Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Bad Guy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 2, 2007
Australia
Hey, howzit going?

I'm The Bad Guy and I'm a long time reader of this site (my join date, doesn't match my read date), I don't tend to contribute in the Mac / iOS portions of this site (seriously, have you read that ****? Ridiculous) and I have a question of you…all of you.

What do you shoot with and why?

Last edited by a moderator:

themumu

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2011
Sunnyvale
I own quite a few cameras when you consider everything that I have that has the ability to take a picture. Because I'm a little bit bored, I'll have you all read why I keep all this junk:

1. Nikon D7000 with a 18-200mm VR lens - because there are very few shots it cannot take and its battery lasts forever + a day. I used to have a D80 but it died, and D7000 was fresh off the factory at the time.

2. Fuji X100S - because that thing above is huge and heavy and after a few years I got tired of carrying it. There is no landscape, portrait or close up it cannot take, though forget about wildlife unless it's part of a landscape. I like to keep it around when hiking because it doesn't disbalance me as much as the D7000.

3. The iPhone - because I always have it.

4. A GoPro - because I'm probably underwater or plummeting down a ski hill and I'm not going to risk my other gear in those conditions (nor am I looking forward to dumping $1K+ for a underwater case for the DSLR, or was it $10K+?)

5. Nikonos V with a 35mm lens and an underwater strobe - because I have hopes that when I take it underwater the results are gonna be better than the dinky GoPro. I got it used for less money than a separate strobe would have cost, but for now I'm just figuring out how to use the manual lens correctly.

6. Infrared Nikon D80 - because I'm a geek and infrared is absolutely cool (see proof). Sometimes I put a fisheye lens on it to try and make it even more wacky (there are not a lot of ways to fit the entire Duomo di Milano in the frame while standing right in front of it).

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
The majority of shots I have posted on here in the last year have been from a Hasselblad 500CM.

Why, because I honestly don't have access to anything better and you don't need the latest and greatest to have fun!

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Nikon D800
Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G
Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G
Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G
Apple iPhone 5s

Why? Because the D800 is the best camera for what I shoot (landscapes). My iPhone is always with me regardless.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
... Hasselblad 500CM.
Why, because I honestly don't have access to anything better and you don't need the latest and greatest to have fun!
I dont think you need to justify shooting with one of the greatest cameras ever made. :)

CharlieBrandt09

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2012
Southern NJ
Nikon D5200 here. I am just getting into this hobby. I had a D40 before that, and I got that, because, well...kids. Once I had kids I wanted something faster.

Now that I am becoming a hobbyist, I will be more selective. :)

danielowenuk

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2011
Nikon D3100, it's economy, but it wipes the floor with anything else I have had the privilege of using, so to me it's great.

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
1. Sony NEX C3 - really versatile camera with a lot of flexibility. I've had this since 2011 and hasn't let me down. Great battery life, fast startup time and excellent photo quality. Great for hiking, taking to the beach, and all that outdoor stuff without having to deal with the bulk of a DSLR.

Just recently purchased an NEX 5T but I will still use it with a 35mm or 50mm prime lens.

2. Canon S110 - I take this with me on trips, especially traveling overseas. It's really small and I can easily carry another battery. Takes really great photos and offers quite a bit of control on the photos I take, but I usually have it in Auto mode for the most part. Also if there is a special event, birthday, or moments I want to really capture, I would bring this with me instead of my iPhone or Xperia Z2. Wifi capability is really handy too especially when I want to post something to my Instagram or Facebook right on the spot

3. Sony Xperia Z2 / iPhone 5S - somedays I'm in the mood for Android, some days iPhone. Both have reliable cameras and can outdo each other on depending on the scenarios. Always with me so I have a decent camera no matter where I go.

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
So many Nikon users here, anyway i use a Cannon 1100D its the entry level of entry levels but its good enough for me.

steveash

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
UK
Hasselblad H3DII-39 for commercial, advertising, PR and occasional editorial work plus personal fine art projects. Why? because the quality and look is just stunning, a few of my clients require the resolution and I also make use of the high sync speeds of the leaf shutter lenses.

Canon 5DII for portability, as a back-up camera and for video. Why? because the quality is good and it's tough little workhorse that has and will last for years.

I try to cull any photography gear that I don't use but have held on to a Zenit E which was my first 'proper' camera and inherited from my Grandfather.

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
Canon EOS 500D / Rebel T1i • Sigma 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 • Canon 50mm f/1.8

Got all of the above at under £150, which for a beginner like me is not a lot of money for a fair bit of kit. I did have a 350D but the video feature was something I really wanted to have.

AlexH

macrumors 68020
Mar 7, 2006
Olympus OM-D E-M5 + a range of Olympus and Panasonic primes.
Sony A7 + a few M mount lenses and old Minolta primes I had lying around.
iPhone 5S.
Polaroid Impulse (it was my mom's camera from her childhood. Still works great.)

The A7 has breathed new life into some of my old manual focus glass. It's a powerful little camera. I've been able to test out a few different systems, and believe it or not, my favorite has been my Micro 4/3 setup. It just fits me. I like the balance of size/weight, quality, and enjoyability. I originally picked up a PEN E-P2 for a kick around camera a few years ago, and fell in love with the system.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Fuji X100S - my street photographer, urban exploration, and lately architecture

Fuji X-E2 - my family, travel, landscape, portrait, and architecture camera.

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
D70 converted to IR because, well, IR.

D7000 when I need a third body while shooting meteor showers because I can never have too many cameras pointing at the sky.

D800 (pair) because 60MP panos of the Milky Way are fun.

Toyo-View 45G because large format film is pretty nifty once you get past all the knobs and dials.

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
Sony NEX-3n, perhaps soon to be replaced by a Panasonic GM1 or Sony RX100 III. I don't like carrying around anything that can't fit in a jacket pocket. :)

MichaelAtman

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2014
Newport Beach, CA
I shoot with the 60D. First of, the price point of this has come down quite a bit since the introduction of the 70D. The 60D has a good high ISO performance, great image quality, plenty of MP and full HD video recording (along with external mic plugin that some of the entry level DSLR's do not)

----------

Sounds like an incredible deal! Good buy!

Canon EOS 500D / Rebel T1i • Sigma 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 • Canon 50mm f/1.8

Got all of the above at under £150, which for a beginner like me is not a lot of money for a fair bit of kit. I did have a 350D but the video feature was something I really wanted to have.

nickditoro

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2013
Minneapolis
What do you shoot with?

I have a number of cameras, and the choice of which one at any one time depends on the subject and the occasion:
1. Professional work (weddings, head shots) and to take photos of my grandkids indoors: Canon 5D Mark III - various L lenses and my trusty 85mm 1.8.
2. Nature / walk-around: Fujifilm X-Pro 1 - some excellent XF primes and zooms. Could replace this with the Fujifilm X-T1 but not in a rush.
3. Street and outdoors with grandkids: Fujifilm X100S.
4. For some outdoor work in good lighting and when lag time is not a factor (as it is with kids under 2 years old): Canon S95
5. When I'm in a mood to shoot film: Nikon N8008S.
6. In a pinch: iPhone 5 -- always with me.

js81

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
KY
A circa-2010 Sony a290. Quite entry level, yes, but still good enough for me. Currently have a Sigma 18-50 f2.8-4 and an old Minolta MD mount JCPenney 135mm prime. Had a bit of G.A.S. when I started out, so I've been through a ton of different lenses (all cheap ones, nothing fancy, mostly used from eBay) and picked the Sigma out of the litter. Currently looking for a cheap-but-good zoom (had bought one recently, but its AF broke and I got my money back); considering a "mega-zoom" type lens, as my wife takes most of the pictures and hates having to swap lenses. :)

My "other" camera is my Nexus 4... which sucks. :(

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
D610
50mm 1.8
35mm 2
85mm 1.4
14mm 2.8
70-300mm 4.5 - 5.6

+ various other ones that I dont use anymore.

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
Main camera is an Eos 6D, but if I need something a bit quicker (focus/fps) then my old Eos 1D MkII available. Various lenses from 15mm to 300mm (mix of prime and zoom)

Occasionally I'll dig out the film camera (Fujifilm GA645Zi)

As to why I use these, the Eos cameras are just a logical upgrade from my old Eos film days and the Fuji was something I wanted for a while (back in the film days when I was dabbling with Medium Format).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.