Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
I thought this was an interesting article...never saw these comments from Ive before.

Tim Cook, Making Apple His Own

Jonathan Ive, the head of design at Apple and a name nearly as adored by its followers as Steve Jobs, says Cook has not neglected the company's central mission: innovation. "Honestly, I don't think anything's changed," he said. And that includes the clamor for some exciting new thing. "People felt exactly the same way when we were working on the iPhone," Ive added.

"It is hard for all of us to be patient," Ive said. "It was hard for Steve. It is hard for Tim."

Almost daily, employees would spot Jobs having lunch on Apple's campus with Ive. These days, Ive said, he meets three days a week with Cook, generally in each other's offices. But Ive said the design processes are essentially unchanged.

"Steve established a set of values, and he established preoccupations and tones that are completely enduring," Ive said. Chief among them, he said, is a reliance on small creative teams whose membership remains intact to this day. The philosophy that materials and products are intertwined also continues under Cook. For instance, when the company decided to use titanium to build a laptop, Ive said, he and Cook and Jobs thought extensively about how to push the boundaries of the metal to get the look and feel they wanted. And Ive pointed to another enduring value: a complete focus on the product.

If Jobs was maniacal about design, Cook projects "quiet consideration," Ive said. Cook digests things carefully, with time, which Ive said "testifies to the fact he knows it's important."

Lower-level employees praise Cook's approachability and intellect. But some say he is less hands-on in developing products than his predecessor. They point to the development of the so-called iWatch - the "smartwatch" that Apple observers are eagerly awaiting as the next world-beating gadget. Cook is less involved in the minutiae of product engineering for the watch and has instead delegated those duties to members of his executive Cabinet, including Ive, according to people involved in the project, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to press. Apple declined to comment.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
I'm curious what you think today.
Wow, that's some 2½ yrs ago. An eternity in the Tech world really. Since you dug that up, feel free to peruse some of my more recent posts about Tim's current performance.

There seems to be way too much emphasis on profits lately, mainly to the detriment of legacy products. In my opinion necessitated by Tim's lack of patents to his name, as well as generally less of a vision going forward, and a more muddied, less focussed effort in product development, evidenced by a huge and somewhat confusing (and in some cases duplicitous) product lineup.

To put it more plainly, imho Tim's sole job security at Apple is profits for the shareholders. With the TV effort now apparently permanently at the 'hobby' stage, and project 'Titan' seemingly in flux, as well as an absence of exciting other new products on the near horizon, the nickel-and-diming to sustain those almighty profits seems to have started. Steve could simply not be replaced, and with his famous pipeline now virtually depleted, stagnation is a real possibility. Incremental yearly updates just won't cut it indefinitely.

Sorry to be bear-ish, but with an eye towards the company's long-term future, Apple is realistically speaking more than likely on the descend side of the curve. Only a miracle new steward can sustain them for a new generation of increasingly savvy and demanding tech clientele.

Last edited:

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Sorry to be bear-ish, but with an eye towards the company's long-term future, Apple is realistically speaking more than likely on the descend side of the curve. Only a miracle new steward can sustain them for a new generation of increasingly savvy tech clientele.
Or, Tim could fire Jony. We'd see a new Apple rather quickly. Maybe even Phil would get off his ass.

weup togo

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2016
Wow, that's some 2½ yrs ago. An eternity in the Tech world really. Since you dug that up, feel free to peruse some of my more recent posts about Tim's current performance.

There seems to be way too much emphasis on profits lately, mainly to the detriment of legacy products. In my opinion necessitated by Tim's lack of patents to his name, as well as generally less of a vision going forward, and a more muddied, less focussed effort in product development, evidenced by a huge and somewhat confusing (and in some cases duplicitous) product lineup.

To put it more plainly, imho Tim's sole job security at Apple is profits for the shareholders. With the TV effort now apparently permanently at the 'hobby' stage, and project 'Titan' seemingly in flux, as well as an absence of exciting other new products on the near horizon, the nickel-and-diming to sustain those almighty profits seems to have started. Steve could simply not be replaced, and with his famous pipeline now virtually depleted, stagnation is a real possibility. Incremental yearly updates just won't cut it indefinitely.

Sorry to be bear-ish, but with an eye towards the company's long-term future, Apple is realistically speaking more than likely on the descend side of the curve. Only a miracle new steward can sustain them for a new generation of increasingly savvy tech clientele.

Spot on, I agree 100%. Humorously, this thread was the top related thread to another new thread in the last 24h.

I'm glad the tide is turning against Tim's shoddy leadership. I was the first person I know to express any reservations about the changes he started making within months of SJ's death. It was too soon then to know if it would be a pattern or just missing the old days.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Spot on, I agree 100%. Humorously, this thread was the top related thread to another new thread in the last 24h.

I'm glad the tide is turning against Tim's shoddy leadership. I was the first person I know to express any reservations about the changes he started making within months of SJ's death. It was too soon then to know if it would be a pattern or just missing the old days.
How is the tide turning? I don't see it where it counts. Arm chair ceos and analysts excluded.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
How is the tide turning? I don't see it where it counts. Arm chair ceos and analysts excluded.
While I agree that most of the "tide" is from Apple's core fan base, but there is an increasing concern about Apple's leadership coming from investors, and those voices are the ones that apple cares about, since its basically Apple's owners becoming concerned.

I've posted this before, but I think its on topic here:
Link:
A pointed question that UBS’ Steve Milunovich put to CEO Tim Cook on Apple’s earnings conference call isn’t likely to make anyone confident Apple is on the path to creating game-changing products. As Business Insider’s Kif Leswing flagged on Tuesday, Milunovich asked Cook about whether the company had a “grand strategy” that goes beyond just selling more iPhones. The answer from Cook was, more or less, “No.”

So investment bankers are asking about Apple's strategy, and all they got was a rambling answer about how great the pipeline is. Well, we've been hearing that sort of answer from Cook for about 4 years (maybe longer), and to be honest, I'm not seeing much come from apple's pipeline that really excites me. While I will admit, that I'm not the typical apple customer any longer, I think its safe to say that thinner products are not considered innovative and exciting.

Those investment bankers want to know Apple's strategy, because the iPhone, (apple's cash cow), will not last forever, and cracks in the dike are already appearing, so as owners they'd like to know more about Apple's direction from Cook.

I think the news about starting, killing off, then re-focusing Apple's car initiative, the failure of its homekit product, its failure to sign media companies for its streaming initiative and apple-tv growth are all signs that apple is stumbling around not sure what it wants to do.

Just my $.02, but with Steve Jobs, Apple had a laser focus on what it was going to do, but with Cook they seem to lack focus, will and ability to execute a business plan.

Galacticos

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2016
My take is that Tim Cook is less able to collaborate with other companies that do a better job than Apple can do. Instead we get shoddy junk that doesn't function and spin about how it's changing the world

Galacticos

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2016
Shoddy junk is hyperbole. Apple does not produce shoddy junk, and why would one even buy products that one believes is "shoddy junk"?

I was referring to the software. Its not junk - but it's reliably shoddy whereas not too long ago it was reliable outstanding

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I was referring to the software. Its not junk - but it's reliably shoddy whereas not too long ago it was reliable outstanding
Software, thanks for clarifying. Out of the gate, I can't remember a release in the 6 or 7 years that didn't have some issues. It always seems the last version before the next release is always the best. I'm on 10.2 beta and really liking IOS 10 on my 6s.

Galacticos

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2016
Software, thanks for clarifying. Out of the gate, I can't remember a release in the 6 or 7 years that didn't have some issues. It always seems the last version before the next release is always the best. I'm on 10.2 beta and really liking IOS 10 on my 6s.

This is something of a sticking point on the forum. I definitely acknowledge that all software has its little issues, but in my experience the bugs are more and more moving into the territory of fundamental functioning of apps not just side features. I am SURE to get someone saying that's anecdotal, but I also think I've seen plenty of the same sentiment around the internet

Reactions: 01silver4

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Even a while ago there were plenty of people having all kinds of issues with all kinds of things--these forums are full of that kind of stuff pretty much no matter what version of iOS or macOS/OS X or anything like that we are talking about.

hufflematt

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2015
UK
The problem with Apple is that it has become complacent and is no longer concerned with excellence.

One example: have you ever seen an Apple keynote? They are astonishingly poor. They are delivered by executives who earn more money than most of us will earn in our lifetimes, yet they're amateur hour. Either Cook doesn't know or he doesn't care that the people he's paying are bad. Either way, the clear impression is that he's someone who is interested solely in short-term profit and snorting as much personal cash as he can for as long as he can.

Reactions: imanidiot

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The problem with Apple is that it has become complacent and is no longer concerned with excellence.

One example: have you ever seen an Apple keynote? They are astonishingly poor. They are delivered by executives who earn more money than most of us will earn in our lifetimes, yet they're amateur hour. Either Cook doesn't know or he doesn't care that the people he's paying are bad. Either way, the clear impression is that he's someone who is interested solely in short-term profit and snorting as much personal cash as he can for as long as he can.
Now company announcements are not being exhilarating and "innovative" enough and that is a sign of something/anything?

Reactions: I7guy

Galacticos

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2016

you should watch the end of each one tim does and see how repetitive they are. I get an overwhelming feeling I'm being lied to.

I think the car pool karaoke takes the cake. Either Apple are marketing to kids, or Apple think the adults that buy their products are kids. whats that you say? They just bought it and were doing a bit of promo? Well thanks for the stomach churning corny ad that wouldn't keep a three year olds attention, and what is that promo worth to the company.. how many more viewers will they get for it? It's insignificant.
You can't even trust Tim Cook that he's having fun.

Then there's the fake clapping and 'wooing'. Watch Phil Schiller stumble over his words before 'it's the most powerful MacBook ever made' (can someone please tell Phil that it had ought to be!) in the latest keynote and then the robotic way the audience claps and woos. Of course it's no surprise they plant enthusiasts, but the people that organise for them to be there shouldn't then believe what they're doing is a reflection of the offerings!!

I just really think the board are in their own echo chamber. If it were a choice between an excellent product and $1 less profit or a poor product and that one extra dollar, does anybody doubt what tims choice would be. And if you think that's ok, that's how the board got to where it's at

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

I've been watching the keynotes for a few years only. And I happen to like them and like the management team. I am not emotionally invested in Apple though, to me they are another company that produces products I want to buy and enjoy using.

01silver4

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2014
Florida
you should watch the end of each one tim does and see how repetitive they are. I get an overwhelming feeling I'm being lied to.

I think the car pool karaoke takes the cake. Either Apple are marketing to kids, or Apple think the adults that buy their products are kids. whats that you say? They just bought it and were doing a bit of promo? Well thanks for the stomach churning corny ad that wouldn't keep a three year olds attention, and what is that promo worth to the company.. how many more viewers will they get for it? It's insignificant.
You can't even trust Tim Cook that he's having fun.

Then there's the fake clapping and 'wooing'. Watch Phil Schiller stumble over his words before 'it's the most powerful MacBook ever made' (can someone please tell Phil that it had ought to be!) in the latest keynote and then the robotic way the audience claps and woos. Of course it's no surprise they plant enthusiasts, but the people that organise for them to be there shouldn't then believe what they're doing is a reflection of the offerings!!

I just really think the board are in their own echo chamber. If it were a choice between an excellent product and $1 less profit or a poor product and that one extra dollar, does anybody doubt what tims choice would be. And if you think that's ok, that's how the board got to where it's at

I totally agree phil stumbles because he knows deep down that it a lie and its the same old line every keynote.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
Doesn't matter who is the responsible, spotlight no longer works thanks to Siri and buggy software releases.
Music App sucks.
All is a subscription nowadays and with and every product release instead of happiness we have fear to loose functionality and a regret to install the updates.

Zirel

Suspended
Jul 24, 2015
Just the fact that that "article" calls the Apple Watch "iWatch", demonstrates what it is: trash.

"Uninspiring"? Uninspiring only because nobody else is able to copy. It's bigger than any other swiss brand on the first year (and not by "units") but Rolex, and in the second year, I smell the biggest watch brand.

The technology is not easily imitable and the design impossible to reach to other brands, also, the trust people have in Apple to make a decent quasi-medicinal device is unparalleled to the other Asian companies. Sorry, Android fanboys salivating at this article.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.