Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Jun 15, 2014, 03:06 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Newest MacBook Airs on Sale for Father's Day

BestBuy is offering free shipping and $100 off all the newest MacBook Air models. This brings the base MacBook Air model down to $799 -- the lowest we've seen for the latest generation models. The discount kicks off today, but appears to extend all week.

- 11.6" MacBook Air, 4GB, 128GB SSD: $899 -> $799
- 11.6" MacBook Air, 4GB, 256GB SSD: $1099 -> $999
- 13.3" MacBook Air, 4GB, 128GB SSD: $999 -> $899
- 13.3" MacBook Air, 4GB, 256GB SSD: $1199 -> $1099

The MacBook Air was recently updated in April by Apple, so is considered safe to buy according to our Buyer's Guide. It's unusual for Apple's latest generation models to be discounted so quickly after their launch.

MacRumors is an affiliate partner of Best Buy.

Article Link: Newest MacBook Airs on Sale for Father's Day
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2014, 03:09 AM   #2
mad3inch1na
macrumors 6502a

Considering the 150$ student discount promotion just ended yesterday, this is really kind of a price increase...

Matt
mad3inch1na is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2014, 03:55 AM   #3
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad3inch1na View Post
Considering the 150$ student discount promotion just ended yesterday, this is really kind of a price increase...Matt
But was that $150 off, on all models? And of course, not everybody is eligible for that student discount.
I think $799 for a base 11" is still a pretty attractive price. May just get one to replace an iPad 2.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 04:09 AM   #4
mad3inch1na
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by macs4nw View Post
But was that $150 off, on all models? And of course, not everybody is eligible for that student discount.
I think $799 for a base 11" is still a pretty attractive price. May just get one to replace an iPad 2.
It was 150$ off all MacBooks and iMacs. The 2013 4GB/256GB 11" MBA could be purchased for 799$ yesterday. That is a much more attractive price. And all you need for a student discount is the code, which you can find on this site pretty easily if you ask.
mad3inch1na is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2014, 04:18 AM   #5
macs4nw
macrumors 68020

Quote:
It was 150$ off all MacBooks and iMacs. The 2013 4GB/256GB 11" MBA could be purchased for 799$ yesterday. That is a much more attractive price. And all you need for a student discount is the code, which you can find on this site pretty easily if you ask.
That was indeed a better deal; like getting the 128GB to 256GB SSD upgrade for free. Too bad that's history now.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 04:51 AM   #6
na1577
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Considering the 150$ student discount promotion just ended yesterday, this is really kind of a price increase...

Matt
You sure about that? I just added it in my cart and the student promo code worked fine.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 07:21 AM   #7
OneMike
macrumors 68040

Quote:

Matt
Latest student deal is OFFER VALID 6/8/14 - 7/12/14.

There was a student discount that expired, but the most recent is still available.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 08:06 AM   #8
Snay
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMike View Post
Latest student deal is OFFER VALID 6/8/14 - 7/12/14.

There was a student discount that expired, but the most recent is still available.
What "Latest Student Deal" are you referring to?
And also how do you use a "Student Promo Code?"

All I have ever done to get student pricing, is gone to:
http://store.apple.com/us-hed
Currently the Base 11" Air is $849 via Apple's Education Store
$50 more than Best Buys current Deal
Snay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2014, 09:03 AM   #9
KevinMac
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by na1577 View Post
You sure about that? I just added it in my cart and the student promo code worked fine.
Would you have that code?
Kevinrhartley@gmail.com
KevinMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2014, 09:08 AM   #10
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snay View Post

They appear to be discussing discounts Best Buy, not Apple, will give to students. I only ever buy directly through Apple because I normally change enough from the base models that nobody other than Apple will sell it to me.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 09:13 AM   #11
OneMike
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snay View Post

best buy emails student deals. The current deal expires in July and is $150 in addition to the current sale. $799 sale would be $649
OneMike is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2014, 09:59 AM   #12
1080p
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMike View Post
best buy emails student deals. The current deal expires in July and is $150 in addition to the current sale. $799 sale would be $649
I will also add... that despite the student coupons excluding "open box items" in the fine print, I was able to purchase an open box 2014 MBA a few weeks ago and the student coupon worked. Right now the 11" base MBA is available for $751.99. Apply the student discount coupon and you have a 2014 Macbook Air for $601.99!

Last edited by 1080p; Jun 15, 2014 at 10:06 AM.
1080p is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2014, 10:15 AM   #13
gmanist1000
macrumors 68020

Not a bad sale, but I am waiting for the updated retina version.
gmanist1000 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2014, 11:05 AM   #14
ladymacbeth
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Asking! Grateful for a DM with discount code someone can share. This deal is motivating me to finally replace my early '08 whitebook!

EDIT: All set and order placed. Thanks!

Last edited by ladymacbeth; Jun 15, 2014 at 01:10 PM.
ladymacbeth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2014, 11:25 AM   #15
Parasprite
macrumors 65816

To think I actually purchased a 1st gen MBA at its original price.

To think I purchased a 1st gen MBA at any price...
Old Jun 15, 2014, 01:54 PM   #16
GhostRaider
macrumors member

Why can't Apple price these Macs like this forever? Geez they make these computers at a cheat price and they bump up the sale price a bit too high. Costs of these Macs should already be lower by now. We're in 2014.
GhostRaider is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2014, 02:12 PM   #17
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRaider View Post
Why can't Apple price these Macs like this forever? Geez they make these computers at a cheat price and they bump up the sale price a bit too high. Costs of these Macs should already be lower by now. We're in 2014.
Why should they, apple has always charged *premium prices, they still sell their products so no need to lower their prices!

* Premium to you maybe but over the course of their life Apple computers are maybe even cheaper than PC-Windows.
(Example, no need to reinstall/maintenance-Install (buy) virus software, still has value even after a few years while windows pc's are 'worthless'
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2014, 02:29 PM   #18
GhostRaider
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
Why should they, apple has always charged *premium prices, they still sell their products so no need to lower their prices!

* Premium to you maybe but over the course of their life Apple computers are maybe even cheaper than PC-Windows.
(Example, no need to reinstall/maintenance-Install (buy) virus software, still has value even after a few years while windows pc's are 'worthless'
I mean yes even at that premium prices I still bought a Mac but I'm not sure if having them at high prices means something. If they lowered the price, I'm sure people will become more likely to buy a Mac than a Windows PC, which in turn increases the Mac install base at a good rate. More Apple customers, the better for Apple.

But we can agree that they can, they just don't want to. I'm happy with my MacBook Pro. Best computer I've ever had. The price is what bothers me lol.

I have no problem with Windows PCs since I'm a techie. I use both worlds everyday.
GhostRaider is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2014, 03:03 PM   #19
sigma7
macrumors newbie

Just remembering: 2014 MacBook Airs Demonstrating Slower Flash Storage Speeds Than 2013 Models
sigma7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2014, 03:03 PM   #20
69Mustang
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostRaider View Post
I mean yes even at that premium prices I still bought a Mac but I'm not sure if having them at high prices means something. If they lowered the price, I'm sure people will become more likely to buy a Mac than a Windows PC, which in turn increases the Mac install base at a good rate. More Apple customers, the better for Apple.

But we can agree that they can, they just don't want to. I'm happy with my MacBook Pro. Best computer I've ever had. The price is what bothers me lol.

I have no problem with Windows PCs since I'm a techie. I use both worlds everyday.
I agree with the bolded sentiments from GRider. My MBA is great, but no greater than any of the other PC's or laptops I own. They all do their jobs. I can't complain about the price I paid though. I got mine from a friend who was having a few financial issues and refused to take a loan from me (stupid pride). So he sold me his 2 month old MBA for $600. Still working fine 3 years later. I've got 2 laptops even older that work just as fine. So I gotta disagree with justperry about PC's being worthless. They last just as long and can still do the job they did when I bought them.

Last edited by 69Mustang; Jun 15, 2014 at 06:57 PM.
69Mustang is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2014, 03:19 PM   #21
brownpaw
macrumors member

Too bad they don't have 8GB models of the 11.6"...
brownpaw is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2014, 03:21 PM   #22
tim0409
macrumors member

Hi

I'm not familiar with Best Buy sales but I'm heading over from Scotland on Wednesday to Florida for a holiday and hope the sale is still on as I will be buying an 11" and 13"...

Tim
tim0409 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2014, 03:37 PM   #23
mad3inch1na
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by na1577 View Post
Ah ok, I had an offer that ended on the 14th, but it sounds like BestBuy has them basically all the time.
mad3inch1na is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2014, 05:18 PM   #24
KevinMac
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladymacbeth View Post
Asking! Grateful for a DM with discount code someone can share. This deal is motivating me to finally replace my early '08 whitebook!

EDIT: All set and order placed. Thanks!
Care to share?
KevinMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 02:34 AM   #25
flipu2k
macrumors newbie

Anyone care to share a student discount code?
Thanks!
flipu2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion