Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jun 10, 2014, 05:20 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

'Ringly' Smart Ring Relays iPhone Notifications Over Bluetooth

Ringly, a new iPhone-connected smart ring designed for women, uses Bluetooth LE to connect to a phone, lighting up and buzzing to alert users of calls, messages, emails, and other app notifications.

Billed as the first connected ring, Ringly aims to allow users to continue to receive notifications even while a phone is put away in a bag or otherwise unavailable. The ring, which lasts for up to three days on a single charge, connects to an accompanying iPhone app to deliver notifications.

Quote:
Ringly creates jewelry and accessories that connect to your phone and notify you about the things that matter most. Put your phone away and enjoy the moment.
Ringly is designed to light up or vibrate when a notification is received, and it is entirely customizable by the end user. It features four vibration patterns and five colors that can be assigned to different notifications. Incoming Twitter notifications might buzz in a certain way, for example, while a phone call might light up. The ring is also able to sync with reminders, letting users know when a meeting or appointment is coming up.

Ringly is available in three sizes (6,7, and 8) with four different designs that feature precious and semi-precious stones in 18K matte gold settings. Three of the rings can be pre-ordered for $145, while a fourth ring sells for $180. The rings will retail for considerably more, starting at $195. The first 1,000 rings sold are also advertised as having a real diamond in the side.

Article Link: 'Ringly' Smart Ring Relays iPhone Notifications Over Bluetooth
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 05:24 PM   #2
Amadeo
macrumors member

Jesus, this thing is fugly.
Amadeo is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 05:25 PM   #3
CrAkD
macrumors 68030

Lol women don't care about stuff like this. This thing is dead in the water
CrAkD is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 05:26 PM   #4
mad3inch1na
macrumors 6502a

145$ for a Bluetooth buzzer with lights? Right...
mad3inch1na is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 05:30 PM   #5
Radio
In Time-Out

Ha this is ridiculous

What's next?

An iWatch?
Radio is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 05:48 PM   #6
LunaticSX
macrumors newbie

Operators are standing by!

Bonus feature if you install their iOS app is that Ringly will function as a mood ring!

Not only that, but the app will include a color chart to tell you what mood you're feeling based on the current color of the ring.

Act now and they'll throw in a FREE set of ginsu steak knives!
LunaticSX is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 05:52 PM   #7
brucerb
macrumors newbie

A mood ring for her iPhone!

Are you kidding?! This is a great idea. This would solve the problem of the wife never answering calls or texts ("it was in my bag"). It would also solve the "you never buy me jewelry" problem if, alas, it didn't look like it came out of a box of crackerjacks.
(I'm probably showing my age by mentioning mood rings and rings in crackerjacks)
brucerb is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 05:57 PM   #8
Yixian
macrumors 65816

More designs and it's a winner, not sure the gf would really like this style but if they release one more her style you can bet your ass Id force her to wear one, she never has her phone on her lol.
Yixian is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 06:05 PM   #9
ehmyerson
macrumors newbie

Ring

What a new and different idea...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...cut-everything

Last edited by ehmyerson; Jun 10, 2014 at 11:27 PM.
ehmyerson is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 06:18 PM   #10
furi0usbee
macrumors 6502a

Then, when you forget where you put your Ringly, they will have Pendantly, so you can find your Ringly, and then answer your phone. Dumbly.

How about just pick up your phone?
Old Jun 10, 2014, 07:04 PM   #11
Arndroid
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yixian View Post
More designs and it's a winner, not sure the gf would really like this style but if they release one more her style you can bet your ass Id force her to wear one, she never has her phone on her lol.
Yeah people saying women would not use this are wrong. It is actually an excellent idea. They will have to expand the line to more designs though, because how it looks will be important to the target market.

The idea is a solid one though.
Arndroid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 07:20 PM   #12
carjakester
macrumors 68020

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=61a0qHFcQE4
Old Jun 10, 2014, 07:48 PM   #13
Z8beema
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post

Ringly, a new iPhone-connected smart ring designed for women, uses Bluetooth LE to connect to a phone, lighting up and buzzing to alert users of calls, messages, emails, and other app notifications.

Billed as the first connected ring, Ringly aims to allow users to continue to receive notifications even while a phone is put away in a bag or otherwise unavailable. The ring, which lasts for up to three days on a single charge, connects to an accompanying iPhone app to deliver notifications.

Ringly is designed to light up or vibrate when a notification is received, and it is entirely customizable by the end user. It features four vibration patterns and five colors that can be assigned to different notifications. Incoming Twitter notifications might buzz in a certain way, for example, while a phone call might light up. The ring is also able to sync with reminders, letting users know when a meeting or appointment is coming up.

YouTube: video
Ringly is available in three sizes (6,7, and 8) with four different designs that feature precious and semi-precious stones in 18K matte gold settings. Three of the rings can be pre-ordered for $145, while a fourth ring sells for $180. The rings will retail for considerably more, starting at $195. The first 1,000 rings sold are also advertised as having a real diamond in the side.

Article Link: 'Ringly' Smart Ring Relays iPhone Notifications Over Bluetooth
At the risk of being a hypocrite, I love my smart watch, but this thing is ridiculously stupid
Old Jun 10, 2014, 09:23 PM   #14
zencowboy
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehmyerson View Post
That one is actually interesting!
zencowboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2014, 09:33 PM   #15
xraydoc
macrumors Demi-God

My wife's phone is always on silent, buried at the bottom of her purse. Or in another room of the house, on silent and hidden by...something.

I'm going to buy her one of these and make her wear it 24/7.

I don't know if she'll like it, but I'd love it, lol.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 09:54 PM   #16
rmatthewware
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerb View Post
Are you kidding?! This is a great idea. This would solve the problem of the wife never answering calls or texts ("it was in my bag"). It would also solve the "you never buy me jewelry" problem if, alas, it didn't look like it came out of a box of crackerjacks.
(I'm probably showing my age by mentioning mood rings and rings in crackerjacks)
When my wife doesn't answer the phone, I ping her via Find my iPhone. That way the sound plays even if it's on silent.

----------

My phone vibrates for free, thanks.
rmatthewware is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2014, 01:57 AM   #17
iolinux333
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by zencowboy View Post
That one is actually interesting!
VERY interesting! Google or Microsoft would be wise to pick up that company. It could be a consolation prize of useful and possibly game changing innovative tech since they missed out on buying crappy overpriced headphones, a rapper and a smooth talker.
iolinux333 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2014, 06:39 AM   #18
Ivan0310
macrumors member

Yikes, does it come in 'not Grandma'?
Old Jun 11, 2014, 06:45 AM   #19
RightMACatU
macrumors 6502a

Ahhhh man! Do this mean that it's no longer cool to have a bluetooth earpiece?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad3inch1na View Post
145$ for a Bluetooth buzzer with lights? Right...
Let's put this one with in the same box as the $25 iPhone6 3D mold
RightMACatU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2014, 07:54 AM   #20
Boatboy24
macrumors 6502

Ah, perfect. Now my wife can be notified via her jewelry that there is something on her phone she needs to ignore.
Boatboy24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2014, 08:16 AM   #21
jclardy
macrumors 68020

I think it is a good idea, but the ring itself looks like something that kids get out of a quarter machine...

Also I was expecting it to be like a mood ring and change the color of the crystal rather than a side LED.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 05:10 PM   #22
selfsilent
macrumors member

Inform me when there is a "cock ringly".
selfsilent is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion