Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
Ladies and gentlemen, it's tournament time. :)

Later this week the eyes of the footballing world will fall on South America as the 2014 World Cup kicks off in Brazil. The world's top teams (and England) will be competing for the top prize in international soccerball, but even that gleaming trophy plays second fiddle to the most prestigious prize going - the MacRumors Fantasy Football World Championship.

WC2014.png

Four years ago Tilpots won our first ever international tournament at the 2010 World Cup, whilst pivo6 took the plaudits two years ago in our Euro 2012 game.

The previous two tournaments have been run using ESPN's fantasy game, but unfortunately it doesn't appear they're running a game this time around. Instead then we're turning to the official game on the FIFA website.

How do I sign up?
Simply register on FIFA's site and set up your team. Once you're set up, drop me a PM and I'll send you a link to our private MacRumors Tournament. Unfortunately it seems the FIFA game doesn't give you too many options when it comes to personalising your team's identity (you can't even pick a name for your team, bizarrely), so if you could let me know the following in your PM it'll be a huge help for me in organising our League Table...

• The name you've registered on the FIFA site under.
  • The team name you'd like me to use on our League Table.
  • Your team's colours.

Rules
The game uses a scoring system that shouldn't be too surprising to those of you familiar with our fantasy leagues - you can find a full run down of the rules here.

So pick your squads and get 'em on that plane!

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
:) In.

The rules have some quirks to them so def give them a look over. One big difference from the EPL game is that you can sub a player who's already played for one who hasn't. Some other plays not typically rewarded are also given points in this game. It should be interesting.

Also a big thanks to Jaffa for setting up the league. Looking forward to a fun tourney!

Viva la Stoplights!

wiimixer

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2011
Hi Jaffa.

I'm faffing around with my phone - struggling to PM you, so resorting to the forum I'm afraid.

I'm registered with FIFA/McDonalds. These are my details:

phil.black / wiimixer@mac.com
Tall Saintsland
We play in White

Let me know if you need anything more.

Thanks for organising, and good luck!

PB

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
I'm too busy these days, so I'm going to have to sit this one out. Best of luck to y'all!

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Cheers, lads! I'll register and have a look later this evening.

Did I understand right that Tilpots won this thing last time?! Makes me doubt the competition on here a bit but meh, it's a WorldCup I guess I'll have to play..

Great logo, Jaffa!

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
Did I understand right that Tilpots won this thing last time?! Makes me doubt the competition on here a bit but meh, it's a WorldCup I guess I'll have to play..
Well, we run an international game every two years when it's World Cup or European Championship time - the winner is then our World Champion. Tilpots won the competition run during the 2010 World Cup, but pivo6 was victorious at Euro 2012 so in effect he's our reigning World Champ.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Cheers, lads! I'll register and have a look later this evening.

Great logo, Jaffa!

:confused:

I was thinking the same thing about the EPL season. :)

Well, we run an international game every two years when it's World Cup or European Championship time - the winner is then our World Champion. Tilpots won the competition run during the 2010 World Cup, but pivo6 was victorious at Euro 2012 so in effect he's our reigning World Champ.

From now on, I'd prefer you refer to me as Tilpots, Reigning World Cup Champion. Also Tilpots the Victorious is acceptable. Call my manager if you have any other questions. Kthanxbye.

wiimixer

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2011
Squad, team & capt. selected for Tall Saintsland. A bit of a chore in all honesty. £100m doesn't go very far on proven internationals!

Looking forward to my invitation to join the MacRumors comp., and doing battle once more.

wiimixer

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Do it have to happen tonight or is tomorrow still fine?
Don't want to go through this via phone..

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
Also, remember there are no transfers allowed until after all the group matches, so your squad has to make it through 3 rounds of matches.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
never got my confirmation email. can't be bothered with sorting it out. have fun. best of luck to all.

I received mine just now - seconds after registration....but in my spam folder. Rightly so probably but you could check that. Please Pachy! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.