Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
This evening my MacBook Air was stolen. It was towards the end of my work day (5:50PM approximately) and I went to the washroom with my wallet, phone and keys but left my MBA on my desk. I got a call, so after I finished I had to leave as my significant other had to be picked up from work (her car had a flat tire). So in the whole emergency situation of things I rush to get her and we go home after figuring out our car situation. I decide to relax and pull up netflix but realize that I don't see my laptop. I thought I left it in the car so I check there. Can't find it. I start freaking out and when I log onto Find My Mac (FMM) it shows a location which is 15 minutes from work. So I realize it's been picked up. Luckily it was locked. Pissed off, I jet out the door and run to the location. I track it again when I'm in that location that it's detected and I look around and realize all it has is some fast food joints and coffee shops, no residential areas. So I thought I would be smart and go into all the places that advertize free Wifi. Tried McD, tried Tim's and a few private shops... Nothing. It sucks. I had a different case on so I could identify it right away. Reported it to cops that basically suggested 'you're SOL'. So yeah... It kinda sucks.

I don't know what to do anymore. I'm thinking of getting a MBPr, but I guess in this situation I'm screwed. I'm not wiping it because I want it to track again (atm, it's offline).

bully worm

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2009
Sad story bro.

I actually dreamt my mba got stolen just last night from work as well... weird.

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
Where is your desk located? Do you think a colleague might have stole it or a customer/client of some sort? Ask around to see if someone saw anyone hovering around your desk.

mad3inch1na

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
And this happened in Canada? I have now lost all faith in the human race..

All jokes aside, that sucks and I hope you get your computer back. Maybe a coworker saw that you had left it and took it home just incase.

Matt

Starshadow

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2012
Really sucks,

Hopefully it comes back online so you can track it down and Dirty Harry who ever took it.

If it was from your work its likely a customer or a colleague but then again I'm not sure what your work situation is..

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
Where is your desk located? Do you think a colleague might have stole it or a customer/client of some sort? Ask around to see if someone saw anyone hovering around your desk.

The office is in a clinical setting. We have cameras outside the office to see who enters and exits. Looking through the camera we saw that 2 people left after me but ofcourse they're not silly enough to walk out with it. It just shows them leaving the building with their day-to-day knapsacks. So who know if it's in there. They both left at separate times. Maybe an hour apart. Could be person one or person two. I have no proof. Best bet is to ask them in a passive way.

And this happened in Canada? I have now lost all faith in the human race..

All jokes aside, that sucks and I hope you get your computer back. Maybe a coworker saw that you had left it and took it home just incase.

Matt

This morning I got a notification saying "A sound was played on DJ'z MacBook Air" but it's odd because no location was given. Just got an email notification saying that. I track it quickly and no go. It's offline. Ugh! I know they're trying to get into it but they probably aren't able to without my pass code.

jsd79

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2013
If I'm not mistaken, you can lock or even securely erase your computer's hard drive remotely using iCloud and "Find My Mac." Even if the computer is offline, you can issue the command and it will execute next time the computer comes online.

This article is over a year old, but I imagine the functionality is still similar (someone more knowledgable can correct me if I'm wrong): http://www.macworld.com/article/2034795/how-to-track-a-lost-computer-with-find-my-mac.html

Hope this helps!

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
This evening my MacBook Air was stolen. It was towards the end of my work day (5:50PM approximately) and I went to the washroom with my wallet, phone and keys but left my MBA on my desk. I got a call, so after I finished I had to leave as my significant other had to be picked up from work (her car had a flat tire). So in the whole emergency situation of things I rush to get her and we go home after figuring out our car situation. I decide to relax and pull up netflix but realize that I don't see my laptop. I thought I left it in the car so I check there. Can't find it. I start freaking out and when I log onto Find My Mac (FMM) it shows a location which is 15 minutes from work. So I realize it's been picked up. Luckily it was locked. Pissed off, I jet out the door and run to the location. I track it again when I'm in that location that it's detected and I look around and realize all it has is some fast food joints and coffee shops, no residential areas. So I thought I would be smart and go into all the places that advertize free Wifi. Tried McD, tried Tim's and a few private shops... Nothing. It sucks. I had a different case on so I could identify it right away. Reported it to cops that basically suggested 'you're SOL'. So yeah... It kinda sucks.

I don't know what to do anymore. I'm thinking of getting a MBPr, but I guess in this situation I'm screwed. I'm not wiping it because I want it to track again (atm, it's offline).

It is a shame that the level of police work in today's society where small thievery (under $5,000) is treated as a petty matter to them. That being said, you did the right thing by using Find My Mac. When you track that bugger to a residential address, make sure you call the police to assist you in re-stealing what is yours. I am pretty sure the law says something about smashing a window of someone's house to recover a stolen Mac.

I think the saddest part of this all is that someone from your own job stole it whether it is the CEO or the janitor. I hope you get your Mac back and the dirtbag goes to jail for Grand Theft Mac.

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
If I'm not mistaken, you can lock or even securely erase your computer's hard drive remotely using iCloud and "Find My Mac." Even if the computer is offline, you can issue the command and it will execute next time the computer comes online.

This article is over a year old, but I imagine the functionality is still similar (someone more knowledgable can correct me if I'm wrong): http://www.macworld.com/article/2034795/how-to-track-a-lost-computer-with-find-my-mac.html

Hope this helps!

Thank you. See the thing is it's frustrating. The computer comes online but I don't want to lock or play a sound because I don't think they know that they're being tracked. I think they're just trying to get in. I hope it stays this way until I find it. One can only hope. I guess this FMM is giving me false hope..

It is a shame that the level of police work in today's society where small thievery (under $5,000) is treated as a petty matter to them. That being said, you did the right thing by using Find My Mac. When you track that bugger to a residential address, make sure you call the police to assist you in re-stealing what is yours. I am pretty sure the law says something about smashing a window of someone's house to recover a stolen Mac.

I think the saddest part of this all is that someone from your own job stole it whether it is the CEO or the janitor. I hope you get your Mac back and the dirtbag goes to jail for Grand Theft Mac.

The problem is it doesn't give exact coordinates but just a vicinity. Also, I agree with you. The cop basically didn't give a ****. He was like "Oh it's just a computer". Yes well, "I hope it happens to you or your son/daughter" is what I thought. I know it's a co-worker, just don't know which one. Janitor's don't come in until 10PM - it's a clinic which is inside a hospital, so they come in towards the end of the night.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Thank you. See the thing is it's frustrating. The computer comes online but I don't want to lock or play a sound because I don't think they know that they're being tracked. I think they're just trying to get in. I hope it stays this way until I find it. One can only hope. I guess this FMM is giving me false hope..

The problem is it doesn't give exact coordinates but just a vicinity. Also, I agree with you. The cop basically didn't give a ****. He was like "Oh it's just a computer". Yes well, "I hope it happens to you or your son/daughter" is what I thought. I know it's a co-worker, just don't know which one. Janitor's don't come in until 10PM - it's a clinic which is inside a hospital, so they come in towards the end of the night.

Look for the one that just stares at you repeatedly and is jumpy around you. Then use Find My Mac to track it to his house.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
For all sad people reading this. Please install something like Prey on your computer. No I don't work for them. Read up on it at preyproject.com It freaking free, would have taken you five minutes to install it. AND you would certainly have gotten your MacAir back, plus possibly some good pics of the thief, his friends texts, maybe even some bank account information, uncovered an entire underground fight club.

Good luck and sorry the world is full of *******s. I'm guessing that your work doesn't have cameras everywhere.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland

960design brings up a great point. Ask your IT Department if they can pull the tapes to catch the dirtbag.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
It is a shame that the level of police work in today's society where small thievery (under $5,000) is treated as a petty matter to them.
It's a felony to steal a mac where I live. Heck, it's a felony to steal an iPad or an iPhone for that matter.
(c) It is grand theft of the third degree and a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 , s. 775.083 , or s. 775.084 , if the property stolen is:
1. Valued at $300 or more, but less than $5,000.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
It's a felony to steal a mac where I live. Heck, it's a felony to steal an iPad or an iPhone for that matter.

I live in Maryland, and it is $1000 makes it a felony I believe. That being said, I fail to understand why people fall back on poor principals and lack of gestures of good will. If I found a Mac randomly in a bathroom, I would boot it up there and see if it was iCloud locked. Then proceed to call the number. Otherwise check the name of the account on the login screen and find that person's location in the workplace. I don't understand why people don't do that.

savetheunstable

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2013
Portland, OR
Is it possible that the manager at your workplace could follow up on this? If the suspects are only 2 people, and you work in a clinic, I would think that your management team would want to talk to them. Seems like a valid security concern for a clinical setting.

Unless perhaps there's another way out of your office which would avoid cameras?

That really sucks, someone you work with would steal from coworkers. You know they will do it again, if they have the chance.

The office is in a clinical setting. We have cameras outside the office to see who enters and exits. Looking through the camera we saw that 2 people left after me...

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
You should chummy up with both those people who you suspect stole it and try to work your way into an unannounced visit to their house :D

legioxi

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013
Just wipe it and make the insurance claim (home owners typically covers this). Then restore your last backup to the new one.

Chances are they wiped the laptop already and it's lost.

Trvlngnrs

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
Perhaps your workplace has insurance against theft?

Homeowners policy may also cover it

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
The manager sent out an email basically saying "a laptop was misplaced recently and is being sought after. Until we try to determine where it is, if anyone may have picked it up "accidentally" or seen it anywhere please contact manager. Reward will be given". He's nice enough to give a reward and its not even coming from me. I think it's a $100 Starbucks card. So maybe that'll tempt someone?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
The manager sent out an email basically saying "a laptop was misplaced recently and is being sought after. Until we try to determine where it is, if anyone may have picked it up "accidentally" or seen it anywhere please contact manager. Reward will be given". He's nice enough to give a reward and its not even coming from me. I think it's a $100 Starbucks card. So maybe that'll tempt someone?

Really hope you get it back in good condition.

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012

Eh probably not the approach I would take. I just see the thief becoming even more cautious as a result since he/she knows people are looking for it.

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
No other location other than what was already given. This is what I got.

But I can still track it randomly so they're still trying to get in but I don't think they keep it on long enough to track the other location.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 150
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.