Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 9, 2014, 03:09 PM   #1
jkcerda
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
‘Dating Lesson’

Quote:
Asks Eighth-Grade Girls To Publicly Declare How Far They Will Go Sexually

At least one pair of parents is fuming after their eighth-grade daughter came home from school saying that every student in her class had to indicate – publicly – how far they are prepared to go sexually.

Some of the labeled signs were innocuous, according to KGTV. These included “smiled at,” “hugged” and “kissed.”

Other signs, such as “above the waist,” “below the waist” and “all the way,” were to varying degrees considerably less innocuous.

“To put them up in front of their friends to be humiliated or to be asked questions that I believe are personal, it’s really none of the school’s business,” one of the peeved parents told the ABC station.

The parent added that her daughter felt confused and peer-pressured afterward.

Officials at the taxpayer-funded school defended the exercise, calling it a dating lesson.
http://news.yahoo.com/dating-lesson-...172004304.html

the level of stupidity among some so called "educators" is amazing.
jkcerda is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2014, 03:14 PM   #2
quagmire
macrumors 603
 
quagmire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Quote:
Officials at the taxpayer-funded school defended the exercise, calling it a dating lesson.
They got that right.

This is simple Darwinism. The girls who won't give the boys sex will not find a mate and the girls who will give up their bodies to the boys sexual desire will get mates.

/sarcasm
__________________
Crimes against US History:
CV-6 USS Enterprise
Yankee Stadium
Penn Station-New York
quagmire is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2014, 03:16 PM   #3
jkcerda
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
They got that right. Now only girls who will put out easily will get dates.

This is simple Darwinism. The girls who won't give the boys sex will not find a mate, the girls who will give up their bodies to the boys sexual desire will get mates.

/sarcasm
this is probably the one class where all the guys paid attention principal & teacher need to find different jobs
jkcerda is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2014, 03:34 PM   #4
bradl
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcerda View Post
principal & teacher need to find different jobs
If the superintendent had any balls (pun intended) he/she will take care of that.

If I didn't know how much stress it was, I would think about a career change into teaching; however, given the level of stupidity we're seeing, Air Traffic Control is less stressful.

In some cases, I wish my mother wouldn't have retired from high school principal; she could definitely teach all of her students and teachers right from wrong.. But on the flip side, it's more stressful now than it was then, and she retired 5 years ago, plus would leave less time to babysit the grandkids!

BL.
bradl is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2014, 03:47 PM   #5
Southern Dad
macrumors 6502a
 
Southern Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Peach State
Nothing will happen to these teachers. As a matter of fact the parents will be demonized for even suggesting the teacher did anything wrong. This school district is a union shop. The San Marcos Educator's Association (SMEA) will make sure nothing happens to these educators. The principal, Brain Randall stands behind this lesson that was found at a community clinic and they have used it for several years now.
Southern Dad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2014, 03:58 PM   #6
Technarchy
macrumors 68040
 
Technarchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
And 100 new Home schooled kids were born this day.
Technarchy is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2014, 04:05 PM   #7
bradl
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Dad View Post
Nothing will happen to these teachers. As a matter of fact the parents will be demonized for even suggesting the teacher did anything wrong. This school district is a union shop. The San Marcos Educator's Association (SMEA) will make sure nothing happens to these educators. The principal, Brain Randall stands behind this lesson that was found at a community clinic and they have used it for several years now.
If this happened in the Omaha Public School district, there definitely would have been some disciplinary action of some sort given to the teacher and/or the principal (if the principal was privy to the lesson and condoned it). Only under certain circumstances would a child's sexual life be disclosed to anyone, and that would be counselor/nurse, etc., and with parental notification at that. In short, this should never have become the topic of conversation, let alone a lesson for an entire class to participate in. There are other ways to go about teaching the teacher's point: poor execution in this case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post
And 100 new Home schooled kids were born this day.
You may very well be right.

BL.
bradl is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2014, 06:00 PM   #8
Southern Dad
macrumors 6502a
 
Southern Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Peach State
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradl View Post
If this happened in the Omaha Public School district, there definitely would have been some disciplinary action of some sort given to the teacher and/or the principal (if the principal was privy to the lesson and condoned it). Only under certain circumstances would a child's sexual life be disclosed to anyone, and that would be counselor/nurse, etc., and with parental notification at that. In short, this should never have become the topic of conversation, let alone a lesson for an entire class to participate in. There are other ways to go about teaching the teacher's point: poor execution in this case.



You may very well be right.

BL.
If this happened in Walton County School District, there'd be some unemployed school employees. Of course, we don't have to deal with teacher's unions down here.
Southern Dad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2014, 06:05 PM   #9
bradl
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Dad View Post
If this happened in Walton County School District, there'd be some unemployed school employees. Of course, we don't have to deal with teacher's unions down here.
Unions don't have anything to do with the problem or disciplinary action. Disciplinary action can be dealt with, union or no. Resolving the problem is the issue here. Right now, nothing can be done for the kids involved, as they may have to deal with the stigma and gossip coming out of this for a long time. Preventing this from happening again is going to take getting the PTA, PTSA, and school district involved.

Reassignment and/or dock in pay would be at the least: firing at the most, and unions won't be able to protect them.

There was a firing of a school teacher in my school district for something far worse; unions were there as well, and that did not prevent the teacher from getting sacked. Unions have nothing at all to do with it, so you can leave that issue at the door.

BL.
bradl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2014, 10:13 PM   #10
The Doctor11
macrumors 68020
 
The Doctor11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: USA
Wtf? Dating lesson? Is that what were going with? This has no education value at all.
The Doctor11 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2014, 10:23 PM   #11
samiwas
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Officials at the taxpayer-funded school defended the exercise, calling it a dating lesson.
I'm going to put $100 on the assumption that this article was written by some right-wing type. Can't write an article without writing about "taxpayers".
__________________
A lack of planning on your part should not constitute an emergency on mine.
samiwas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 10:00 AM   #12
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas View Post
I'm going to put $100 on the assumption that this article was written by some right-wing type. Can't write an article without writing about "taxpayers".
Good catch. I was wondering which way this one would go. If the school was controlled by right-wing types, they would be defending it as a normal step in guiding the kids towards normal (heterosexual) dating/marriage.
jnpy!$4g3cwk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 10:14 AM   #13
sim667
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
What they really needed was a sign with "Wolfbagging" or "frogging" on it.

English kids would have had such a joke in that lesson, american kids just get outraged...
__________________
Mac Pro, Macbook Pro, G4 Powerbook, iPad 4, iPhone 5, 2X TV, Nikon D800, ACSP Trained - Photography and Mac tech
Music and UK festival Blog
sim667 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 10:29 AM   #14
Mousse
macrumors 65816
 
Mousse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The Mended Drum, Ankh-Morpork
Quote:
Originally Posted by sim667 View Post
What they really needed was a sign with "Wolfbagging" or "frogging" on it.

English kids would have had such a joke in that lesson, american kids just get outraged...
Bollocks. American kids wouldn't understand British slang so they'd misinterpret those words.
__________________
D'oh! (_8(|)
Mousse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 10:31 AM   #15
jkcerda
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas View Post
I'm going to put $100 on the assumption that this article was written by some right-wing type. Can't write an article without writing about "taxpayers".

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnpy!$4g3cwk View Post
Good catch. I was wondering which way this one would go. If the school was controlled by right-wing types, they would be defending it as a normal step in guiding the kids towards normal (heterosexual) dating/marriage.
here is another link http://www.10news.com/news/parents-s...-uncomfortable

how do you feel about the schools actions?
jkcerda is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 10:45 AM   #16
TheHateMachine
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Houston, TX
I like this bit, wonder how truthful it is...

Quote:
The school's principal told 10News "The parents sign permission slips for the class and can look at the curriculum prior. The purpose of the lesson was to open the lines of communication between parents and students about dating expectations."
__________________
I own stuff that is cool and fits my needs.
TheHateMachine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 10:46 AM   #17
jkcerda
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHateMachine View Post
I like this bit, wonder how truthful it is...
it is fair to point out that many parents do not bother looking at lessons. we as parents have as much fault here in that regard.
jkcerda is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 11:40 PM   #18
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcerda View Post
how do you feel about the schools actions?
I'd be in the school superintendent's office the next day demanding that the teacher be fired.

(It was the "taxpayer" political signal that I was commenting on, by the way.)
jnpy!$4g3cwk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2014, 06:21 AM   #19
Southern Dad
macrumors 6502a
 
Southern Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Peach State
Union... These teachers aren't going any where. Neither is the principal
Southern Dad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2014, 06:22 AM   #20
rdowns
macrumors Penryn
 
rdowns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Dad View Post
Union... These teachers aren't going any where. Neither is the principal

Maybe not.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1743679
__________________
If your religion is worth killing for, please start with yourself.
rdowns is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2014, 10:37 AM   #21
sim667
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousse View Post
Bollocks. American kids wouldn't understand British slang so they'd misinterpret those words.
Im pretty sure both frogging and wolfbagging are american terms.

I could be wrong.
__________________
Mac Pro, Macbook Pro, G4 Powerbook, iPad 4, iPhone 5, 2X TV, Nikon D800, ACSP Trained - Photography and Mac tech
Music and UK festival Blog
sim667 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2014, 05:04 PM   #22
noodlemanc
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Australasia
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas View Post
I'm going to put $100 on the assumption that this article was written by some right-wing type. Can't write an article without writing about "taxpayers".
I don't understand what's unreasonable about mentioning the fact that this B.S was paid for with taxpayer's money? Because if it was a 100% private school this wouldn't really matter, as if the school tried to pull stuff like this the parents would just stop paying the fees and the teachers would be out of the job. In the public sector however, workers rarely have to face the consequences of their actions.
noodlemanc is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2014, 05:25 PM   #23
skunk
macrumors Demi-God
 
skunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Republic of Ukistan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousse View Post
Bollocks. American kids wouldn't understand British slang so they'd misinterpret those words.
Well I haven't the faintest idea what either of these things mean, and I'm English. I have a feeling I don't want to know, actually.
__________________
"The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted the spoons." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
skunk is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2014, 05:38 PM   #24
Renzatic
macrumors 604
 
Renzatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Who puts the washers in the woods?
Quote:
Originally Posted by skunk View Post
Well I haven't the faintest idea what either of these things mean, and I'm English. I have a feeling I don't want to know, actually.
I've heard of frogging before. It's when you punch someone in the arm with the knuckle on your middle finger extended slightly away from the rest of your fist.

But wolfbanging? Nup. No idea.
Renzatic is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2014, 05:39 PM   #25
samiwas
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlemanc View Post
I don't understand what's unreasonable about mentioning the fact that this B.S was paid for with taxpayer's money? Because if it was a 100% private school this wouldn't really matter, as if the school tried to pull stuff like this the parents would just stop paying the fees and the teachers would be out of the job. In the public sector however, workers rarely have to face the consequences of their actions.
Just an observation. It's rare to read a right-wing article without seeing something about taxpayer this, taxpayer that.
__________________
A lack of planning on your part should not constitute an emergency on mine.
samiwas is offline   1 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lesson from parents on saving money...iPhone related dontwalkhand iPhone 18 Jan 10, 2013 12:45 PM
Engineering Lesson for Why the iPhone 5 is Poorly Designed and Bends SomeDudeAsking Wasteland 50 Dec 1, 2012 08:02 PM
Lesson #3295 on how to piss off your customers. b0fh Community Discussion 10 Nov 16, 2012 12:52 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:31 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC