Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jun 12, 2014, 02:47 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Amazon Launches 'Prime Music' Streaming Service with Access to Over One Million Songs

Amazon today officially launched its Prime Music streaming music service, offering Amazon Prime users unlimited, ad-free streaming on over a million songs. The service allows users to play specific curated playlists as well as the ability to add individual songs to a playlist, and offers unlimited offline playback for all songs available on the service.

Amazon has also rebranded its Amazon Cloud Player iOS app as Amazon Music [Direct Link], offering a refined interface and allowing users to access songs on the service, with tools for managing a library and playlists. Like the web interface, Amazon also allows users to download music from Prime Music to a mobile device for offline listening.

As previously reported, Amazon's music catalog appears to only include songs older than six months, likely to save the company on royalty costs. By comparison, other streaming music services such as Spotify, Rdio, and Beats Music all offer new releases to their subscribers. Apple's iTunes Radio also offers new releases to listeners, however the service is centered more around users discovering new music through stations as opposed to searching for individual songs.

Amazon's Prime Music service also joins the company's Prime Instant Video offering, which allows access to a library of movie and TV shows. Currently, Amazon has 20 million paying Prime members that also receive free 2-day shipping on most items in addition to movie, music, and TV show access.

Amazon Prime Music is available now as a free service to current Amazon Prime members, with Amazon charging $99 per year for new Prime members. A free 30-day trial to the service is also available on Amazon's website. The company is also expected to announce a smartphone with 3D capabilities next week Wednesday, June 18.

Article Link: Amazon Launches 'Prime Music' Streaming Service with Access to Over One Million Songs
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2014, 02:49 AM   #2
na1577
macrumors 6502a

Prime just keeps getting better and better
Old Jun 12, 2014, 02:51 AM   #3
appleguy123
macrumors 603

I'm not complaining. Prime is the best $49 a year I've ever spent.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 02:54 AM   #4
jeffe
macrumors 6502

This is a great deal for the casual listener. I just hope Amazon opens up and allows access to there entire ecosystem from more places.
jeffe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2014, 03:19 AM   #5
randian
macrumors regular

Wonderful. Amazon raised the price of Prime $20 to give me a service I didn't want.
randian is offline   21 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2014, 03:22 AM   #6
duncansby
macrumors newbie

In the UK , Prime costs £79 ($133) and has no music streaming. I think they are deliberately trying to kill prime off in the UK
duncansby is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2014, 03:25 AM   #7
MH01
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncansby View Post
In the UK , Prime costs £79 ($133) and has no music streaming. I think they are deliberately trying to kill prime off in the UK
I bet we will have it shortly . I doubt amazon would kill its prime service In the uk given they just upgraded it.

----------

Good news for prime subscribers.

The service just gets better and better.
MH01 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2014, 03:57 AM   #8
duncansby
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MH01 View Post
I bet we will have it shortly . I doubt amazon would kill its prime service In the uk given they just upgraded it.

----------

Good news for prime subscribers.

The service just gets better and better.
They are definitely trying to kill off the delivery part of prime, otherwise they surely would give the option of delivery only without forcing people to take an instant film streaming (and or music in the future) that they may not want
duncansby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2014, 04:21 AM   #9
juanm
macrumors 65816

Send a message via MSN to juanm Send a message via Skype™ to juanm
And yet I always end up listening to the same songs in Repeat 1.
juanm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2014, 04:30 AM   #10
bpeeps
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
They are definitely trying to kill off the delivery part of prime, otherwise they surely would give the option of delivery only without forcing people to take an instant film streaming (and or music in the future) that they may not want
Don't want it, don't use it... as difficult as that may be to understand.
bpeeps is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2014, 04:47 AM   #11
TsMkLg068426
In Time-Out

One Million Pop songs Dance/Electronic section is pretty weak I hope this is because it just got launched or else I am annoyed not one Sunlounger or Armin Van Buuren heck zip Chill Out albums.
TsMkLg068426 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2014, 04:48 AM   #12
mixel
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to mixel Send a message via MSN to mixel Send a message via Yahoo to mixel
Quote:
That doesn't make any sense to me. Bundling their services together like this is a very clever way to grow market share and get people to check out the Amazon eco-system. Prime delivery is still the most important part of Prime to most subscribers.
mixel is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2014, 04:48 AM   #13
TsMkLg068426
In Time-Out

Quote:

Simple do not subscribe to it than and streaming is the future need to stop living in the past.
TsMkLg068426 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2014, 05:05 AM   #14
bushido
macrumors 601

Quote:
woah its 25€ for students and reg 49€ here in Germany icl. instant video and one day free delivery
bushido is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2014, 05:30 AM   #15
Manderby
macrumors 6502

[...] a free service [...] charging $99 per year.

Manderby is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2014, 05:30 AM   #16
jroadley
macrumors regular

Send a message via MSN to jroadley
Quote:
Originally Posted by bushido View Post
woah its 25€ for students and reg 49€ here in Germany icl. instant video and one day free delivery
You could get in the UK for £49 just as the streaming was being introduced. But after 12 months, it will be £79

Maybe the same in Germany.
jroadley is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2014, 05:37 AM   #17
tech3475
macrumors member

Quote:
I reckon they're doing it to pay for the services and to coerce suppliers, for example, they may be able to get older films/TV series to promote newer ones at a discount because of the large subscriber base.

That said, I can see any further price rises without justifying it costing them customers as well, I know someone who wont be renewing their Prime because of the last UK price rise (they don't need it since they have Sky which they'd keep anyway).
tech3475 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2014, 05:38 AM   #18
Steve121178
macrumors 68000

Holy crap. My Amazon Prime subscription is turning into deal of the century. I was originally over the moon with the free next day deliveries, now I get all this extra stuff. Amazing...
Old Jun 12, 2014, 05:39 AM   #19
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Interesting addition. I'll take it, but shipping is my "prime" interest, and Amazon is cutting off more and more items all the time by classifying them as "add on".

I think Amazon is becoming a Jack-Of-All-Trades, master of none. Or maybe the all you can eat buffet w/ nothing appetizing being served. Prime is feature rich but the content is very thin. Is streaming mostly backlist albums going to sell more Amazon devices (phones, Fire TVs, etc) ? I kind of think not.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 05:39 AM   #20
VulchR
macrumors 68000

I just don't get streaming services. How are they different than listening to the radio or to on-line radio? Or indeed how do they differ from the user-generated playlists that we used to see in iTunes? If I like a song I buy it. I don't want to rent songs.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 05:41 AM   #21
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve121178 View Post
Holy crap. My Amazon Prime subscription is turning into deal of the century. I was originally over the moon with the free next day deliveries, now I get all this extra stuff. Amazing...
It's not "free" unless you are comped; i.e., don't pay an annual fee. Otherwise it's subsidized. Free is when you pay 0.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 05:43 AM   #22
maflynn

This is where Apple is falling down, their embrace on selling songs has impeded to a large part that ability to set up a streaming service. I think Amazon has the edge with this and it keeps getting better.

I haven't tried Amazon's, as I use Pandora.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 05:44 AM   #23
OneMike
macrumors 68040

This is pretty cool
OneMike is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2014, 05:44 AM   #24
sinfonye
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixel View Post
That doesn't make any sense to me. Bundling their services together like this is a very clever way to grow market share and get people to check out the Amazon eco-system. Prime delivery is still the most important part of Prime to most subscribers.
I don't think they're growing UK market share. Because of their recent changes, I've downgraded my lovefilm subscription, and reduced my purchases (so I can take advantage of free supersaver delivery).

I'd guess their delivery cost base is higher in the UK, but this looks a bit like a reversal out of the market…
sinfonye is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2014, 05:46 AM   #25
bushido
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroadley View Post
You could get in the UK for £49 just as the streaming was being introduced. But after 12 months, it will be £79

Maybe the same in Germany.
no it used to be i think 29€ and they raised it to 49€ earlier this year to introduce video

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulchR View Post
I just don't get streaming services. How are they different than listening to the radio or to on-line radio? Or indeed how do they differ from the user-generated playlists that we used to see in iTunes? If I like a song I buy it. I don't want to rent songs.
cuz with services like Spotify you have access to the whole library and can actually PICK a song to play instead of hoping for a song to play at some point on the radio and it helps me discover artists i would have never even heard of
bushido is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion