Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Vessyl, a smart cup designed by Yves Behar, is designed to measure and track any drink poured into it in real-time. Using sensors, Vessyl is able to detect drinks that are poured in to it, from water and soda to homemade smoothies, alcoholic beverages, coffee, tea, and more.

vessyl.jpg
When a drink is poured into Vessyl, an accompanying iPhone app displays all of the relevant nutritional information about the drink. Vessyl is able to track many pre-bottled drinks, but it is also able to determine the nutritional content of handmade beverages, such as smoothies or mixed drinks. The Verge was able to test Vessyl and has a detailed piece on the cup, including notes on its accuracy.
Let's cut to the chase: while I only had an hour with a Vessyl prototype, I tried nearly a dozen beverages in it -- and it successfully identified all of them. Within 10 seconds, the device, which currently resembles more of a Thermos than a finished product, recognized Crush orange soda, Vitamin Water XXX, Tropicana orange juice, Gatorade Cool Blue, plain-old water, and a few other beverages, all by name. Yes, this cup knows the difference between Gatorade Cool Blue and Glacier Freeze.

Vessyl can tell the difference between strong and weak coffee, Lee says, noting caffeine disparities. It can even measure the sugar, protein, calories, fat, and caffeine inside any beverage you pour into it, mass-produced or homemade.
Along with displaying nutritional information, Vessyl also keeps track of what a user drinks during the day, tallying statistics like calories consumed, caffeine levels, hydration, and more. Users can set goals within the app, tracking all of these metrics and more. Vessyl also tracks and estimates a person's real-time hydration needs based on how much they drink, which is measured through the liquid level in the cup.

Vessyl, which holds 13 ounces of liquid, has a built-in display, a spill-proof lid, and a non-stick interior. It connects to an iPhone using Bluetooth 4.0 to upload nutrient data to its accompanying iPhone app, which also integrates with popular activity trackers. The cup lasts for five to seven days on a single charge and uses wireless charging.

Vessyl can be pre-ordered for $99, but will later retail for $199. It is available in three different colors (Shadow, Snow, and Steam) along with several accent lid colors, and it is expected to begin shipping in early 2015.

Article Link: iPhone-Connected Vessyl Smart Cup Tracks Drinking Habits

wonder if it would detect trace laments of cyanide, urine or other special ingredients i swear my local subways add to my sprite

would find it most comical if this was sync'd to siri: i can imagine buying a bevereng and siri springing to action: "this coke is watered down like piss - enjoy" or "burger king milkshakes suck"

Finally a real-world use for siri - thanks Vessyl,

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Here's the most important question:

Can I put it in my dishwasher?

wonder if it would detect trace laments of cyanide, urine or other special ingredients i swear my local subways add to my sprite

If it does I can finally stop using other people as my poison checkers!

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
Sounds like it will go great with that BT fork from a year or two ago. Now I just need a smart knife, spoon, and plate to complete the set! :D

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Sounds like it will go great with that BT fork from a year or two ago. Now I just need a smart knife, spoon, and plate to complete the set! :D

IDK, still need a pitcher, salad tongs, spork, frying pan, deep fryer, cookie sheet, etc...

xizdun

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2011
This thing is so stupid.
OcZB0CH.png
Dumbest idea ever.

Of course I want to walk around holding a cup in my hand, don't need my hands for more useful purposes.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Yes, this cup knows the difference between Gatorade Cool Blue and Glacier Freeze.

So it detects different colors. Interesting. I bet it couldn't detect any of the ones that are dirty white and have different flavors though. ;)

Looks very nice. Sadly I'm mainly a water drinker, so it wouldn't be much use to me over a regular bottle.

Someone needs to create a device that you attach to the cup, which then measures the volume of said cup, and then does the identification that Vessyl does. The fact that you can't put these things in the dishwasher makes all these gadgets DOA.

The ad is done very well though.

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
This is rather neat. I am curious as to how it finds nutrition info on custom drinks.

A day will come when we can throw our food into the microwave and while warming up it will sync with our phone and update all nutrition information we intake

That would be awesome :D

BGrifter

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2012
I'm glad this product exists just for the ad. All those yuppies walking around the city pausing to take long soulful looks at a white plastic cup. It's like something from The Onion.

michaelant

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
Pretty cool idea, to me at least. Not much different than other health trackers, is it? Not everyone would be interested, but if it actually works well, I'd say the price is reasonable.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Tea, Earl Grey, hot.

...what, technology still sucks? Meh, wake me up in 150 years

wlossw

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Can it measure how much alcohol I have consumed? I have A hard time drinking enough booze, so it would be great to have a progress bar to help me reach my 24 beer per day goal. Imagine the convenience of not having to keep track of how many bottles of mouthwash, spirits, or wine I drink... This will free me up from keeping track and let me concentrate on finding new and interesting ways to ingest various alcoholic liquids.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.