Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Microsoft announced earlier this week that it was close to releasing a new version of its Skype for iOS app with a streamlined design and improved performance. Arriving as projected, the new Skype 5.0 for iPhone is rolling out now in the iOS App Store. Some users are reporting seeing the update in their App Store "Update" pane but are unable to download, so users should be patient as it propagates.

skype-5-iphone.jpg
Skype 5.0 focuses on making conversations easier with a refined group chat feature that can be launched from the main hub and a revised notification system that works across Skype platforms including the iPhone, PC and Xbox.
We're excited for you to see how the new app has been redesigned to put your conversations first, providing you with a smoother, leaner and more integrated experience. Skype for iPhone is up to five times faster and it is also more stable and more reliable. Navigating through the new UI is easier and more fluid. Whether it's creating a group chat, sending a photo or starting a video call, the new Skype for iPhone has been rethought to be simple and intuitive.

What's New in Version 5.0

- Overall performance improvements - faster start up and fluid animations.

- A new modern hub centric design putting recent conversations first - just swipe to see your favourite people or contacts.

- Richer and more reliable messaging: create groups, share photos (even to offline contacts) and video messages.

- In-app notifications for quick conversation switching, and in-app controls to manage notifications.

- A new simplified, modern voice and video calling experience.
Skype for iPhone is available for free from the iOS App Store. [Direct Link: iPhone]. An updated 5.0 version of Skype for the iPad is still under development.

Article Link: Redesigned Skype 5.0 for iPhone Launching Today

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
Skype?

That's the thing that is like facetime but is made by that company we all hate right? Bros?

Lostanddamned

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2009
London, UK
I deleted it in an effort to updated properly.

Its not showing up in the app store at all if you don’t have it installed.

However, if you search in iTunes, it is downloadable.

ForzaJuve

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2009
I am crossing my fingers for a decent update. I find the current version of Skype for iPhone pretty frustrating to use. For once it takes too many touches to finally get to my online contacts.

rayyu882

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2010
I deleted the app and re-download it off my purchased list, even it shown as version 4.17.3, after install, it has the 5.0 interface.

Xeyad

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
The interface seems very WP8-like!

As a WindowsPhone user, I kinda feel betrayed. I have a Nokia Lumia 1020, and both Nokia and Skype are owned by Microsoft, but even so, the Skype app for WindowsPhone is sub-par. Yes, the interface is smooth, but the app if filled with annoying bugs, and lacks some basic features. Switching between front and back camera while video calling is extremely buggy, and the app doesn’t feature any type of file sharing, or something as simple as sending a photo from the camera roll.

I love WindowsPhone, and I’ve actually came from an iPhone to the 1020 because the phone is incredible and WindowsPhone 8.1 is just buttery smooth and has that awesome fluidity to it. However, I just do not like how developers are treating the platform (Facebook and Instagram are crap on WP and haven't been updated in ages), and it’s unacceptable that Microsoft themselves don’t seem very willing to push forward with its own software.

Microsoft themselves don’t seem to care that Skype, their own brand, has a superior app on competing platforms than on their own system.

iPhone 6 can't come soon enough so I can switch back.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
First thoughts:
-in-app notifications are awesome
-swiping between recents, online, favorites is nice
-still no option to make return send a message...
-no indicator as to who is online on the recents screen
-button to send message is weird, looks like the icon to send your location

Overall, not bad. Now work on the travesty that's the Mac app.

mozumder

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2009
Will it allow for reliable receiving of calls this time?

I tried to use Skype as a VoIP phone with an old iPhone, but it only received Skype calls if the phone was active with the Skype app in the foreground... lame.

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007
Facetime is infinitely better than Skype. It just is.

Keeping telling yourself that ... over and over again ... while the rest of us will use something that has proven itself across many platforms.

I have to agree with dumastudetto. The quality of calls, ease of call initiation, not having to ensure a contact is online/available - all make FaceTime better for me. I dropped Skype as my go to solution when FaceTime was introduced.

Skype has certainly proven itself, but that doesn't make it better for everyone.

Cross platform and group chatting are the big strengths fro Skype. If you require these features, then it's a no brainer.

I have to admit it's been a few months since I last used Skype but the quality was just not as good as FaceTime (both audio and video) when making calls iOS to iOS. This may not be the case via desktop - it's not something require so I've not tested.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.