Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrsx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 2, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
I decided to create a thread comparing PPC Mac temperatures. I talked to a couple members about temps (namely Erik and Altemose), and had a random idea to create this thread. Anyway, here are my PB G4 and iBook G4 temps, the first two pics being my PB, idle, then after 10 minutes of normal use, and the last two being my iBook, again, idle, then after 10 minutes of average use.
I used iStat Pro, and measured in Fahrenheit. Feel free to post and compare!

Attachments

• powerbooktempsidle.png
    powerbooktempsidle.png
    31.5 KB · Views: 613
  • powerbooktempsworkload.png
    powerbooktempsworkload.png
    31.5 KB · Views: 545
  • ibookidle.png
    ibookidle.png
    30.5 KB · Views: 538
  • ibookworkload.png
    ibookworkload.png
    30.3 KB · Views: 552

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I decided to create a thread comparing PPC Mac temperatures. I talked to a couple members about temps (namely Erik and Altemose), and had a random idea to create this thread. Anyway, here are my PB G4 and iBook G4 temps, the first two pics being my PB, idle, then after 10 minutes of normal use, and the last two being my iBook, again, idle, then after 10 minutes of average use.
I used iStat Pro, and measured in Fahrenheit. Feel free to post and compare!

Shows how much my newest PowerBook G4 acquisition needs fresh paste since it is at 142 F idle.

jrsx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 2, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
Shows how much my newest PowerBook G4 acquisition needs fresh paste since it is at 142 F idle.

Yeah, I would check that out...
tbh I never compared my iBooks temps w/ my PBs temps, I just figured my PB was hotter because the heat of the metal made it feel that way. Really, it only gets hotter when under a fairly heavy workload. That, and the combination of conductivity makes it hotter over time (an hour or so), but it generally stays cooler than my iBook, although I did the world's worst thermal compound job on the PB.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Yeah, I would check that out...
tbh I never compared my iBooks temps w/ my PBs temps, I just figured my PB was hotter because the heat of the metal made it feel that way. Really, it only gets hotter when under a fairly heavy workload. That, and the combination of conductivity makes it hotter over time (an hour or so), but it generally stays cooler than my iBook, although I did the world's worst thermal compound job on the PB.

No the worst was when I was using the syringe style tube and I guess there was a blockage in the tube. I eased on more pressure and a whole bunch of brand new Arctic Silver 5 went all over a Core i7. Was really fun trying to clean that up.... :rolleyes:

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Likes to burn up! Do your fans rev up for a second when you open a program? Mine seems to do it with everything.

Sounds like your fans need to be calibrated again. Any signs of a coolant leak? Also, when was the last time you repasted your machine? My air cooled 1.8 I am using now is under 120 with Spotify, Mail, YouView, TenFourFox, Skype, and WebKit open. My LCS based 2.7 is at 130-140.

----------

The G5s run hotter.

My iMac G5 idles around 145º or so.

I am typing this from a PowerMac G5 1.8 with a Dual 2.7 in for a rebuild. Following the rebuild, it does about 130-140.

wobegong

May 29, 2012
For my Dual Core 2.3 it's 50 to 68 degrees C (I believe around 125 to 154 f) but if really hammered maybe up to 75C. Fans tend to start audibly kicking in around 50% CPU useage (looking at iStat)

jrsx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 2, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
I pulled off some stress tests on my iBook (lots of flash usage, geekbenches, etc.), and it actually got to 154F!. I was surprised.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Just repasted my 15" PowerBook G4 1.5 GHz. Went from 142 F to 115 F with MacRumors open. I did not replace the pad for the GPU.

The hardest part was getting the Logic Board back in.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
I'll post for my LCS G5. Usually jumps around quite often!
- And no hating for me using fahrenheit! Just easier for me to understand.

CPU A - 148-175*F
CPU B - 142-167*F

OK, my G5 is always much hotter than that. It doesn't appear to be leaking, perhaps the thermal paste is on its way out? I might check that out, as it is quite loud the way it is.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
OK, my G5 is always much hotter than that. It doesn't appear to be leaking, perhaps the thermal paste is on its way out? I might check that out, as it is quite loud the way it is.

After seeing the black as tar paste that was on my PowerBook today, I highly recommend you change it since the G5 is a more stressful environment for the paste.

hamis92

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2007
Finland
Do you guys know of any good guides for reapplying thermal paste to a G5? Google turned up post-operation impressions mostly...

My school was recently getting rid of old Macs, I grabbed myself a 2003 2,0 GHz DP – at no cost. It's a fine machine but could probably use new thermal paste after more than 10 years in existence...

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Do you guys know of any good guides for reapplying thermal paste to a G5? Google turned up post-operation impressions mostly...

My school was recently getting rid of old Macs, I grabbed myself a 2003 2,0 GHz DP – at no cost. It's a fine machine but could probably use new thermal paste after more than 10 years in existence...

How many did they get rid of? What temps are you getting in Temperature Monitor before you strip the Mac.

hamis92

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2007
Finland
How many did they get rid of? What temps are you getting in Temperature Monitor before you strip the Mac.

There were about 10 G5s, large piles of PowerBook G4s, a few MDDs and 2006 iMacs as well as some other Apple gems in smaller numbers. I think at least most of the G5s were picked up by various people. I also took one of the iMacs. I would've loved a few PowerBooks as well but my hands were full with the G5 and the iMac. A couple of days later I visited the department again to see if there was anything left, but everything had been moved out already – I was under the impression they weren't scrapped but went somewhere else in our campus for storage.

I'll have to check the temps later when I get the chance, the G5 lives in a different address than I do.

jrsx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 2, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
You can find instructions at http://www.arcticsilver.com I believe. They only have guides for AMD and Intel processors, but as long as it's the same shape and size, the same limitations should apply. These are only guides for desktop CPU, so don't use them for laptops, anyone else reading this.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
There were about 10 G5s, large piles of PowerBook G4s, a few MDDs and 2006 iMacs as well as some other Apple gems in smaller numbers. I think at least most of the G5s were picked up by various people. I also took one of the iMacs. I would've loved a few PowerBooks as well but my hands were full with the G5 and the iMac. A couple of days later I visited the department again to see if there was anything left, but everything had been moved out already – I was under the impression they weren't scrapped but went somewhere else in our campus for storage.

I'll have to check the temps later when I get the chance, the G5 lives in a different address than I do.

I would call them up and see. Especially if they were giving them away and you didn't just snag them. So you got one Intel and a G5? The G5 repaste job is a bit involved in comparison to other Macs, but it isn't hard if you have done similar work on them.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
After seeing the black as tar paste that was on my PowerBook today, I highly recommend you change it since the G5 is a more stressful environment for the paste.

I set the G5 on its side with a pan under it, and no liquid came out. I popped out the LCS assembly intending to add thermal paste and be done with it. Of course, I see the green crystals around the CPU.

Oh well. I'll have a long day soon...

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I set the G5 on its side with a pan under it, and no liquid came out. I popped out the LCS assembly intending to add thermal paste and be done with it. Of course, I see the green crystals around the CPU.

Oh well. I'll have a long day soon...

Those G5 LCS rebuilds are a royal pain. Is it leaking from the O-Rings again?

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
How on earth do you remove the black rubbery hoses? I've removed the clamps, but they won't budge.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.