Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
And won't wake up - so anyone have this happen to them?

I can't follow the data transfer if the screen is blank and I won't know when its finished. This is not a good thing and I'd like to get some answers soon - thanks,

D

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
FTR - called Apple and they said it might be due to a drive problem on the G4 - seems odd, but I rebooted both machines and used the migration manager instead of directly in the setup manager and it seems to be working - well, at least so far.

Its taking a ....long.... time to transfer 110 Gigs over the firewire, almost 2 hours - and its still says its got 1 hour and 13 minutes to go.

Bleh,

D

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Mr. Anderson said:
Its taking a ....long.... time to transfer 110 Gigs over the firewire, almost 2 hours - and its still says its got 1 hour and 13 minutes to go.

That's not that long D, :p

I remember back in the day, for my final degree project I made a 9 minute graphic film, I was rendering it right up until the last hour before it was due to be premiered at our degree show at Coventry City Football club, managed to somehow compress it down to fit on a 4GB HD (this was back in '99) just managed to finish rendering, and all I had to do was copy it across to a Media 100 suite and output it onto DigitalS and Wham Bam, Thank You Ma'am... :D ended up taking 2 days to copy it across the network on to the Media 100 suite, missed my degree show slot, and it cost me a 1st. :(

So yeah... a couple of hours isn't all that long D, go cover yourself in Vaseline and do a couple of laps in that lake of yours. ;) :p post pictures too. heheh.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
There was an issue with the disk in the G4 - some files hung the whole system - so I had to reinstall all the apps from scrach. I've got everything now except the mail accounts done.

I'm going to post a specific question on that now...

D

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
iGav said:
go cover yourself in Vaseline and do a couple of laps in that lake of yours. ;) :p post pictures too. heheh.

I'm hoping you want pics of the computer and not me slathered up in Vaseline ;)

D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.