Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

echobug

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2014
I have a macbook OS X 10.5.8.
Last night It was plugged in while I was using it. Suddenly the computer shut down. The port where the charger plugs in was hot and the computer would not start up. I let it sit for a few hours and then plugged the charger in and again let it sit to recharge for a few hours. This morning I went to try to start it up, it did turn on but was only at 30% batterie life. And after only a couple minutes the batterie icon indicates it is not receiving a charge. Did I fry something? Is it fixable?

rambo47

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
Denville, NJ
Last night It was plugged in while I was using it. Suddenly the computer shut down. The port where the charger plugs in was hot and the computer would not start up. I let it sit for a few hours and then plugged the charger in and again let it sit to recharge for a few hours. This morning I went to try to start it up, it did turn on but was only at 30% batterie life. And after only a couple minutes the batterie icon indicates it is not receiving a charge. Did I fry something? Is it fixable?

Sounds like it's time to replace your battery. Check it in System Profiler: http://www.trickyways.com/2009/08/how-to-check-macbook-battery-health/
You might also be able to Option-click on the battery icon at the top of the screen and see some info.

You might try removing it and re-seating it to ensure all the contacts are engaged, but that's a longshot. On the upside, it's free and takes about 30 seconds.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland

Try an SMC reset.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.