Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 10, 2014, 04:16 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Apple Removing Music Downloading Apps from App Store, Asking Developers to Change Apps




Apple appears to be removing many of the popular music downloading apps from the iOS App Store, including those that allowed users to obtain files from third-party file sharing sites. The move is likely in an attempt to push the iTunes Store and iTunes Radio, as well as to clean up the App Store ahead of an overhaul in iOS 8.

A search for the term "music download" in the App Store displays a message inviting users to try out iTunes Radio, while glancing through the first few results shows apps for streaming services such as Spotify and other music-based apps that lack downloading capabilities.

Previously, the same search would show results for a number of apps that could download music and audio files from websites such as Soundcloud and YouTube, with many appearing on the App Store's "Top Charts" section. Some developers have also noted that Apple has asked them to remove audio downloading functionalities from their app, perhaps to prevent potential piracy.

A previous search for "download" apps in the App Store. (Image credit: evolver.fm)
The crackdown on music downloading apps may very well be related a revamp that Apple will launch alongside iOS 8. Among those changes to the App Store include an improved search algorithm, an "Explore" feature to improve discoverability, app bundles, and TestFlight beta testing for developers. A report yesterday also highlighted Apple's crackdown on apps that incentivize ad watching and social sharing.

Thanks, Branden!

Article Link: Apple Removing Music Downloading Apps from App Store, Asking Developers to Change Apps
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 04:20 AM   #2
Berti10
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
If Apple would first release iTunes Radio outside US and Australia; that would be great.
Berti10 is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 04:21 AM   #3
MenaceF1
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Agreed. iTunes radio means nothing to people in the UK as it's not available here. It seems a little strange for Apple to remove other music streaming apps if their own isn't available as an alternative.
MenaceF1 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 04:24 AM   #4
wikiverse
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berti10 View Post
If Apple would first release iTunes Radio outside US and Australia; that would be great.
It's not that good. Spotify and pandora are better. You're really not missing anything.

Also, I can use iTunes Radio in the UK when I travel. The content isn't tied to a location so I'm not sure why apple doesn't release it.
wikiverse is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 04:27 AM   #5
MenaceF1
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
It's all about licensing. Either the UK or EU won't allow Apple to stream music in that region. It's done based on country of residence rather than physical location. In the same way that you sometimes get content in the US iTunes store that you cannot get in the UK iTunes stores. So even if I'm in the Untied States, I can still only access content in the UK iTunes store.
MenaceF1 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 04:34 AM   #6
nagromme
macrumors G4
 
nagromme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Maybe this is an anti-piracy move in part as a display to content owners, for the sake of deals being worked on by Iovine and Dre?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MenaceF1 View Post
Agreed. iTunes radio means nothing to people in the UK as it's not available here. It seems a little strange for Apple to remove other music streaming apps if their own isn't available as an alternative.
They're leaving streaming apps; they're removing downloader apps, apparently.
nagromme is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 04:41 AM   #7
Nermal
Moderator
 
Nermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Whakatane, New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berti10 View Post
If Apple would first release iTunes Radio outside US and Australia; that would be great.
No kidding. It's bizarre that it's not available in NZ since streaming rights are shared with Australia. Competitors like Pandora and Spotify launched in both countries simultaneously so I don't know what the hold up is for Apple.
Nermal is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 05:14 AM   #8
Reason077
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post
They're leaving streaming apps; they're removing downloader apps, apparently.
Spotify isn't only streaming. It lets you download, too, if you have the 9.99/mo "Spotify Premium".
Reason077 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 05:56 AM   #9
Menel
macrumors 601
 
Menel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atlanta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reason077 View Post
Spotify isn't only streaming. It lets you download, too, if you have the 9.99/mo "Spotify Premium".
irrelevant. This thread does not apply to Spotify.

As detailed in the summary, apps that let you download from third parties. Spotify and Beats do not count. You are downloading from them. First party downloading,

Piracy apps, that are clearly piracy apps. Probably part of some concession with music industry,

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel View Post
irrelevant. This thread does not apply to Spotify.

As detailed in the summary, apps that let you download from third parties. Spotify and Beats do not count. You are downloading from them. First party downloading,

Piracy apps, that are clearly piracy apps. Probably part of some concession with music industry,
Ooops that was a different site's summary that clarified third party downloading. Maybe SlashDot. Just an example of poor journalism and reporting here.
__________________
iPhone 5 \ iPad Air \ Mac mini i5/Radeon
Menel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 06:43 AM   #10
Plutonius
macrumors 601
 
Plutonius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by wikiverse View Post
It's not that good. Spotify and pandora are better. You're really not missing anything.

Also, I can use iTunes Radio in the UK when I travel. The content isn't tied to a location so I'm not sure why apple doesn't release it.
I guess everyone has their own opinion. I find iTunes Radio much better than Pandora.
Plutonius is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 06:51 AM   #11
Yvan256
macrumors 601
 
Yvan256's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berti10 View Post
If Apple would first release iTunes Radio outside US and Australia; that would be great.


Sorry, couldn't resist.

Last edited by Yvan256; Jun 10, 2014 at 07:00 AM.
Yvan256 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 07:03 AM   #12
Rufuss Sewell
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Austin, TX
This is the front line of the war on downloads. It's just like Apple removing CD drives to force the transition to downloaded mp3s.

iTunes mp3s are out. The new format is streaming Beats.
Rufuss Sewell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 07:04 AM   #13
Reason077
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel View Post
As detailed in the summary, apps that let you download from third parties. Spotify and Beats do not count. You are downloading from them. First party downloading,

Piracy apps, that are clearly piracy apps. Probably part of some concession with music industry
Well, that's fine if they're targeting piracy apps. They shouldn't have been on the app store in the first place.

But the article summary actually makes it sound they are targeting legitimate apps that compete with iTunes:

"The move is likely in an attempt to push the iTunes Store and iTunes Radio"
Reason077 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 07:09 AM   #14
PBG4 Dude
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
I created 3 iTunes Radio stations for bands that I like. For example, I created a Grateful Dead radio station. I heard The Allman Bros., Doobie Bros., Grand Funk Railroad, etc. Kept waiting for them to play some Grateful Dead, but no joy.

After trying the same thing with Iron Maiden, and hearing everything but Maiden, I gave up. Maybe if I set up a Judas Priest radio station and listened to that, I would hear some Maiden.
PBG4 Dude is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 07:13 AM   #15
Cuban Missles
macrumors 6502a
 
Cuban Missles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: East Coast, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufuss Sewell View Post
This is the front line of the war on downloads. It's just like Apple removing CD drives to force the transition to downloaded mp3s.

iTunes mp3s are out. The new format is streaming Beats.
The deal has not even been approved by the government agency. I doubt that if your theory were true, that apple would do it now -- they would wait until the deal was sealed. My guess is that they are clamping down on policy versus trying to move traffic to an apple or beats app. If I am wrong, the justice department should immediately investigate and get more stewards to sit in an apple office and charge $5k a day to do nothing but annoy.
__________________
I have a collection of Apple stickers from all my Apple product purchases - they are white (the stickers not the products)
Cuban Missles is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 07:23 AM   #16
Menel
macrumors 601
 
Menel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atlanta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reason077 View Post
Well, that's fine if they're targeting piracy apps. They shouldn't have been on the app store in the first place.

But the article summary actually makes it sound they are targeting legitimate apps that compete with iTunes:

"The move is likely in an attempt to push the iTunes Store and iTunes Radio"
Of course, it's the big bad Apple. The most sinister explanation is the most likely.

Not the most logical, that meshes with what is actually happening.

Weird how anti-Apple MacRumors can be.
__________________
iPhone 5 \ iPad Air \ Mac mini i5/Radeon
Menel is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 07:35 AM   #17
JosephAW
macrumors member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Some of us use the downloading apps to download other things besides music.

Since I live in a remote area with no cable or DSL I have to download all my osx updates via my mobile download app. I just downloaded the itunes 11.2.2 dmg update the other day. I wait until I get to work and then connect to the wifi there. Other times I download a large video like the ESO Cast and watch it later at home on my desktop.

I have to have these features on my iphone else I'll be forced to move to an android phone.
JosephAW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 07:41 AM   #18
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603
 
Jessica Lares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Love all the cool little apps I've found going through the music section. Glad they've made this move as it'll be much easier to shift through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephAW View Post
Some of us use the downloading apps to download other things besides music.

Since I live in a remote area with no cable or DSL I have to download all my osx updates via my mobile download app. I just downloaded the itunes 11.2.2 dmg update the other day. I wait until I get to work and then connect to the wifi there. Other times I download a large video like the ESO Cast and watch it later at home on my desktop.

I have to have these features on my iphone else I'll be forced to move to an android phone.
Why not use a podcast app instead for your podcasts? I just looked up ESO Cast and it showed up on Castro (bad example because it only plays audio, but other apps will play them fine). Both in HD and SD.
__________________
Have You Hugged Your Mac Today?
Daily Expressions | iMac G4 | Late 2011 13" MacBook Pro | iPod Nano (7G) | iPad Mini | iPod Touch (5G) | iPhone 5S

Last edited by Jessica Lares; Jun 10, 2014 at 07:48 AM.
Jessica Lares is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 07:43 AM   #19
itpromike
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel View Post
Of course, it's the big bad Apple. The most sinister explanation is the most likely.

Not the most logical, that meshes with what is actually happening.

Weird how anti-Apple MacRumors can be.
Yeah because we know Apple has never rejected Apps because those apps treaded on it's toes in a space that they operate in or even plan to operate in, in the future... :roll eyes: I guess some people don't remember the days of 'Your app has been denied because it duplicates functionality of app already provided by Apple'.
itpromike is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 08:02 AM   #20
kronusdark
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Southern Indiana
As far as I can tell, this is only targeting apps that word their descriptions to music piracy and/or download directly from YouTube/Vevo/Soundcloud (which is a gray area anyways)

Legitimate music sources like Google Music, Spotify, SoundCloud and the like are still in there. and HTTP downloading apps are still there too.

But I have seen many apps that are obviously designed to fit in the "piracy gray area" and the AppStore is no place for those sort of apps.

as for more generic downloader apps, i see no shortage of those currently.
kronusdark is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 08:09 AM   #21
The Phazer
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: London, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by kronusdark View Post
As far as I can tell, this is only targeting apps that word their descriptions to music piracy and/or download directly from YouTube/Vevo/Soundcloud (which is a gray area anyways)
It's really more of that black kinda grey.
The Phazer is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 08:12 AM   #22
mabhatter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reason077 View Post
Well, that's fine if they're targeting piracy apps. They shouldn't have been on the app store in the first place.

But the article summary actually makes it sound they are targeting legitimate apps that compete with iTunes:

"The move is likely in an attempt to push the iTunes Store and iTunes Radio"
There are no "legitimate" apps that allow iOS song DOWNLOADING other than iTunes. Apple has never expressly allowed it... That's why Amazon/emusic/etc stores cannot download directly into iPhones libraries. These were apps that "cut corners".
mabhatter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 08:28 AM   #23
iolinux333
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephAW View Post
Some of us use the downloading apps to download other things besides music.

Since I live in a remote area with no cable or DSL I have to download all my osx updates via my mobile download app. I just downloaded the itunes 11.2.2 dmg update the other day. I wait until I get to work and then connect to the wifi there. Other times I download a large video like the ESO Cast and watch it later at home on my desktop.

I have to have these features on my iphone else I'll be forced to move to an android phone.
Yes I also use that first app shown, "free music downloader" to download files from the web that I could not otherwise get onto my iphone without a computer. I can then pass it to other apps and work on the file. So now what apple, I'm supposed to have zero ability to get a file off the web ? I'm so sick of this. That app was pulled several weeks ago BTW, I noticed it when I was trying to restore my phone as new.
iolinux333 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 08:47 AM   #24
Yvan256
macrumors 601
 
Yvan256's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufuss Sewell View Post
This is the front line of the war on downloads. It's just like Apple removing CD drives to force the transition to downloaded mp3s.

iTunes mp3s are out. The new format is streaming Beats.
Apple removing CD/DVD drives has almost nothing to do with selling music. The primary use for an optical drive in a computer was to install software but we've switched to downloads years ago. Removing the optical drive allows Apple to put more hardware and/or put in bigger batteries and/or make their computers smaller, thinner, lighter and cheaper.

Removing built-in CD ripping is just a bonus. And even if you need to do so, Apple hasn't disabled external optical drives and still sells an external drive of their own.
Yvan256 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 08:54 AM   #25
Reason077
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by mabhatter View Post
There are no "legitimate" apps that allow iOS song DOWNLOADING other than iTunes. Apple has never expressly allowed it... That's why Amazon/emusic/etc stores cannot download directly into iPhones libraries. These were apps that "cut corners".
Spotify allows downloading. Not downloading into your iTunes library, of course, but downloading into the Spotify app for offline playback.
Reason077 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:45 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC