Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jun 10, 2014, 07:18 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Granted Patent for Weightlifting Tracker That Utilizes Watch-Like Device

Apple has been awarded a patent by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (via AppleInsider) that details a weightlifting tracker that could pair with a watch-like device to provide live progress-tracking to users, offering a potential scenario where Apple's highly-rumored iWatch could be used.

The patent details how a transmitter could attach itself to a weightlifting bar to count repetitions in real time. The transmitter itself is described as having a number of components, including an accelerometer, processor, Hall effect sensor, and display. While some scenarios describe the sensor as showing live information all by itself, a few note that the small beacons could transfer data to devices such as a watch or phone.

A sensor (500) shown on-top of a body bar
Quote:
In one embodiment, display 512 is part of a watch (or a MP3 player or a cell phone) that may be seen when worn or used by the user when performing exercises; and measurements determined by processor are transmitted to the watch (or to the MP3 player or cell phone) for display.
In a situation where data is transferred to a watch, the patent notes that the watch's housing could include a processor to store data and inform the user of repetitions for workouts over time. This would allow the device to breakdown a user's workout with the use of multiple sensors, even giving information about the body bar or other equipment used.

Whether Apple integrates the technology described in the patent into a specific product remains to be seen. However, recent reports surrounding the iWatch have described the device as having a multitude of biometric sensors to track a number of health-related metrics, including activity levels.

Furthermore, it is likely that the iWatch will integrate with iOS 8's recently introduced Health app, which provides an easy to read dashboard of health and fitness data that can be pulled from different sources. Apple also debuted a new TV ad called "Strength" last week that focused on fitness accessories and apps.

Apple's iWatch is expected to launch later this year, with a recent report stating that the company is aiming for an October unveiling and release date.

Article Link: Apple Granted Patent for Weightlifting Tracker That Utilizes Watch-Like Device
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 07:27 AM   #2
Blakjack
macrumors 65816

Thats what Im talking about!!! Bring it Apple. May or may not ever see this product come to shelves, but as a serious weightroom junkie, this shows me that Apple GETS true health tracking.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 07:31 AM   #3
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Do you even lift?

Sounds cool, but I personally prefer excercises that don't rely on me going to a gym or buying equipment (although I have a pull up bar that I can attach to a doorway... that's the only thing in my house that's exclusively used for exercise, I think).
Old Jun 10, 2014, 07:32 AM   #4
TWSS37
macrumors 6502a

I think more people who would use this would benefit more from a real time form feedback, not rep counter.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 07:51 AM   #5
Aster007
macrumors newbie

Samsung copy fast!

Come on guys, samsung will be frist!!!
Aster007 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 07:54 AM   #6
BornAgainApple
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aster007 View Post
Come on guys, samsung will be frist!!!
Just like Samsung, you rushed to make a comment and made a mistake in the process.

On topic, seems like Apple has thought of everything fitness-wise. I wonder if they got the idea from Nike.
BornAgainApple is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 07:55 AM   #7
Aster007
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornAgainApple View Post
Just like Samsung, you rushed to make a comment and made a mistake in the process.

On topic, seems like Apple has thought of everything fitness-wise. I wonder if they got the idea from Nike.
Hmm, maybe it was not accident ;-)

(aka, the post from Gruber the other day)
Aster007 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 07:56 AM   #8
x-evil-x
macrumors 65816

usually weight lifters(at least the ones willing to purchase a device to help keep track of things) doesn't need a count helper. Its burnt into my brain the way i do things in the gym i don't see a device helping with that. Now keeping track of heart rate is good for me and some sort of calorie counter but not rep count thats a little ridiculous. Especially for the addicted to weightlifting people like me.
x-evil-x is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 08:00 AM   #9
Blakjack
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
Do you even lift?

Sounds cool, but I personally prefer excercises that don't rely on me going to a gym or buying equipment (although I have a pull up bar that I can attach to a doorway... that's the only thing in my house that's exclusively used for exercise, I think).
I assume you are asking me....Trust me I lift. weightlifting is essential to bone health. Those who just do weight free cardio or those who just lift weights and no cardio are missing the point. The body needs a well rounded fitness routine. Dont just be a bike rider. Dont just be a body builder and dont just be runner.[COLOR="#808080"]

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWSS37 View Post
I think more people who would use this would benefit more from a real time form feedback, not rep counter.

Definitely, but this patent shows that Apple is conscious of weightlifting and its importance to health. They have to start somewhere and this is a good start. The future is now bright.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 08:01 AM   #10
mainstreetmark
macrumors 68020

I demand a rendering!
Old Jun 10, 2014, 08:01 AM   #11
pickaxe
macrumors 6502a

While I'm certainly not in the mood for the next round of patent warfare, this is a great idea that I could absolutely see myself using.

Tracking weight lifting with an app is a huge chore.
pickaxe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 08:05 AM   #12
juanm
macrumors 65816

Send a message via MSN to juanm Send a message via Skype™ to juanm
One day, not so far away, we won't be able to pee without the help of an app telling us the exact the direction of the wind to make sure we're not against the wind.
juanm is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 08:05 AM   #13
TWSS37
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakjack View Post
I assume you are asking me....Trust me I lift. weightlifting is essential to bone health. Those who just do weight free cardio or those who just lift weights and no cardio are missing the point. The body needs a well rounded fitness routine. Dont just be a bike rider. Dont just be a body builder and dont just be runner.[COLOR="#808080"]

----------

Definitely, but this patent shows that Apple is conscious of weightlifting and its importance to health. They have to start somewhere and this is a good start. The future is now bright.
The calculations are key though. Any app (or brain for that matter) can keep track of reps and weight. What the unknown for me usually is, what is the calorie consumption from the weights? What do I need to replenish and grow muscle? Not everyone can live on powders and shakes, etc. so a lot of my lift time is negated because I can't properly calculate calorie expenditure during or after the workout.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 08:05 AM   #14
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Maybe it's not that they are specially interested in weight lifting, but weight lifting is one sport where all these fitness bands don't work properly, because they only see quite little body movement and have no means to figure out that there is hard work involved.
gnasher729 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 08:07 AM   #15
TWSS37
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornAgainApple View Post

IMO, probably not from Nike. Nike caters to the cardio world and their Fuelband does absolutely zero for weight lifters.

To my knowledge, no one has 'cracked the code' for proper app/device feedback and calculation for lifting weights.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 08:08 AM   #16
Cuban Missles
macrumors 6502a

Of all the potential goodness that Apple is rumored to be working on this is the one that I least care about. I still have not seen these types of devices actually help anything. For me at least, I exercise the natural way - I go outside and walk or play with friends. The body toning and cardio is collateral of my engaging with people and nature. Once inside, I prefer an ipad or an imac or an iphone to doodle about. Just my thought. I understand that for some they would actually get motivated by something like this. For them, I hope it turns out great.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 08:17 AM   #17
fullauto
macrumors 6502a

Fantastic stuff, make it affordable for multiple bars and/or easily detachable to minimize downtime in changing excercises / bars. Possibly magnetic?
fullauto is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 08:19 AM   #18
Robstevo
macrumors member

So do you people think they will actually make this device ? Or is it just another patent that can be capitalised on when someone ACTUALLY invents the hard ware and not just an idea ?

Just asking lol the amount of patents you hear companies are granted but they never use them just seems a tad bit ridiculous to me.
Robstevo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 08:20 AM   #19
Keniutek
macrumors regular

Quote:
Thats what Im talking about!!! Bring it Apple. May or may not ever see this product come to shelves, but as a serious weightroom junkie, this shows me that Apple GETS true health tracking.
A true weight junkie does NOT care about gadgets like this. Chalk and a barbell is all we need :P
Keniutek is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 08:21 AM   #20
TraceyS/FL
macrumors 68040

Oh I could use the rep count part. I admit, I loose track while doing a set. And, since my brain is on overload most of the time. Being able to easily know which machine I did them on would be great - hello ibeavon....
TraceyS/FL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 08:21 AM   #21
Tankmaze
macrumors 65816

I'm all for wearable health tracker, bring it on soon Apple !!
Old Jun 10, 2014, 08:33 AM   #22
CoreyTheGent
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keniutek View Post
A true weight junkie does NOT care about gadgets like this. Chalk and a barbell is all we need :P
You're thinking too one dimensionally. Look at the bigger picture. We won't buy an iWatch to count reps, that's just one of the many functions it can perform. In combination with other features, you may find yourself using new iWatch weightlifting apps that take your workouts to a new level.

Maybe it will be good for lifting newbies. Maybe there will be apps that use the gyroscope to teach proper form for exercises. Maybe it will spur millions of people who aren't serious lifters to just incorporate more resistance training into their workout.

Last edited by CoreyTheGent; Jun 10, 2014 at 08:39 AM.
CoreyTheGent is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 08:33 AM   #23
cdmoore74
macrumors 68000

How about a built in IR blaster so that I can lift a cupcake into my fat ugly mouth while turning on the TV to watch Jerry Springer. I do not want to leave my couch because I'm one lazy SOB. And no; I don't want another iAccesory to do this.
More Americans do this vs. weightlifting.
cdmoore74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 08:34 AM   #24
GenesisST
macrumors 65816

Tim Cook: I present the... iDouche
Old Jun 10, 2014, 08:40 AM   #25
cdmoore74
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankmaze View Post
I'm all for wearable health tracker, bring it on soon Apple !!
I personally don't find the Inspector Gadget look sexy. By the time Apple is finished we're going to have gadgets for each limb, head and buttocks. And I do mean each head.
cdmoore74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion