Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macdon401

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2005
Hi, when I sometimes wake my iMac from sleep it takes a few times for the screen to come on! It will kinda turn off and I have to press the power button on the back, it then starts the sleep light flashing and then after about 3 to 4 trys at touching the mouse or keyboard it will start up!!
Can I check this out with the Hadware Test disk...or what is causing this??
iMac G5 OSX 10.4.4 20 inch, 768 Ram
Thank you
R

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Mine shows the same behaviour sometimes too but I don't do anything to make it wake up, it's just that it's a bit slow. I use a bluetooth keyboard or mouse to wake it though, and that may have something to do with it.

Just out of interest, do you really have to press the power button? If you just leave it, will it wake up anyway?

macdon401

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2005
mad jew said:
Mine shows the same behaviour sometimes too but I don't do anything to make it wake up, it's just that it's a bit slow. I use a bluetooth keyboard or mouse to wake it though, and that may have something to do with it.

Just out of interest, do you really have to press the power button? If you just leave it, will it wake up anyway?

Hi MJ...yes...cause the pulsing sleep light goes off and nothing happens if I press the mouse or keyboard!
Thanks for taking the time again to help me out, I guess most of the members in this forum were way too busy figuring out what's on Steve's desk or doing the Photoshop test...to help someone out...gotta run, I think there's a new thread about horizontal lines on PB's!!!!!
R

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Ha, fair enough. :D

Well, maybe try resetting the SMU. This link is only applicable for the Rev B and Rev C iMacs though.

If you have an original iMac G5 then this link has a step involving resetting its SMU however it involves taking the thing apart and may actually do more harm than good if something gets damaged in the meantime. If this is your Mac (and I think it is based on your User Profile) then look carefully at the process involved before undertaking it. I haven't taken apart an iMac yet but feel free to ask questions and we'll try to tear our eyes away from the lines on our PowerBooks for a second to help you out. Good luck. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.