Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
As long as you do not have to jump on and off a pillar at the end game as in Doom 2 it should be a blast :)

End of Doom 1 I do not recall, Doom 3 I never played.

Last edited:

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
I just hope they've fixed the texture pop-in issues that the idtech 4 engine uses. (Wolfenstein has the problem, as did Rage).

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I just hope they've fixed the texture pop-in issues that the idtech 5 engine uses. (Wolfenstein has the problem, as did Rage).
FTFY. ;)

I experienced that problem with RAGE (until it was patched) but I can't say I've seen it at all in Wolfenstein New Order with max settings. :confused:

Unless this is the console versions you're talking about. I have no idea about them.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
As long as you do not have to jump on and off a pillar at the end game as in Doom 2 it should be a blast :)

A very different, but also very good, experience.

I was amazed at how good the shooter part in that game was. Quite repetitive late game, but I had a blast anyway.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand

I was terrible at that pillar jumping, although I replayed D2 a couple of years ago and found that I'm much better at it now :)

End of D1 was the Spider Mastermind.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012

I always thought that Cyberdemon dude harder but they did design great monsters all around! Spider Mastermind..wtf!?! I was twelve years old back then and jeeez, the second level was almost unplayable for me because of shtting my pants that much! :D

Wolfenstein and Doom (hopefully it'll be awesome and feature online) and MortalKombat will be the reasons to get a PS4 for me in a couple of months..

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
I was terrible at that pillar jumping, although I replayed D2 a couple of years ago and found that I'm much better at it now :)

Spider Mastermind, yes I looked it up and I do not recall getting that far :(

Is it worth giving Doom 3 a whirl ?

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
Spider Mastermind, yes I looked it up and I do not recall getting that far :(

It certainly is giving 3 a try, it's essentially a prequel to them all as to how it all started. Good game, although I never finished it. Too much of a scaredy cat. :(

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 24, 2009
UK

Definitely. The BFG Edition (comes with Doom 1, Doom 2, Doom 3, all their expansions and some new levels) is only £20 on Steam at the mo.

----------

I always thought that Cyberdemon dude harder
You're right, the Cyberdemon is the hardest to kill in the game. But the Spider Mastermind is a much quicker shooter and can kill you within seconds.

SingularityG

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012

Absolutely! When it was released, I sealed myself in a room, shut all windows and played Doom 3 straight for two days in almost complete darkness.

Very rewarding.

Haven't played the BFG Edition.

Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil sucked.

Also, if you haven't played Quake IV, it's good too, but not as much as Doom 3, imo.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
FTFY. ;)

I experienced that problem with RAGE (until it was patched) but I can't say I've seen it at all in Wolfenstein New Order with max settings. :confused:

Unless this is the console versions you're talking about. I have no idea about them.

Thanks for the engine version # correction. I wonder what version Doom 4 will use? The teaser trailer, if it is using the engine, looks leaps and bounds beyond what we see in Rage and Wolfenstein.

Red Cube

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2013
Iowa
Absolutely! When it was released, I sealed myself in a room, shut all windows and played Doom 3 straight for two days in almost complete darkness.

Very rewarding.

Haven't played the BFG Edition.

Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil sucked.

Also, if you haven't played Quake IV, it's good too, but not as much as Doom 3, imo.
I've heard BFG Edition was terrible, which is why I bought vanilla Doom 3 (along with ROE, which you say sucks, though I haven't played it yet.)

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I've heard BFG Edition was terrible

The BFG edition is just a remastering (as well as sort of a Doom boxset since it includes all the previous ones and their expansions). Other than slightly improved textures, animations and lighting, the only real difference between it and the original release of Doom 3 is the flashlight behavior. In Doom 3 the flashlight is a weapon and cannot be used at the same time as weapons. In the BFG edition, the flashlight is attached to your suit but can only be switched on for a limited amount of time.

Unless the change in flashlight behavior really ruins it for you, there is nothing different about the BFG edition.

----------

Thanks for the engine version # correction. I wonder what version Doom 4 will use? The teaser trailer, if it is using the engine, looks leaps and bounds beyond what we see in Rage and Wolfenstein.

Well according to Carmack before he left id, Doom 4 will look 3x better than RAGE. However, he did say this some time ago now so your guess is probably as good as mine.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
The BFG edition is just a remastering (as well as sort of a Doom boxset since it includes all the previous ones and their expansions). Other than slightly improved textures, animations and lighting, the only real difference between it and the original release of Doom 3 is the flashlight behavior. In Doom 3 the flashlight is a weapon and cannot be used at the same time as weapons. In the BFG edition, the flashlight is attached to your suit but can only be switched on for a limited amount of time.

Unless the change in flashlight behavior really ruins it for you, there is nothing different about the BFG edition.

One thing for me they've done that would make me buy BFG Edition is they went from 4:3 AR to 16:9, so that now the game fills my iMac screen.

Or it would, if it were available for OSX.

Last edited:

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
<Vader>I find your lack of faith disturbing.</Vader>

Here are the options, and a couple of pics to prove that you can see more on the sides.

Attachments

• options.png
    options.png
    71.7 KB · Views: 235
  • 4-3.png
    4-3.png
    716.2 KB · Views: 252
  • 16-9.png
    16-9.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 282

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Started to play some Doom lately and got totally carried away by nostalgia and Pinky demons that I remembered about the Doom3 demo I've played back in the days with a friend and just bought it straigth away on Steam.

Unfortunately they offer only the BFG version, which includes UltimateDoom and Doom2 - albeit censored. Wanted the original one due being cheaper and offering a ton of awesome mods. ****** is still almost too scary for me but I'm having a blast!

Anyone knows if I can still play it without Steam by buying the orginal game discs?

AV_doom_guy.gif

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Well, if you actually manage to find the original game disks, sure: there are various ports of the original Doom engine running on modern operating systems, for instance the Doomsday engine or Chocolate Doom. You only have to provide the WADs.

Thanks but should hve been clearer I guess: was talking about Doom3 in that instance. I played the first two more than enough back in the day on my 386 so the ones coming with the BFG edition are sufficent. I think the only censorship appeared in the Wolfenstein level within Doom2 anyway. That's what I read at least. Bit of a bummer but no deal breaker.

Doom3 BFG on the other hand I can get the orginial DVDs quite cheap and was just wondering if I can install/play it without Steam (which could mean they'd be useless, but not sure any way!).

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Doom3 BFG on the other hand I can get the orginial DVDs quite cheap and was just wondering if I can install/play it without Steam (which could mean they'd be useless, but not sure any way!).
Ah, okay. As far as I know, the Doom 3 BFG is tied to Steam no matter what, similar to RAGE (at least the Windows version). So, even if you have the disc version, it has to be activated and played on Steam.

On the other hand, there is an open source port of the BFG, but that also requires you to own and install the Steam version of the game.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Ah, okay. As far as I know, the Doom 3 BFG is tied to Steam no matter what, similar to RAGE (at least the Windows version). So, even if you have the disc version, it has to be activated and played on Steam.

Hehe, still think we misunderstand each other. I was talking about the orginal Doom3 (not BFG) release which is still available for purchase on discs. I do own the BFG one (play it via Steam) but would like to know if the orginal version would be playable when buying the discs (since it isn't available at Steam anymore). Hope that's somehow clear now. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.