Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alyssap22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2014
:mad:
When I go to set it up it lets me get through the first few steps such as connecting to my home wifi. When it asks for my iCloud info is where i get into some trouble. It says that the iPad is associated with s*****@icloud.com. This confused me so I clicked the little help icon. It says if I bought it second hand to contact the seller and have them unlock it via iCloud.com.
I might be naive but I contacted the ebay seller assuming that they just might have forgot to do this before they sent the iPad.
They should be able to go to iCloud.com and remove their account right?
They emailed me back asking me to send the iPad back to them so they can unlock it for me. This is making me think that this iPad is somehow stolen which is why they are not going to iCloud to help me and are just asking me to send it back.

Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions? I'm not sure what I should do next. Should I send it back? Or contact ebay? Help

http://www.ebay.com/usr/aceshopusa This is the seller

hallidc

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2013
Only way to unlock it is to get the account password and unlock it from the device. If I were you, I'd send it back. If they fail to refund you money then open a dispute. Or open a dispute before you ship it back to them.

Last edited:

SVTmaniac

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2013
File a dispute with Ebay and PayPal. I wouldn't just send it back to them. They may never refund your money.

alyssap22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2014
I emailed the seller back asking if her could unlock it remotely. He should be able to do that via iCloud.com if it was his right?

I also called ebay and the customer service rep I spoke to told me to not send it back to him (so he can unlock and and then send it back to me) as there is no guarantee that I will receive the item back.

So I guess if he continues to ask me to send it back to him or can't do it online (maybe its stolen) then I will have to open a claim.

This is really sucky as I was going to give this to my daughter as a gift for her birthday on Sunday. She loves playing games on my iPhone and thought it would be great for her because there are a lot of educational apps.

Last edited:

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
Personally I would just have gone to apple.com and got a refurbished from them. I rather pay a few extra bucks to avoid this issue and a year warrenty also.

And no, they can't unlock it from iCloud.com

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
They can't unlock it via these steps? http://support.apple.com/kb/ts4515

Yes they can, that is the actual device that are in the pictures. So the seller either
A) tell you the password, the he/she just changes their password
B) you send it back, they unlock it, and then send it back to you.

Edit:
That might work
Sign in to their iCloud account at http://www.icloud.com/find.
Click All Devices to open a list of devices linked to their account, then select the device to be removed. It should show a gray dot or the word “Offline” next to the device name.
Click "Remove from Account" to remove the device from their account.
After the device is removed from the previous owner’s account, turn the device off by pressing and holding the Sleep/Wake button located on the top-right side of the device. Then restart your device and proceed with device setup as you would normally.

But it has to be on wifi for it to work, and with it locked, you can't put it on your wifi.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Only way to unlock it is to get the account password and unlock it from the device.

And no, they can't unlock it from iCloud.com

Not true. See http://support.apple.com/kb/ts4515
If the previous owner is not present
Contact the previous owner and ask them to follow these steps to remove the device from their account:

Sign in to their iCloud account at http://www.icloud.com/find.
Click All Devices to open a list of devices linked to their account, then select the device to be removed. It should show a gray dot or the word “Offline” next to the device name.
Click "Remove from Account" to remove the device from their account.

After the device is removed from the previous owner’s account, turn the device off by pressing and holding the Sleep/Wake button located on the top-right side of the device. Then restart your device and proceed with device setup as you would normally.

Last edited:

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I emailed the seller back asking if her could unlock it remotely. He should be able to do that via iCloud.com if it was his right?

I also called ebay and the customer service rep I spoke to told me to not send it back to him (so he can unlock and and then send it back to me) as there is no guarantee that I will receive the item back.

So I guess if he continues to ask me to send it back to him or can't do it online (maybe its stolen) then I will have to open a claim.

This is really sucky as I was going to give this to my daughter as a gift for her birthday on Sunday. She loves playing games on my iPhone and thought it would be great for her because there are a lot of educational apps.

I am struggling financially so I needed to get a used/refurbished unit as they are cheaper.
Too bad you didn't go for the $199 Target deal. Ebay cases don't take a long time to resolve.

Here's what you need to do to expedite the resolution.

1) Contact seller thru the Ebay message center and explain what Ebay said which was don't send it back. He needs to help you unlock without sending the unit back.

2) Wait for his response. If he says no and you need to send it back.

3) Open a case with Ebay.

This all typically takes 7-14 business days for a resolution and refund.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
But it has to be on wifi for it to work, and with it locked, you can't put it on your wifi.

What? Just do it from a computer, another iDevice, heck, I bet you could even do it from an Android phone.

In any case, it's the seller who has to do that, not the OP.

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
Yep you got screwed over buddy. Open up your case. Leave your negative comment and that will be that. Sell it on ebay iCloud locked and you might get $100 or so.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Seller unlocks of from iCloud, and they buyer plugs into iTunes?

Yes. Or probably, once the seller removes the device from his account, the buyer can just proceed with the iPad setup on the iPad itself. Just has to restart the iPad.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
Yes. Or probably, once the seller removes the device from his account, the buyer can just proceed with the iPad setup on the iPad itself. Just has to restart the iPad.

That's just it, how does the iPad know it's removed from the account if it doesn't have a network connection to know and get that info from Apple?

alyssap22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2014
That's just it, how does the iPad know it's removed from the account if it doesn't have a network connection to know and get that info from Apple?

It lets me choose my language and connect to my home wifi. I just can't get passed the activation lock.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008

Of course it connects to Apple -- that's how it knows it's activation locked in the first place!

I believe the process goes something like:

You turn on an iPad that's been reset to factory.
iPad looks for and connects to wifi network, asking for network password if needed.
iPad calls home to Apple. Either receives ok to go ahead and continue setup, or receives signal that it is activation locked, and displays error message.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
Of course it connects to Apple -- that's how it knows it's activation locked in the first place!

I believe the process goes something like:

You turn on an iPad that's been reset to factory.
iPad looks for and connects to wifi network, asking for network password if needed.
iPad calls home to Apple. Either receives ok to go ahead and continue setup, or receives signal that it is activation locked, and displays error message.

According to another post, it's on wifi. I played around with an old iPhone (no SIM) with the activation lock and it never looked or asked to join a network. It just said I needed to put in my password for my iTunes account, but because it wasn't connected to a network it wouldn't unlock.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
According to another post, it's on wifi. I played around with an old iPhone (no SIM) with the activation lock and it never looked or asked to join a network. It just said I needed to put in my password for my iTunes account, but because it wasn't connected to a network it wouldn't unlock.

Activating iPhone without SIM card is another issue altogether, Believe us, iPads connect to wifi when they are being set up.

Señor

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2013
United States
Oh these "bought from Ebay stories" are always amusing to read and wait for the OP's response.

If the seller refuses to unlock it via iCloud and insists on you to send it back, file a dispute with Ebay and Paypal and get your money back.

Why do people seriously still buy expensive products like this on Ebay?

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
Oh these "bought from Ebay stories" are always amusing to read and wait for the OP's response.

If the seller refuses to unlock it via iCloud and insists on you to send it back, file a dispute with Ebay and Paypal and get your money back.

Why do people seriously still buy expensive products like this on Ebay?

I have no idea why people are just so he'll bent on saving a few measley dollars trying to buy things for ebay and various other shady places. Apple sells refurbed products at decent prices and you won't ever have any issues with them. Even if you did, they'll handle it and yer good. Tough deal. Oh well. Lesson learned.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I have no idea why people are just so he'll bent on saving a few measley dollars trying to buy things for ebay and various other shady places. Apple sells refurbed products at decent prices and you won't ever have any issues with them. Even if you did, they'll handle it and yer good. Tough deal. Oh well. Lesson learned.

I assume the OP purchased the non retina Mini. The same Mini that's on sale at Target and Best Buy for $199.

alyssap22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2014
All of the targets near me where sold out once I got wind of the deal.

The seller emailed me back saying this:
Dear,
We are very sorry, we will be sending you the replacement, As soon as we get the confirmation from you regarding the shipment of the locked Ipad...
We apologize for the in convince it has caused you...we hope that you will not get discouraged on future purchase from us.

- aceshopusa

So should I open a case? Ebay advised me to not send it back because there is no guarantee I will receive it back. Please advise.

I realize buying an iPad on ebay may have not been the smartest decision. Lesson learned. I got a great deal and I guess it was too good to be true.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
All of the targets near me where sold out once I got wind of the deal.

The seller emailed me back saying this:
Dear,
We are very sorry, we will be sending you the replacement, As soon as we get the confirmation from you regarding the shipment of the locked Ipad...
We apologize for the in convince it has caused you...we hope that you will not get discouraged on future purchase from us.

- aceshopusa

So should I open a case? Ebay advised me to not send it back because there is no guarantee I will receive it back. Please advise.

I realize buying an iPad on ebay may have not been the smartest decision. Lesson learned. I got a great deal and I guess it was too good to be true.

Immediately !

They are scamming you by saying send them back the unit first or as the saying goes. The check is in the mail. ;)

Demand a full refund from Ebay. Btw, Best Buy is selling the Mini for the same price and Walmart will also price match the item.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I think its clear the buyer doesn't know the password to unlock it, can't unlock it, and didn't know it was locked when they sent it. So they are hoping you will take an exchange.

Since it's their screw up, I would demand that they issue me a prepaid return label so that they incur the costs of shipping. I would send it back to them that way, after I confirm they will send a replacement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.