Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lucyx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2014
For the past 2 weeks I haven't been able to use my Macbook unless the charger is plugged in. Earlier it wouldn't connect to the internet, so I shut it down, then when I restarted it kept getting stuck on the grey startup screen with the spinning wheel. I did a safe reboot and after getting stuck on 'Rebuilding catalog B-tree' for a while, it said 'File system was modified', 'Runtime corruption detected on Macintosh HD, fsck will be forced on next mount'. Tried rebooting again, it said 'error truncating data fork!' and 'error deleting cat rec for id 53887220!'
Please someone tell me I haven't lost all my work and photos.. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you x

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Sounds like you have a failing hard drive. Remove the drive and put it in an external enclosure, then try something like Disk Warrior to try and recover your data. I have read users here had success using Disk Warrior to fix that B tree error you mentioned and recover data. Disk Warrior is not cheap though.

Do not ry to reinstall the OS, as that will only make data recovery more difficult.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.