Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Jun 9, 2014, 03:09 PM   #1
jkcerda
macrumors regular

‘Dating Lesson’

Quote:
Asks Eighth-Grade Girls To Publicly Declare How Far They Will Go Sexually

At least one pair of parents is fuming after their eighth-grade daughter came home from school saying that every student in her class had to indicate – publicly – how far they are prepared to go sexually.

Some of the labeled signs were innocuous, according to KGTV. These included “smiled at,” “hugged” and “kissed.”

Other signs, such as “above the waist,” “below the waist” and “all the way,” were to varying degrees considerably less innocuous.

“To put them up in front of their friends to be humiliated or to be asked questions that I believe are personal, it’s really none of the school’s business,” one of the peeved parents told the ABC station.

The parent added that her daughter felt confused and peer-pressured afterward.

Officials at the taxpayer-funded school defended the exercise, calling it a dating lesson.
http://news.yahoo.com/dating-lesson-...172004304.html

the level of stupidity among some so called "educators" is amazing.
jkcerda is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2014, 03:14 PM   #2
quagmire
macrumors 603

Quote:
Officials at the taxpayer-funded school defended the exercise, calling it a dating lesson.
They got that right.

This is simple Darwinism. The girls who won't give the boys sex will not find a mate and the girls who will give up their bodies to the boys sexual desire will get mates.

/sarcasm
Penn Station-New York
quagmire is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2014, 03:16 PM   #3
jkcerda
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
They got that right. Now only girls who will put out easily will get dates.

This is simple Darwinism. The girls who won't give the boys sex will not find a mate, the girls who will give up their bodies to the boys sexual desire will get mates.

/sarcasm
this is probably the one class where all the guys paid attention principal & teacher need to find different jobs
jkcerda is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2014, 03:34 PM   #4
bradl
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcerda View Post
principal & teacher need to find different jobs
If the superintendent had any balls (pun intended) he/she will take care of that.

If I didn't know how much stress it was, I would think about a career change into teaching; however, given the level of stupidity we're seeing, Air Traffic Control is less stressful.

In some cases, I wish my mother wouldn't have retired from high school principal; she could definitely teach all of her students and teachers right from wrong.. But on the flip side, it's more stressful now than it was then, and she retired 5 years ago, plus would leave less time to babysit the grandkids!

BL.
bradl is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2014, 03:47 PM   #5
Southern Dad
macrumors 6502a

Nothing will happen to these teachers. As a matter of fact the parents will be demonized for even suggesting the teacher did anything wrong. This school district is a union shop. The San Marcos Educator's Association (SMEA) will make sure nothing happens to these educators. The principal, Brain Randall stands behind this lesson that was found at a community clinic and they have used it for several years now.
Southern Dad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2014, 03:58 PM   #6
Technarchy
macrumors 68040

And 100 new Home schooled kids were born this day.
Technarchy is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2014, 04:05 PM   #7
bradl
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Dad View Post
Nothing will happen to these teachers. As a matter of fact the parents will be demonized for even suggesting the teacher did anything wrong. This school district is a union shop. The San Marcos Educator's Association (SMEA) will make sure nothing happens to these educators. The principal, Brain Randall stands behind this lesson that was found at a community clinic and they have used it for several years now.
If this happened in the Omaha Public School district, there definitely would have been some disciplinary action of some sort given to the teacher and/or the principal (if the principal was privy to the lesson and condoned it). Only under certain circumstances would a child's sexual life be disclosed to anyone, and that would be counselor/nurse, etc., and with parental notification at that. In short, this should never have become the topic of conversation, let alone a lesson for an entire class to participate in. There are other ways to go about teaching the teacher's point: poor execution in this case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post
And 100 new Home schooled kids were born this day.
You may very well be right.

BL.
bradl is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2014, 06:00 PM   #8
Southern Dad
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradl View Post
If this happened in the Omaha Public School district, there definitely would have been some disciplinary action of some sort given to the teacher and/or the principal (if the principal was privy to the lesson and condoned it). Only under certain circumstances would a child's sexual life be disclosed to anyone, and that would be counselor/nurse, etc., and with parental notification at that. In short, this should never have become the topic of conversation, let alone a lesson for an entire class to participate in. There are other ways to go about teaching the teacher's point: poor execution in this case.

You may very well be right.

BL.
If this happened in Walton County School District, there'd be some unemployed school employees. Of course, we don't have to deal with teacher's unions down here.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 06:05 PM   #9
bradl
macrumors 68020

Quote:
If this happened in Walton County School District, there'd be some unemployed school employees. Of course, we don't have to deal with teacher's unions down here.
Unions don't have anything to do with the problem or disciplinary action. Disciplinary action can be dealt with, union or no. Resolving the problem is the issue here. Right now, nothing can be done for the kids involved, as they may have to deal with the stigma and gossip coming out of this for a long time. Preventing this from happening again is going to take getting the PTA, PTSA, and school district involved.

Reassignment and/or dock in pay would be at the least: firing at the most, and unions won't be able to protect them.

There was a firing of a school teacher in my school district for something far worse; unions were there as well, and that did not prevent the teacher from getting sacked. Unions have nothing at all to do with it, so you can leave that issue at the door.

BL.
bradl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2014, 10:13 PM   #10
The Doctor11
macrumors 68020

Wtf? Dating lesson? Is that what were going with? This has no education value at all.
The Doctor11 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2014, 10:23 PM   #11
samiwas
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I'm going to put $100 on the assumption that this article was written by some right-wing type. Can't write an article without writing about "taxpayers".
Old Jun 10, 2014, 10:00 AM   #12
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas View Post
I'm going to put $100 on the assumption that this article was written by some right-wing type. Can't write an article without writing about "taxpayers".
Good catch. I was wondering which way this one would go. If the school was controlled by right-wing types, they would be defending it as a normal step in guiding the kids towards normal (heterosexual) dating/marriage.
jnpy!$4g3cwk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 10:14 AM   #13
sim667
macrumors 6502a

What they really needed was a sign with "Wolfbagging" or "frogging" on it.

English kids would have had such a joke in that lesson, american kids just get outraged...
Old Jun 10, 2014, 10:29 AM   #14
Mousse
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by sim667 View Post
What they really needed was a sign with "Wolfbagging" or "frogging" on it.

English kids would have had such a joke in that lesson, american kids just get outraged...
Bollocks. American kids wouldn't understand British slang so they'd misinterpret those words.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 10:31 AM   #15
jkcerda
macrumors regular

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnpy!$4g3cwk View Post
Good catch. I was wondering which way this one would go. If the school was controlled by right-wing types, they would be defending it as a normal step in guiding the kids towards normal (heterosexual) dating/marriage.
here is another link http://www.10news.com/news/parents-s...-uncomfortable

how do you feel about the schools actions?
jkcerda is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 10:45 AM   #16
TheHateMachine
macrumors 6502a

I like this bit, wonder how truthful it is...

Quote:
The school's principal told 10News "The parents sign permission slips for the class and can look at the curriculum prior. The purpose of the lesson was to open the lines of communication between parents and students about dating expectations."
Old Jun 10, 2014, 10:46 AM   #17
jkcerda
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHateMachine View Post
I like this bit, wonder how truthful it is...
it is fair to point out that many parents do not bother looking at lessons. we as parents have as much fault here in that regard.
jkcerda is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 11:40 PM   #18
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcerda View Post
how do you feel about the schools actions?
I'd be in the school superintendent's office the next day demanding that the teacher be fired.

(It was the "taxpayer" political signal that I was commenting on, by the way.)
jnpy!$4g3cwk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2014, 06:21 AM   #19
Southern Dad
macrumors 6502a

Union... These teachers aren't going any where. Neither is the principal
Old Jun 11, 2014, 06:22 AM   #20
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Union... These teachers aren't going any where. Neither is the principal

Maybe not.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1743679
Old Jun 12, 2014, 10:37 AM   #21
sim667
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousse View Post
Bollocks. American kids wouldn't understand British slang so they'd misinterpret those words.
Im pretty sure both frogging and wolfbagging are american terms.

I could be wrong.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 05:04 PM   #22
noodlemanc
macrumors regular

Quote:
I don't understand what's unreasonable about mentioning the fact that this B.S was paid for with taxpayer's money? Because if it was a 100% private school this wouldn't really matter, as if the school tried to pull stuff like this the parents would just stop paying the fees and the teachers would be out of the job. In the public sector however, workers rarely have to face the consequences of their actions.
noodlemanc is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2014, 05:25 PM   #23
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousse View Post
Well I haven't the faintest idea what either of these things mean, and I'm English. I have a feeling I don't want to know, actually.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 05:38 PM   #24
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunk View Post
Well I haven't the faintest idea what either of these things mean, and I'm English. I have a feeling I don't want to know, actually.
I've heard of frogging before. It's when you punch someone in the arm with the knuckle on your middle finger extended slightly away from the rest of your fist.

But wolfbanging? Nup. No idea.
Renzatic is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2014, 05:39 PM   #25
samiwas
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlemanc View Post
I don't understand what's unreasonable about mentioning the fact that this B.S was paid for with taxpayer's money? Because if it was a 100% private school this wouldn't really matter, as if the school tried to pull stuff like this the parents would just stop paying the fees and the teachers would be out of the job. In the public sector however, workers rarely have to face the consequences of their actions.
Just an observation. It's rare to read a right-wing article without seeing something about taxpayer this, taxpayer that.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues