Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ozreth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
I didn't have a USB drive to download the software to, and don't have my OSX discs with me. When Windows 7 is finished installing is there a way to download software and install it? Does it have to be burned to a disc/drive or can I mount a disc image?

Thanks!

P.S. I would have posted this in the Windows section but it's a ghost town.

Last edited:

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I didn't have a USB drive to download the software to, and don't have my OSX discs with me. When Windows 7 is finished installing is there a way to download software and install it? Does it have to be burned to a disc/drive or can I mount a disc image?

Thanks!

P.S. I would have posted this in the Windows section but it's a ghost town.

Verify you have a computer in the supported list and download this file. You may need an older file for your Mac if not on that list.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1720

ozreth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
Verify you have a computer in the supported list and download this file. You may need an older file for your Mac if not on that list.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1720

Ah, but in the directions it says to copy the contents to a USB drive :/

Can I skip that step and just unzip and run the file? I've got Windows 7 up and running now but of course everything is big and ugly and no drivers are installed yet.

And it's a mid 2010 13" MBP.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
I didn't have a USB drive to download the software to, and don't have my OSX discs with me. When Windows 7 is finished installing is there a way to download software and install it?

Probably not if you don't have drivers for your network adapters. 2 GB thumb drives are free in specially marked boxes of cereal. Just go to your local Walmart or wherever and buy one.

Does it have to be burned to a disc/drive or can I mount a disc image?

The download is a .zip file so it can be extracted in Windows without having to install any additional software.

ozreth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
If you can get it on your Mac somehow if the network adapter works then you shouldn't need a disk. I think my cMBP has native network support, but no clue on the newer models.

Gotcha. I downloaded the file and just ran the setup and it says "This version of Bootcamp is not intended for this computer model."

Looks like I need older software. Gonna give that a go.

ozreth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009

Success! Thank you.

While I'm here, am I using x64 Boot Camp? If my OSX is totally up to date does it update my Boot camp from 32 to 64? Does it matter? Can my computer use x64 Boot camp?

And will this Nvidia driver that its installing right now be the newest one? Im mostly doing this for a game.

Sorry for all these questions! BC seems a little more confusing than it was when it first came out.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Success! Thank you.

While I'm here, am I using x64 Boot Camp? If my OSX is totally up to date does it update my Boot camp from 32 to 64? Does it matter? Can my computer use x64 Boot camp?

And will this Nvidia driver that its installing right now be the newest one? Im mostly doing this for a game.

Sorry for all these questions! BC seems a little more confusing than it was when it first came out.

From what I see in the Boot Camp software chart, it is the same software for both 64 and 32 bit copies of Windows.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5634

That is the chart at the bottom that will show you what is the latest version appropriate for your version of Windows and computer. Using Apple Software Update in Windows will update Boot Camp to the latest appropriate versions.

ozreth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
From what I see in the Boot Camp software chart, it is the same software for both 64 and 32 bit copies of Windows.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5634

That is the chart at the bottom that will show you what is the latest version appropriate for your version of Windows and computer. Using Apple Software Update in Windows will update Boot Camp to the latest appropriate versions.

Ok, so basically when Windows updates Bootcamp via the Apple Software Update It will also install the latest graphics driver for my GPU?

That's the only thing I can't seem to get answered through that Boot Camp page. Thanks for all the help.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
Ok, so basically when Windows updates Bootcamp via the Apple Software Update It will also install the latest graphics driver for my GPU?

You would need to get those directly from NVIDIA. Go to the download/support section of their website, and use the menu to navigate to your GPU and version of Windows. It will then direct you to the correct download page.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland

That's the only thing I can't seem to get answered through that Boot Camp page. Thanks for all the help.

Yes. Boot Camp support should install a graphics driver which is later updated by Apple Software Update when appropriate.

You would need to get those directly from NVIDIA. Go to the download/support section of their website, and use the menu to navigate to your GPU and version of Windows. It will then direct you to the correct download page.

Not necessarily. Boot Camp should install and update all appropriate drivers. Some people choose to use other drivers, but Boot Camp will install a driver for the card.

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
Boot Camp should install and update all appropriate drivers. Some people choose to use other drivers, but Boot Camp will install a driver for the card.

The OP specifically asked for the latest driver. The ones provided in the Windows support software can be months, if not years, out of date. The only way to be certain you're truly up-to-date is to download directly from the GPU manufacturer.

All the other drivers supplied by Apple should be sufficient for reliable operation of the system in Windows.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
The OP specifically asked for the latest driver. The ones provided in the Windows support software can be months, if not years, out of date. The only way to be certain you're truly up-to-date is to download directly from the GPU manufacturer.

All the other drivers supplied by Apple should be sufficient for reliable operation of the system in Windows.

One must first ensure that they can upgrade to the new driver or if they must remove the old one first. Just a reminder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.