Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Jun 15, 2014, 07:22 PM   #1
Southern Dad
In Time-Out

Pope Francis a Man of the People

Pope Francis has again proven that he is a man of the people. This week he decided to get ride of the Popemobile. He said that at his age he doesn't have much to lose. He wants an open topped car so that he can meet the people.

This isn't his first controversial decision to do away with the trappings of wealth. He made the decision to live in the guest house rather than the Papal Apartment which is very luxurious.

He chose to wash the feet of inmates and even women rather than priests as the previous popes did.

'At my age I don't have much to lose': Pope Francis ditches the bulletproof Popemobile which has protected pontiffs since 1981

Pope of the People: Pope Francis to live in Vatican guesthouse, not papal apartments

Pope Francis washes feet of young detainees in ritual
Southern Dad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2014, 08:03 PM   #2
Peterkro
macrumors 68020

That's great a real man of the people,I'm sure that makes up for his complicity with the death squads.
Peterkro is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2014, 08:22 PM   #3
Vanilla Ice
macrumors regular

Great read the man is following suit like Jesus.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 08:22 PM   #4
Southern Dad
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterkro View Post
That's great a real man of the people,I'm sure that makes up for his complicity with the death squads.
You mean this...

Pope Francis saved many from Argentina’s death squads - NY Post

I'm not a Catholic nor even a Christian. I'd love to see more world leaders opt to give up the trappings of wealth and live amongst their subjects. And the Pope is a world leader, as Holy See is a country.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 08:25 PM   #5
iBlazed
macrumors 6502

Well if the Catholic church has any hope whatsoever on surviving as we know it for another century, this guy is it...
iBlazed is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2014, 08:43 PM   #6
Peterkro
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Dad View Post
You mean this...

Pope Francis saved many from Argentina’s death squads - NY Post

I'm not a Catholic nor even a Christian. I'd love to see more world leaders opt to give up the trappings of wealth and live amongst their subjects. And the Pope is a world leader, as Holy See is a country.

According to lawyer Myriam Bregman: “Bergoglio’s own statements proved church officials knew from early on that the junta was torturing and killing its citizens”, and yet publicly endorsed the dictators. “The dictatorship could not have operated this way without this key support,”

The seminal work on this is El Silencio by Horacio Verbitsky which shows that Bergoglio along with others were as guilty as sin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bergogliovidela.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	476759  
Peterkro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2014, 09:57 PM   #7
steve knight
macrumors 65816

can you see televangelists or mega church leaders do this?
Old Jun 15, 2014, 10:07 PM   #8
zin
macrumors 6502

I hate to say it but this pope has said a lot of stuff that I agree with. The reason I hate to say it is because it's shameful that a 'theocratic-secretly-elected' pope represents my views more than my own government.
zin is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2014, 10:20 PM   #9
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Pope Francis has again proven that he is a man of the people. This week he decided to get ride of the Popemobile. He said that at his age he doesn't have much to lose. He wants an open topped car so that he can meet the people.

This isn't his first controversial decision to do away with the trappings of wealth. He made the decision to live in the guest house rather than the Papal Apartment which is very luxurious.
I don't agree with the Pope's decision on this. In fact, I consider it a selfish decision. Sure, at his age he can die any minute, but, much better for him to die in his own humble bed than by the hand of some crazy assassin. The repercussions from a successful attack could be bad for everyone.
jnpy!$4g3cwk is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2014, 11:22 PM   #10
Sydde
macrumors 68000

When he has the courage to close down the Vatican, dismiss all the cardinals and turn the Catholic Church into a sort of co-op setup, then I will have some respect for him. Until then, he is just another pope.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 11:23 PM   #11
steve knight
macrumors 65816

when he tells the poorest people that they can use birth control so their children don't have to starve to death.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 05:35 AM   #12
Southern Dad
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnpy!$4g3cwk View Post
I don't agree with the Pope's decision on this. In fact, I consider it a selfish decision. Sure, at his age he can die any minute, but, much better for him to die in his own humble bed than by the hand of some crazy assassin. The repercussions from a successful attack could be bad for everyone.
I agree that another assassination attempt or worse a successful assassination of a Pope would be a huge issue. But I do respect that he wants to be amongst his people not hidden in a "sardine can".
Old Jun 16, 2014, 07:06 AM   #13
dec.
macrumors 6502a

I find it amusing how some people are celebrating a "church" leader for decisions that should be a given, it definitely proves the very bad shape that this "church" really is in. With the modern media world - including open criticism, online discussions etc. - they really don't have any other choice but to adapt to the changes in society if they still want to retain their power (aka "cash in").
Old Jun 16, 2014, 07:43 AM   #14
Southern Dad
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by dec. View Post
I find it amusing how some people are celebrating a "church" leader for decisions that should be a given, it definitely proves the very bad shape that this "church" really is in. With the modern media world - including open criticism, online discussions etc. - they really don't have any other choice but to adapt to the changes in society if they still want to retain their power (aka "cash in").
The Pope isn't just a church leader. The Pope is a head of state. Holy See is a country of its own. I don't believe that many world leaders are willing to move amongst the populace so unprotected.

I'm not a Catholic nor even a Christian. I just find it refreshing to see someone in this position willing to give up all the luxuries that come with the job.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 08:06 AM   #15
Sydde
macrumors 68000

Given that the Catholic Church all but invented martyrdom, it makes just as much sense for him to ride out in the open. Death could be a great career move for him.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 08:32 AM   #16
Southern Dad
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydde View Post
Given that the Catholic Church all but invented martyrdom, it makes just as much sense for him to ride out in the open. Death could be a great career move for him.
I like that… Career Move.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 08:40 AM   #17
dec.
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
The Pope isn't just a church leader. The Pope is a head of state. Holy See is a country of its own. I don't believe that many world leaders are willing to move amongst the populace so unprotected.

I'm not a Catholic nor even a Christian. I just find it refreshing to see someone in this position willing to give up all the luxuries that come with the job.
Most world leaders aren't also the head of an organization that is in dire need of an appropriate humble and human image.

In general I don't disagree on the fact that he's probably the best thing that has happened to the "Catholic Church", another Benedict would have been hilarious.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydde View Post
Considering that we're talking about a person who really is looking forward to spending an eternity in a so called "heaven" with his "god", I don't think that his fear of death would really that big in first place. Technically death is an improvement for those people, think like a family friendly version of "72 virgins" and stuff.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 10:08 AM   #18
takao
macrumors 68040

Send a message via ICQ to takao
Quote:
that entirly depends on the country ... for the US, Russia,UK, Italy, France, China it obviously wouldn't work.

The current austrian President Heinz Fischer walked to his inauguration in 2004 and 2010 from his flat since it is only a few hundred meters away from the parliament.
So in smaller countries it's still possible

on topic:i think it really sends a good sign to not only catholics but also thsoe worse off.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 10:14 AM   #19
Happybunny
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by takao View Post
that entirly depends on the country ... for the US, Russia,UK, Italy, France, China it obviously wouldn't work.

The current austrian President Heinz Fischer walked to his inauguration in 2004 and 2010 from his flat since it is only a few hundred meters away from the parliament.
So in smaller countries it's still possible

on topic:i think it really sends a good sign to not only catholics but also thsoe worse off.
Mark Rutte of the Netherlands is also in the position of being able to move freely.

But our resident bigot Gert Wilders is under 24/7 protection.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 10:32 AM   #20
sim667
macrumors 6502a

Ill just be happy when he can stop church members from noncing kids tbh.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 04:26 PM   #21
skottichan
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to skottichan Send a message via MSN to skottichan
The minute he renounces the Church's stance on marriage equality and the whole "Being gay is a sin" thing, then I might consider him a "Man of the People".
skottichan is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 06:03 PM   #22
hulugu
macrumors 68000

Quote:

I agree. It's a symbol—the Swiss guards are still there with tactical teams—but at least he's making the attempt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skottichan View Post
The minute he renounces the Church's stance on marriage equality and the whole "Being gay is a sin" thing, then I might consider him a "Man of the People".
This may be a bridge too far for this Pope.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues