Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

silverf1re

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011
NDA violation, EULA agreement violation, Terms and Services agreement violation. So since that is all out of the way is there a service out there that does not only add your device to their list of UDID's for download the beta iOS but a service that actually sets you up to be able to develop and deploy apps you your personal devices? I would love to get into this Swift programming but im not going to pay apple 100 bucks a year to strengthen their no language. Basically I don't want to make money of my apps. Hell I don't even want them on the app store. I just want my personal iPad to display "hello world" when I open an app I wrote.

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
NDA violation, EULA agreement violation, Terms and Services agreement violation. So since that is all out of the way is there a service out there that does not only add your device to their list of UDID's for download the beta iOS but a service that actually sets you up to be able to develop and deploy apps you your personal devices? I would love to get into this Swift programming but im not going to pay apple 100 bucks a year to strengthen their no language. Basically I don't want to make money of my apps. Hell I don't even want them on the app store. I just want my personal iPad to display "hello world" when I open an app I wrote.

You could just stick to the simulator. If it's for playing around with Swift and not preparing an app to ship as soon as iOS 8 is out I see no need to enroll.

nanoconsensus

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2013
Madrid
You could just stick to the simulator. If it's for playing around with Swift and not preparing an app to ship as soon as iOS 8 is out I see no need to enroll.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I recall reading you still need Xcode 6, thus first enrolling for those $99/year.

No way of playing with Swift inside Xcode 5.1

I'd love to start playing with Swift; unfortunately not before paying :(

silverf1re

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011

That's true. Its just makes seance in my mind that if you want to spark interest in your brand new product the barrier for entry should be low. But I guess if your apple it doesn't matter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
Please correct me if I'm wrong but I recall reading you still need Xcode 6, thus first enrolling for those $99/year.

Ah, you're correct. That sucks =/

silverf1re

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 3, 2011

Ya they need an xcode express like Visual Studio has :)

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Ya they need an xcode express like Visual Studio has :)

The current version of Xcode is free. The beta version of Xcode is free, but you have to be a paying developer, first.

It does seem to me that Apple could allow beta versions of Xcode and the SDKs and everything to be given to free developers too...

but that's Apple's choice, and we just have to live with it. If you need it, you'll pay for it, and if you don't, you'll sit and wait like anyone else.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
If all you want is to see a program you wrote type "Hello world" from your iPad, you should look in the iOS App Store.

I know that techBASIC ($15) is capable of this, and there may be other programming languages that only run from iOS.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/techbasic/id470781862?mt=8

techBASIC is neat because it can also read BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) sensors, which are pretty easy to buy (or make) these days.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
That's true. Its just makes seance in my mind that if you want to spark interest in your brand new product the barrier for entry should be low. But I guess if your apple it doesn't matter.

The barrier to entry is low.
Most hobbies you'll invest more than $99 a year.

Last edited by a moderator:

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
If all you want is to see a program you wrote type "Hello world" from your iPad, you should look in the iOS App Store.

I know that techBASIC ($15) is capable of this, ...

There are other Basic interpreters in the App store that are free apps (plus more apps for other languages, such a Lisp and Lua).

waterskier2007

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2007
Novi, MI
Just wait until September when XCode 6 (and therefore swift) become free for anyone on the Mac App Store. How does Apple benefit from putting out a piece of software 3 months earlier to people who just want to write Hello, World!

Dranix

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
left the forum
Just wait until September when XCode 6 (and therefore swift) become free for anyone on the Mac App Store. How does Apple benefit from putting out a piece of software 3 months earlier to people who just want to write Hello, World!

September is *very* unlikely. They said fall and that lasts a lot longer...

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
September is *very* unlikely. They said fall and that lasts a lot longer...

Maybe October then, as that's the latest that all the rumor mills speculate that the a new iPhone model will start shipping. Can't have an iPhone 6 without iOS 8. Can't ship iOS 8 on new devices without undated apps for it (more than a few apps currently in the Store will be broken by the OS update). Developers can't submit iOS 8 apps (new or fixed) without a released SDK (we might get a 1 week head-start if lucky). So the SDK and new Xcode will be out by then. If it's a rush, then perhaps the Xcode release after that will be finally the reliable one for everybody to jump on.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
...you don't have to pay $99, you just have to wait until fall.

His point was that one cannot run one's code on an actual iPad (or any other iP* device) unless one pays the annual fee. This is true now, and will be true in the fall, too. That is, the public release of Xcode 6 will indeed be free in the fall, but it will still be unable to run code on an actual iP* device unless you pay the fee (or jailbreak).

Unless you're suggesting that Apple is going to add the "run on actual device" capability to the free developer account in the fall.

AxoNeuron

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2012
The Left Coast
He can run it in the simulator just fine...there's not really much of a difference if he just wants to display Hello World. Besides, if it was truly important he would pay the $99 program to get access to a lot of the developer resources.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
A public. Beta for Yosemite will arrive in the summer. There's a small chance Xcode 6 may also become available as a beta. Just wait a little, the summer is almost here.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Very unlikely considering the current state of Swift. Imo it's a wonder when it's finished in time for fall...

Several developers have reported the compiler is very solid, the only issues occur with Playground and the Editor, which should be corrected on time by launch day.
The language seems very powerful and yet simple. The Playground is a huge plus to Xcode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.