Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 15, 2014, 07:22 PM   #1
Southern Dad
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Peach State
Pope Francis a Man of the People

Pope Francis has again proven that he is a man of the people. This week he decided to get ride of the Popemobile. He said that at his age he doesn't have much to lose. He wants an open topped car so that he can meet the people.

This isn't his first controversial decision to do away with the trappings of wealth. He made the decision to live in the guest house rather than the Papal Apartment which is very luxurious.

He chose to wash the feet of inmates and even women rather than priests as the previous popes did.

'At my age I don't have much to lose': Pope Francis ditches the bulletproof Popemobile which has protected pontiffs since 1981

Pope of the People: Pope Francis to live in Vatican guesthouse, not papal apartments

Pope Francis washes feet of young detainees in ritual
Southern Dad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2014, 08:03 PM   #2
Peterkro
macrumors 68020
 
Peterkro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Communard de Londres
That's great a real man of the people,I'm sure that makes up for his complicity with the death squads.
Peterkro is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2014, 08:22 PM   #3
Vanilla Ice
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Great read the man is following suit like Jesus.
__________________
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Vanilla Ice is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2014, 08:22 PM   #4
Southern Dad
Thread Starter
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Peach State
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterkro View Post
That's great a real man of the people,I'm sure that makes up for his complicity with the death squads.
You mean this...

Pope Francis saved many from Argentina’s death squads - NY Post

I'm not a Catholic nor even a Christian. I'd love to see more world leaders opt to give up the trappings of wealth and live amongst their subjects. And the Pope is a world leader, as Holy See is a country.
Southern Dad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2014, 08:25 PM   #5
iBlazed
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Home of Gov. Chris Crispy
Well if the Catholic church has any hope whatsoever on surviving as we know it for another century, this guy is it...
iBlazed is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2014, 08:43 PM   #6
Peterkro
macrumors 68020
 
Peterkro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Communard de Londres
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Dad View Post
You mean this...

Pope Francis saved many from Argentina’s death squads - NY Post

I'm not a Catholic nor even a Christian. I'd love to see more world leaders opt to give up the trappings of wealth and live amongst their subjects. And the Pope is a world leader, as Holy See is a country.

According to lawyer Myriam Bregman: “Bergoglio’s own statements proved church officials knew from early on that the junta was torturing and killing its citizens”, and yet publicly endorsed the dictators. “The dictatorship could not have operated this way without this key support,”

The seminal work on this is El Silencio by Horacio Verbitsky which shows that Bergoglio along with others were as guilty as sin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bergogliovidela.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	476759  
Peterkro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2014, 09:57 PM   #7
steve knight
macrumors 65816
 
steve knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
can you see televangelists or mega church leaders do this?
__________________
CNCrouting.biz
steve knight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2014, 10:07 PM   #8
zin
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: United Kingdom
I hate to say it but this pope has said a lot of stuff that I agree with. The reason I hate to say it is because it's shameful that a 'theocratic-secretly-elected' pope represents my views more than my own government.
zin is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2014, 10:20 PM   #9
jnpy!$4g3cwk
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Dad View Post
Pope Francis has again proven that he is a man of the people. This week he decided to get ride of the Popemobile. He said that at his age he doesn't have much to lose. He wants an open topped car so that he can meet the people.

This isn't his first controversial decision to do away with the trappings of wealth. He made the decision to live in the guest house rather than the Papal Apartment which is very luxurious.
I don't agree with the Pope's decision on this. In fact, I consider it a selfish decision. Sure, at his age he can die any minute, but, much better for him to die in his own humble bed than by the hand of some crazy assassin. The repercussions from a successful attack could be bad for everyone.
jnpy!$4g3cwk is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2014, 11:22 PM   #10
Sydde
macrumors 68000
 
Sydde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
When he has the courage to close down the Vatican, dismiss all the cardinals and turn the Catholic Church into a sort of co-op setup, then I will have some respect for him. Until then, he is just another pope.
__________________
You got to be a spirit. You can't be no ghost.
Sydde is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2014, 11:23 PM   #11
steve knight
macrumors 65816
 
steve knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
when he tells the poorest people that they can use birth control so their children don't have to starve to death.
__________________
CNCrouting.biz
steve knight is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 05:35 AM   #12
Southern Dad
Thread Starter
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Peach State
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnpy!$4g3cwk View Post
I don't agree with the Pope's decision on this. In fact, I consider it a selfish decision. Sure, at his age he can die any minute, but, much better for him to die in his own humble bed than by the hand of some crazy assassin. The repercussions from a successful attack could be bad for everyone.
I agree that another assassination attempt or worse a successful assassination of a Pope would be a huge issue. But I do respect that he wants to be amongst his people not hidden in a "sardine can".
Southern Dad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 07:06 AM   #13
dec.
macrumors 6502a
 
dec.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto
I find it amusing how some people are celebrating a "church" leader for decisions that should be a given, it definitely proves the very bad shape that this "church" really is in. With the modern media world - including open criticism, online discussions etc. - they really don't have any other choice but to adapt to the changes in society if they still want to retain their power (aka "cash in").
__________________
Apple/Win/Linux stuff
dec. is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 07:43 AM   #14
Southern Dad
Thread Starter
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Peach State
Quote:
Originally Posted by dec. View Post
I find it amusing how some people are celebrating a "church" leader for decisions that should be a given, it definitely proves the very bad shape that this "church" really is in. With the modern media world - including open criticism, online discussions etc. - they really don't have any other choice but to adapt to the changes in society if they still want to retain their power (aka "cash in").
The Pope isn't just a church leader. The Pope is a head of state. Holy See is a country of its own. I don't believe that many world leaders are willing to move amongst the populace so unprotected.

I'm not a Catholic nor even a Christian. I just find it refreshing to see someone in this position willing to give up all the luxuries that come with the job.
Southern Dad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 08:06 AM   #15
Sydde
macrumors 68000
 
Sydde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Given that the Catholic Church all but invented martyrdom, it makes just as much sense for him to ride out in the open. Death could be a great career move for him.
__________________
You got to be a spirit. You can't be no ghost.
Sydde is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 08:32 AM   #16
Southern Dad
Thread Starter
In Time-Out
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: The Peach State
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydde View Post
Given that the Catholic Church all but invented martyrdom, it makes just as much sense for him to ride out in the open. Death could be a great career move for him.
I like that… Career Move.
Southern Dad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 08:40 AM   #17
dec.
macrumors 6502a
 
dec.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Dad View Post
The Pope isn't just a church leader. The Pope is a head of state. Holy See is a country of its own. I don't believe that many world leaders are willing to move amongst the populace so unprotected.

I'm not a Catholic nor even a Christian. I just find it refreshing to see someone in this position willing to give up all the luxuries that come with the job.
Most world leaders aren't also the head of an organization that is in dire need of an appropriate humble and human image.

In general I don't disagree on the fact that he's probably the best thing that has happened to the "Catholic Church", another Benedict would have been hilarious.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydde View Post
Given that the Catholic Church all but invented martyrdom, it makes just as much sense for him to ride out in the open. Death could be a great career move for him.
Considering that we're talking about a person who really is looking forward to spending an eternity in a so called "heaven" with his "god", I don't think that his fear of death would really that big in first place. Technically death is an improvement for those people, think like a family friendly version of "72 virgins" and stuff.
__________________
Apple/Win/Linux stuff
dec. is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 10:08 AM   #18
takao
macrumors 68040
 
takao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Dornbirn/Innsbruck (Austria)
Send a message via ICQ to takao
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Dad View Post
The Pope isn't just a church leader. The Pope is a head of state. Holy See is a country of its own. I don't believe that many world leaders are willing to move amongst the populace so unprotected.
that entirly depends on the country ... for the US, Russia,UK, Italy, France, China it obviously wouldn't work.

The current austrian President Heinz Fischer walked to his inauguration in 2004 and 2010 from his flat since it is only a few hundred meters away from the parliament.
So in smaller countries it's still possible

on topic:i think it really sends a good sign to not only catholics but also thsoe worse off.
__________________
Support Wikileaks
takao is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 10:14 AM   #19
Happybunny
macrumors 65816
 
Happybunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: 's-Hertogenbosch Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by takao View Post
that entirly depends on the country ... for the US, Russia,UK, Italy, France, China it obviously wouldn't work.

The current austrian President Heinz Fischer walked to his inauguration in 2004 and 2010 from his flat since it is only a few hundred meters away from the parliament.
So in smaller countries it's still possible

on topic:i think it really sends a good sign to not only catholics but also thsoe worse off.
Mark Rutte of the Netherlands is also in the position of being able to move freely.

But our resident bigot Gert Wilders is under 24/7 protection.
__________________
'You cannot undo history, but you can learn from it'
Happybunny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 10:32 AM   #20
sim667
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Ill just be happy when he can stop church members from noncing kids tbh.
__________________
Mac Pro, Macbook Pro, G4 Powerbook, iPad 4, iPhone 5, 2X TV, Nikon D800, ACSP Trained - Photography and Mac tech
Music and UK festival Blog
sim667 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 04:26 PM   #21
skottichan
macrumors 6502a
 
skottichan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Columbus, OH
Send a message via AIM to skottichan Send a message via MSN to skottichan
The minute he renounces the Church's stance on marriage equality and the whole "Being gay is a sin" thing, then I might consider him a "Man of the People".
skottichan is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 06:03 PM   #22
hulugu
macrumors 68000
 
hulugu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: the faraway towns
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Dad View Post
The Pope isn't just a church leader. The Pope is a head of state. Holy See is a country of its own. I don't believe that many world leaders are willing to move amongst the populace so unprotected.

I'm not a Catholic nor even a Christian. I just find it refreshing to see someone in this position willing to give up all the luxuries that come with the job.
I agree. It's a symbol—the Swiss guards are still there with tactical teams—but at least he's making the attempt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skottichan View Post
The minute he renounces the Church's stance on marriage equality and the whole "Being gay is a sin" thing, then I might consider him a "Man of the People".
This may be a bridge too far for this Pope.
__________________
I look like a soldier; I feel like a thief
hulugu is offline   2 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pope Francis calls abortion an ‘abominable crime’ jkcerda Politics, Religion, Social Issues 104 Apr 17, 2014 01:54 AM
Florida Man Cites SYG and Bush Doctrine- Shot 3 People rdowns Politics, Religion, Social Issues 24 Sep 8, 2013 09:47 AM
Pope Francis: Atheists in Heaven Michael Goff Politics, Religion, Social Issues 52 May 27, 2013 07:39 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:11 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC