Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jun 13, 2014, 03:55 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Launches Exchange Program for 5W European USB Power Adapter

Apple today launched a exchange program in 36 countries for certain models of its 5W European USB power adapter, which the company says may overheat and pose a safety risk in some cases, reports German site iFun (Google Translate).

The affected adapters, which are identified as Model A1300, originally came with iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, and iPhone 4S models that shipped from October 2009 to September 2012. Apple is allowing users to bring in the affected adapters to an Apple Retail Store or participating Apple Authorized Service Provider, and will give a new adapter after a corresponding iPhone serial number is verified.

The program differs from Apple's third-party USB charger takeback program, which launched last year in over thirty countries. That program allows users to trade-in a third-party USB charger for a discount on an official Apple charger, and was created following the electrocution of a Chinese woman that may have been caused counterfeit iPhone charger.

Article Link: Apple Launches Exchange Program for 5W European USB Power Adapter
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2014, 04:07 AM   #2
OlivierK
macrumors newbie

I got one of those, I guess I should go and get a new one. Although I have been using it for 2 years so far and no problems...

Last edited by OlivierK; Jun 13, 2014 at 04:13 AM.
OlivierK is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2014, 04:10 AM   #3
peterh988
macrumors member

Just had a look, not affected, but needed an electron microscope to read the number!
peterh988 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2014, 04:14 AM   #4
TouchMint.com
macrumors 65816

Still confused.

TouchMint.com is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2014, 04:32 AM   #5
arbitter
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchMint.com View Post
Still confused.
Not entirely sure what could be confusing about reading a model number...
arbitter is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2014, 04:50 AM   #6
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchMint.com View Post
Still confused.
It appears to be only for certain models of the A1300, 5W European USB Power Adapters.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 04:52 AM   #7
foobarbaz
macrumors 6502

Must indeed be rare if it took that long to discover.

I still have some power adapters in original packaging. Does anybody know if I can tell if they're affected without opening them?
The model number isn't on the outside, but the copyright says 2012 and the schematics seem to depict iPhone 5 and Lightning style, so I guess I'm good.
foobarbaz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2014, 04:55 AM   #8
SwissMac2
macrumors member

I have one of those iPhones but my adaptor looks nothing like the illustration - it certainly doesn't have a rhomboid shape but is the old block shape like the one the first iPhone shipped with in Europe.

It looks like your graphic artist created an illustration of what his charger looked like (using a US model) and linked it with an article about a European model. I mean, Europe is just like Kansas, isn't it?
SwissMac2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2014, 05:09 AM   #9
pmontanarella
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissMac2 View Post
I have one of those iPhones but my adaptor looks nothing like the illustration - it certainly doesn't have a rhomboid shape but is the old block shape like the one the first iPhone shipped with in Europe.

It looks like your graphic artist created an illustration of what his charger looked like (using a US model) and linked it with an article about a European model. I mean, Europe is just like Kansas, isn't it?
Actually they exist. It's just the image is from a weird perspective.

Link (italian store)
Old Jun 13, 2014, 05:13 AM   #10
Menel
macrumors 68040

Quote:

It's from the Agerman source article, because presumably that's what they look like.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 05:20 AM   #11
apfelmann
macrumors regular

Is this the new Mac mini?
apfelmann is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2014, 05:34 AM   #12
bbnck
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlivierK View Post
I got one of those, I guess I should go and get a new one. Although I have been using it for 2 years so far and no problems...
It is foolish to think you will be OK just because it hasn't overheated over the last two years. You should get it replaced as should anyone that has an affected adapter. Don't take chances.
bbnck is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2014, 05:39 AM   #13
foobarbaz
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I don't know about Switzerland, but in Germany the adapters that shipped with 3GS and later look exactly like this.

Quote:
Are we talking about the illustration they copied straight from Apple's exchange website?
foobarbaz is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2014, 05:44 AM   #14
odedia
macrumors 6502a

Next recall must be this disaster:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4766577?tstart=0
odedia is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2014, 06:08 AM   #15
Martin81
macrumors member

I got one of those Power Adapters.

Will visit my local Reseller next week. But I wonder, why they want the serial number of my iPhone. Bought the effected Power Adapter separately.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 06:56 AM   #16
pauliaK
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin81 View Post

Will visit my local Reseller next week. But I wonder, why they want the serial number of my iPhone. Bought the effected Power Adapter separately.
Perhaps it's like 1 exchange per phone. They would make a note of your IMEI or something.

And if it's the case I wonder whether they would replace mine since I'm in Europe now and have bought an European charger separately though my phone itself is from Canada and I bought it factory unlocked from an Apple store, so it came with American charger.

I doubt it's a problem since I had my iPad replaced in Canada which I bought in US, just curious though.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 06:58 AM   #17
Sandstorm
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin81 View Post

Yeah, I actually have 2 of those A1300 ones as my spare chargers. But why would I need to hunt those old serial numbers from iPhones I don't have anymore (one 4 lost, one 3G given away)?

If the adapters are not safe, just exchange them. Definitely will visit my local Apple authorised service provider and try to exchange them anyway.
Sandstorm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2014, 07:13 AM   #18
Martin81
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauliaK View Post
Perhaps it's like 1 exchange per phone. They would make a note of your IMEI or something.
There might be a limitation, but I don't think it's 1.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 07:17 AM   #19
foobarbaz
macrumors 6502

I once had to replace Apple headphones that I bought without a device under warranty.

They just wanted *any* device serial number (even from a MacBook), because I guess that's how they connect the "repair" to your customer data or maybe that's how their internal accounting works.

It sounded like I could have gotten it replaced without any serial number, too, but then they couldn't have done it automatically through their system (maybe requiring permission from the manager or something).
foobarbaz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2014, 07:53 AM   #20
Dezmond
macrumors newbie

Got one of these with my iPhone4. Haven't noticed any problems so far but might trade it in if I've got the time.
Dezmond is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2014, 08:02 AM   #21
bushido
macrumors 601

Quote:

well jokes on you. the charger has been this tiny since the iPhone 4 at least in Germany and Spain
bushido is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2014, 08:07 AM   #22
Wayfarer
macrumors 6502a

That redesign of the "CE" though! Newsworthy because graphic design tickles my fancy.

Now it is consistent and harmonious with the other icons.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 08:09 AM   #23
Kuray
macrumors regular

"It was also sold as a standalone accessory."

So you can replace it if you bought it separately. But they may require you proof of receipt. Than you can request receipt if you bought it from Apple Store.

I will replace the charger and frayed cable with my friend's serial number
Kuray is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2014, 08:22 AM   #24
OlivierK
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnck View Post
It is foolish to think you will be OK just because it hasn't overheated over the last two years. You should get it replaced as should anyone that has an affected adapter. Don't take chances.
That's not what I meant. I meant that it's not my number 1 priority of things to do today... I am obviously going to get it replaced
OlivierK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2014, 08:25 AM   #25
blackburn
macrumors 6502a

They should also replace some of the 10watt chargers, I've had two that died with a bang. Both of times they also killed my iPad.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion