one of many STDs, and the risk of pregnancy was mentioned earlier in the thread. HIV happened to be the thread topic, but it's not the only thing covered in a sex-ed program. In my opinion, some people could obviously use a refresher course.
__________________
world's largest manufacturer of tin foil hats, none of that aluminum foil crap.

Last edited by thekev; Jun 10, 2014 at 02:10 AM.
thekev is online now   0 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
hearing aids hotrod351 iPhone Accessories 3 Apr 13, 2014 08:24 PM
MFi Hearing Aids guzhogi iPhone Accessories 0 Nov 25, 2013 03:50 PM
Hearing aids made for iPhone carlgo iPhone 7 Oct 4, 2013 09:57 AM
iPad: Bluetooth and hearing aids Ardingly iPad Accessories 2 Jan 7, 2013 02:46 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:41 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC