Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
Hello. I have an atv3 and iphone 5c and am trying to figure out how to use headphones while mirroring from the iphone to the tv without a very long cable.

My first thought was audio output from the phone while mirroring, but it seems like that is not possible.

My next thought was using an airport express and hooking headphones to it, selecting it as audio output, but I have a TPLink router.

I'm guessing it's not possible to do do this with a non apple router wirelessly, or is it? Any ideas? I know buying 2 apple routers is one option, but money is an issue.

Thanks.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
an airport express will join* your existing network (no matter who makes it, wi-fi is wi-fi) and you can send audio to it. or you can wire the express to your main router.
The airplay signals are basically just regular network traffic, and all network gear will pass them.

the main issue with doing it that way is the output on the airport express is line level, you need an amp of some kind to drive headphones off of it.
you could use something like this you need to be able to charge it though, the USB port on the express might be able to handle that though so you could just leave it all plugged in.

i just tried setting the speakers on the aTV to a set of remote speakers. then airplayed something from my ipad to the aTV. It worked.

also the express is available refurbished for $75

* it will join, which is what your computer or phone with the network.
It will not extend the network, which is where it gets the signal from your main router and then re-transmits it so devices that can't see your main router can connect.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
Thanks again for the detailed answer. You seem very knowledgeable in this area so I will ask probably a dumb question. Is there anything that can be hooked to a tv to send wirelessly to a receiver so that earbuds can be connected as I hate any kind of headphones but earbuds.

an airport express will join* your existing network (no matter who makes it, wi-fi is wi-fi) and you can send audio to it. or you can wire the express to your main router.
The airplay signals are basically just regular network traffic, and all network gear will pass them.

the main issue with doing it that way is the output on the airport express is line level, you need an amp of some kind to drive headphones off of it.
you could use something like this you need to be able to charge it though, the USB port on the express might be able to handle that though so you could just leave it all plugged in.

i just tried setting the speakers on the aTV to a set of remote speakers. then airplayed something from my ipad to the aTV. It worked.

also the express is available refurbished for $75

* it will join, which is what your computer or phone with the network.
It will not extend the network, which is where it gets the signal from your main router and then re-transmits it so devices that can't see your main router can connect.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
you could look at the new roku, you won't have airplay, but there might be a channel available to watch the content directly on the roku instead of using airplay from the phone to the aTV.

the newest version has a headphone jack on the remote.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
Yes, I thought about getting the Roku 3 when it came out for that reason. I may, but I was hoping for something with the atv as I do really like airplay. I may wait and see if a new atv comes out soon. If apple made it where you could listen from the iphone while mirroring the problem would be solved.

Thank You.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.