Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
With the kinect-less Xbox One starting at $399 who will be persuaded to buy an Xbox One over a Ps4? Being that pricing is equal for now.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
The Xbox One deal with Kinect and Titanfall for $450 was much better. Would hold out if I was in the market for one. I bought 3 Xbox Ones but sold/returned them all without opening lol. PS4 has better games on the horizon.

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
The Xbox One deal with Kinect and Titanfall for $450 was much better. Would hold out if I was in the market for one. I bought 3 Xbox Ones but sold/returned them all without opening lol. PS4 has better games on the horizon.

In our house we felt the Xbox had better games. Of course the Wii is really the game machine for kids.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Great lineup of exclusives coming to the XB1 after yesterday so I will be grabbing one here soon.

Trying to sell my Vita on ebay before trading it in towards one.

Zero interest in Kinect and will save the $100.

I already have a PS4 so I get the best of both worlds.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
The pricing doesn't add up.

£350 isn't really a good deal when you can pick up the Titanfall bundle for about the same price.

I'm content with my PS4 for the time being, I'm considering buying an Xbox One (with Kinect) when Halo comes out.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
I decided not to pay the extra $50 for a download (Titanfall) and Kinect and a year of Xbox Live Gold and bought a PS4 (MS was holding their ground with Kinect being an integral part of the next gen at the time). Was on sale only for a short time.

Plus, the only game I'm interested in, Titanfall, REQUIRES Xbox Live Gold (not just an internet connection). Plus, at the time, a Gold account was required for Netflix, Hulu, etc. (but has since changed).

The $399 core unit still has no games I want yet.

PS4 I can play FREE games without a PSN Plus subscription (I've got a few already) plus I got Knack and Killzone for $35 on sale at the time (now you can get them for $30). I also got Skylanders Swapforce on sale for $33.

PS4 is a better value.

I want to get a system when Halo 5 is out on special - maybe a special version of the console? Hopefully, Halo 5 will not require a Gold account as well.

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
craigslist a xbox 1 with a a game and kinect is 350 or less. Without kinect is 300 :)

Just have to find the right person. A ps3 is around 300 used with or without a game. You can find insane deals my gf got me one with 3 games, 1 year of PSN and 2 controllers for $350. She is very convincing I guess.

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
Does the Xbox One have a music visualizer like the Xbox 360 had?

167063526_e5d47f3ca3.jpg

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
Heads up all games are 30 or less for xbox one at the official Microsoft store(obviously not brand new games like watch dogs but basically everything else is)

I went in to buy a 60 buck MS smartphone to use for travel and saw they were that cheap

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
I am waiting for the "best price" to jump on the XB1 as a complement to my PS4.

I dont neeeeeeed it right now but want it for all the future exclusives. I need to sell my Vita for more cash towards it and I dont see myself getting a Kinect version.

Waiting for another bundle deal hopefully like the $450 Titanfall bundle back in the day.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
It really doesn't.

I haven't found myself ever with the need for the remote play and when I did it was hit or miss sometimes with lag and connection.

Besides that I haven't turned it on in a month or 2 and not getting the use I thought I would so it's on eBay for $115

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
I havent found one that I couldnt play but yes there are some I believe that do not play on the Vita from the PS4.

Also with the button configuration of a PS4 controller it is a weird transition sometimes over to the Vita with those second trigger buttons missing and having to use the touch pad on the back.

Miharu

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Finland
If only the two consoles were comparable technically I'd have a much harder choice... You can call me whatever you want but I refuse to buy a PS4 game unless it's 1080p resolution (barring some exceptions like indie games), I mean this is already the second HD generation and still we're not getting even our TVs worth of pixels. I have played countless games on PS3/360 and especially FPS games suffer from low, sometimes even sub-720p resolution. Enemies that are too far become un-targetable mush unless you have a scope. Fighting games and such where the character models are close enough play fine.

I can forgive the Wii U of course.

vigilant

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Nashville, TN
I had a PS4 since launch. It was great, but there was a problem.

While I'm not a hardcore gamer, I do like to play with my friends. I literally know one person who has a PS4, and everyone else has an Xbox One. I sold my PS4 and got and got a couple Xbox One's (was an easy sell considering Fry's was taking I think 25% off for about a week).

My conclusion? The Xbox One is a far more well rounded gaming machine. The graphic fidelity isn't as high though. But matchmaking, and the games and party system are just superior.

The Kinect is basically worthless. Literally useless. I have one in my home office, and one in my living room and both basically require you to say commands several times. The TV interface is janky to say the least.

The Kinect adds virtually no value at all, and at $100 more then the PS4 before the uncoupling was announced, and without retail stores trying to just get rid of the Kinect-bundles I wouldn't have done what I did.

The Kinect-less Xbox One bundle is a superior gaming platform then the PS4. Yes the PS4 is more powerful. But at least in my experience you'll be playing mostly alone. Xbox Live is an excellent platform for gaming. PSN is very good, and has a lot of incentives through free games, but it really isn't much better then old school PC multiplayer gaming.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
The Kinect-less Xbox One bundle is a superior gaming platform then the PS4. Yes the PS4 is more powerful. But at least in my experience you'll be playing mostly alone. Xbox Live is an excellent platform for gaming. PSN is very good, and has a lot of incentives through free games, but it really isn't much better then old school PC multiplayer gaming.
Every time I hear this I always have to ask: what are the differences?
I've got a 360, PS3, PS4, Vita, Wii U, etc. I find the PS4 online to be identical to what Microsoft offers (party, invites, friend notifications, voice and video messaging, voice talk in the OS and not the game, etc).

I haven't found it difficult playing with people on PSN :confused: maybe there's something wrong with your network?

vigilant

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Nashville, TN
Every time I hear this I always have to ask: what are the differences?

I've got a 360, PS3, PS4, Vita, Wii U, etc. I find the PS4 online to be identical to what Microsoft offers (party, invites, friend notifications, voice and video messaging, voice talk in the OS and not the game, etc).

I haven't found it difficult playing with people on PSN :confused: maybe there's something wrong with your network?

My network is actually fine. The party system is more difficult to hop through. For example, if I want to leave a party, I have to go to the PS4 dashboard, go to the party app make the change then quickly get back into the game.

The differences are small, and hard to tangibly define, other then it seems like many things take more steps to complete. The actual performance of each thing is find. It just seems more loosely integrated.

Hopefully it didn't come off as a dig on Sony. I was sad that at least in my circle of friends I didn't have anyone to really play with.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
The differences are small, and hard to tangibly define, other then it seems like many things take more steps to complete. The actual performance of each thing is find. It just seems more loosely integrated.

Hopefully it didn't come off as a dig on Sony. I was sad that at least in my circle of friends I didn't have anyone to really play with.
But you said:
PSN is very good, and has a lot of incentives through free games, but it really isn't much better then old school PC multiplayer gaming.

Small, hard to tangibly define reasons are what makes the Xbox superior and PS4 is like old school PC gaming?

As I say I play my PS3 and 4 online a lot: Street Fighter, GTAV, Killzone. I've never had a problem. The experience was no more better or worse, more empty or full or laggy than playing Halo 4 online :confused:.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
When I hear people make the argument of Xbox Live is better than PSN, all I do is scratch my head...its basically the same. I've never had a problem with XBL or PSN to conclude that one has a superior online multiplayer. I often don't experience lag on both platforms and when I link up with my friends its basically the same on both consoles..:confused:

The one thing(s) I absolutely hate about the Xbox One is the Metro style OS and the controller bumpers are mushy. I honestly wish I waited to buy the XBO because I don't really turn the thing on anymore(just like my 360) hopefully sunset overdrive will be great...hopefully.

Bless

Praxis91

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2011
I bought my XB1 with kinect, but I got it for $399 off ebay. I don't use kinect other than the voice commands. It's nice if you can get it with the system for ~$400. Otherwise, if you're in no rush, then buy without.

Some games let you use the kinect as your microphone...nice when I have my console set up in my bedroom...not all games though.. BF4 lets you talk into the kinect, whereas Titanfall does not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.