Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wiredup72

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
Anyone think that if a new Mini comes out, that it will have a completely new case design like the nMP? A short version of the nMP and available in black?
Would be cool IMO.
:D

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Nah, I think it could get knocked over or not be as efficient with my desk space

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
I sincerely hope not.

I'd like to see Apple invest their time, minds and money on what's inside the Mini, rather than on the packaging.

Any redesign of the case will most likely be focussed on stopping us from getting into the Mini, and if that happens I for one will purchase the best 2012 Mini I can afford rather than move up to the new model.

Going down the 'Mini Pro' route would be even worse: I'm sure the case would be more expensive to produce than a tweaked version of the classic Mini box, and I don't think that professional users will be pleased at the prospect of trying to maintain current rackmount densities when faced with shiny metal haemorrhoid cushions.

Last edited:

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens

Attachments

• timecapsule.jpg
    timecapsule.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 94

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
Like the Airport Time Capsule? ;)
I don't understand those, either. Are the Time Capsules or Extremes 'space saving' when compared to previous models? I don't own one, but they look far more 'in your face' to me. I've got two 5th Gen AAEs and they're both absolutely invisible, being velcroed to walls behind curtains. :)

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
they look far more 'in your face' to me.

I have one, and I didn't purchase it for the looks. It works very well and the 802.11ac wifi is really nice if you have a computer (like my MBA) that supports it. I can access a network drive at about the same speed as a directly connected USB2 hard drive. Setup and management is also really easy with Apple's software.

It sits on an upper shelf with a bunch of other junk, so the aesthetics are not really an issue. But I am concerned that it could topple over if somebody accidentally trips on or tugs one of the ethernet cables (although I have secured them). I think the form factor would be pretty bad if you have it sitting on a desktop where it could easily be knocked over though.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
Oh no I love the mac mini design! A cylinder would be a bit strange for people who like to shove their minis in little spaces on their desk, or even place things on top of it. Wont get that with the cylinder without covering the vents. I hope they keep the current shape, but maybe make small modifications to distinguish the new one from previous models.

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
I think it looks great, and the footprint is smaller than the current Mini, so would save a bit of space. The PSU in the base should make it stable.
Looks are subjective, obviously, but I don't particularly like the nMP aesthetic. You're right that the weight (and weight distribution) of a 'nMm' would make it more stable than the current AAE/ATC.

A cylinder would be a bit strange for people who like to shove their minis in little spaces on their desk, or even place things on top of it. Wont get that with the cylinder without covering the vents. I hope they keep the current shape, but maybe make small modifications to distinguish the new one from previous models.
Exactly. My Mini sits on top of a CD/DVD unit and beneath a speaker. On top of the speaker is a pile of 'stuff' that continues to grow until my HDD starts to make funny noises. I value stackability far more highly than I value shaving a few square inches off the footprint.

Re distinguishing modifications, if Apple really want to they can make the logo on the top white or silver rather than black. Sorted!

cactus jumper

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2014
I sincerely hope not.

I'd like to see Apple invest their time, minds and money on what's inside the Mini, rather than on the packaging.

Any redesign of the case will most likely be focussed on stopping up from getting into the Mini, and if that happens I for one will purchase the best 2012 Mini I can afford rather than move up to the new model.

Going down the 'Mini Pro' route would be even worse: I'm sure the case would be more expensive to produce than a tweaked version of the classic Mini box, and I don't think that professional users will be pleased at the prospect of trying to maintain current rackmount densities when faced with shiny metal haemorrhoid cushions.

Totally agree with the above.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
mojo wrote above:
[[ I'd like to see Apple invest their time, minds and money on what's inside the Mini, rather than on the packaging... ]]

C'mon, it's Apple.

"Packaging" is 60% (or more) of their product...

wiredup72

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
Considering how a lot of mini's get racked for servers, I wouldn't think they would change the case a lot. But since we haven't seen any leaks and there is a real possibility that it could be built in the US, it makes me wonder.
Tooling changes are a big deal in manufacturing.

Cool pics above. I didn't see those in the big thread.

Cancelled
Nov 9, 2012
Anyone think that if a new Mini comes out, that it will have a completely new case design like the nMP? A short version of the nMP and available in black?
Would be cool IMO.

I present you the mac mini 'aspirin' edition!

120529051050-aspirin-closeup-story-top.jpg

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
I think the Mini design is nice. It could get smaller if the next model comes with PCIe storage and soldered ram, though. It's like the Retina Macbook line... the aluminium design is mostly the same, but they're thinner and lighter than cMBPs.

I would prefer if Apple didn't change anything on the Mini externally, though. It would be nice to have a newer Mini equipped with upgradeable RAM and PCIe storage compatible with the late-2013 retina macs.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
I'd bet on a tall orientation design to fit in the new "beam forming" WIFI aerials - which was the reason for the Time Capsule / Airport Extreme redesign. The mini is the only Mac that doesn't have that height.

wiredup72

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
I like it. Took roughly 40 minutes to complete.

No clue how the thermal core would operate.

That's the kind of size I was thinking about. And I would buy it.
But the square format appears it would have more racking capability, bot a simple stand to old it vertical should not be that hard.

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
I'm not sure the Mac Mini really needs to be like the Mac Pro; the Mac Pro is a pro product, so Apple won't want the Mac Mini to look the same anyway. But more importantly, the Mac Mini only has a single processor to cool, unlike the Mac Pro which has three very powerful ones, so the Mac Mini doesn't need anywhere near the same kind of cooling.

That said, I could see the Mac Mini becoming rounder or even circular, but probably keeping the top closed with a blower style fan. Hopefully a bigger fan so it can run quieter under load; assuming the Mac Mini doesn't get shorter it should actually have a decent amount of room, as I expect we'll lose the second drive bay in favour of PCIe storage options. Soldered RAM seems possible, though of course I'm hoping not but if they decide to prioritise cool/silent running then it may happen if it means freeing up space.

The alternative is that we may even see the fan disappear entirely, in favour of the case itself becoming a full-blown heatsink, which could work out well if Apple waits for Broadwell chips and they run as efficiently as Intel is promising.

I'm just hoping Apple doesn't reduce the width/depth of the Mac Mini too much, as I'd like it to remain VESA mountable. I also much prefer the flatter look to the IMO very ugly tall airport extreme.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.