Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jun 15, 2014, 11:06 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

'Coin Pocket' Becomes First Bitcoin Wallet App on iOS After App Store Policy Change

Earlier this month, Apple updated its App Store review guidelines to allow for "approved" virtual currencies in apps. Now, Coindesk (via The Next Web) reports that Bitcoin wallet app Coin Pocket has launched in the App Store, becoming the first app on iOS that allows users to send and receive the virtual currency.

Bitcoin wallet app Coin Pocket
In addition to Coin Pocket, gift card purchasing app eGifter has also received an update to now accept Bitcoin as a form of payment. Earlier this month, betting app Betcoin also appeared on the App Store with in-app Bitcoin spending capabilities. Its developer, Omri Cohen, noted that the app was an experiment to test what Apple would allow ahead of the policy change on virtual currencies in apps.

Prior to its policy change, Apple displayed past tendencies to remove and deny apps that promoted virtual currencies, notably asking the developers behind private messaging app Gliph to remove the app's Bitcoin sending capabilities. With the launch of Coin Pocket however, it is now likely that users will be seeing many more Bitcoin-related apps in the App Store provided they follow Apple's guidelines.

Coin Pocket [Direct Link], eGifter [Direct Link], and Betcoin [Direct Link] are all free apps for iOS devices and can be downloaded through the App Store.

Article Link: 'Coin Pocket' Becomes First Bitcoin Wallet App on iOS After App Store Policy Change
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2014, 11:08 PM   #2
VanillaCracker
macrumors 65816

Bitcoin is the way of the future, so I'm glad they changed their mind about accepting it. Not gonna lie, it was definitely pretty sketch starting out though
VanillaCracker is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2014, 11:08 PM   #3
Z400Racer37
macrumors 6502

YES!!!!!!!! Steve, I swear I will never have impure thoughts of switching to Android again.
Z400Racer37 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2014, 11:09 PM   #4
-LikesMac-
macrumors 6502

Wow

The state of Bitcoin and its acceptance has changed quite quickly.

13'' MBP, 2.7GHz i7, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, HD3000
-LikesMac- is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2014, 11:11 PM   #5
Di4mondz
macrumors member

Finally, there's an app for that.
Di4mondz is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2014, 11:12 PM   #6
nagromme
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaCracker View Post
Bitcoin is the way of the future, so I'm glad they changed their mind about accepting it. Not gonna lie, it was definitely pretty sketch starting out though
Some kind of virtual currencie(s) are the way of the future... not so sure about Bitcoin! Its ultimate importance will be historical I expect. It will pave the way. (And it's wasteful of power, too--an interesting but not elegant long-term solution.)
nagromme is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2014, 11:13 PM   #7
sprezz
macrumors member

Amazed how fast the app was available... Less than a week of dev time? Or was it pre-developed, hoping for Apple to chamge their policy?
sprezz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2014, 11:16 PM   #8
Enabledobject
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by -LikesMac- View Post
The state of Bitcoin and its acceptance has changed quite quickly.
Which is strange, considering what happened with Mt. Gox.
Unless you're a drug dealer or something, I don't get it.
Enabledobject is online now   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2014, 11:22 PM   #9
fun173
macrumors Demi-God

I actually got my Bitcoin app (link in sig ) approved a few days ago after a few previous rejections. not sure if they had to do with the anti-bitcoin stance or not however I'm just psyched it's in the store finally!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enabledobject View Post
Little fun fact for everyone, Mt.Gox was initally developed as an online trading platform for magic the gathering cards and the name represents that. Magic The. Gathering Online Xexchange
Old Jun 15, 2014, 11:34 PM   #10
cclloyd
macrumors 68000

This comes right after Expedia, another big company, started accepting Bitcoins. Crypto is the future, especially if other big companies continue to accept it.
cclloyd is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2014, 11:54 PM   #11
liavman
macrumors 6502

fun173, may be your guide will explain this, but if I want to transfer money between Canada and U.S. can I use this app? Here is the scenario.

My friend in Canada has a U.S. Dollar account. But they do not allow writing U.S. dollar checks for whatever reason. If he needs to send me, say, $1000.00, can he just send me the equivalent bitcoin by email which I can then sell and deposit the proceeds in my bank account. I am not even sure how I will go about doing that. Will applications like Coin Pocket help me with this specific use case?
liavman is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 12:04 AM   #12
Yvan256
macrumors 601

If anyone want to try out crypto-currencies for free

Check out the links in my signature. I get bonuses if you register with the links with my referral number in them.

Bitcoin's value started at under a dollar. About a year ago it was worth around 80$USD. It once went over 1200$USD.

So yes, the value you can get from those links is small today, but in the future, who knows.
Yvan256 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 12:08 AM   #13
fun173
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by liavman View Post
fun173, may be your guide will explain this, but if I want to transfer money between Canada and U.S. can I use this app? Here is the scenario.

My friend in Canada has a U.S. Dollar account. But they do not allow writing U.S. dollar checks for whatever reason. If he needs to send me, say, $1000.00, can he just send me the equivalent bitcoin by email which I can then sell and deposit the proceeds in my bank account. I am not even sure how I will go about doing that. Will applications like Coin Pocket help me with this specific use case?

If you are in the U.S. go to coinbase (An excellent Bitcoin exchange based out of San Francisco) and register an account. You will sign up and connect your bank account. Coinbase will provide you with a wallet address, where your friend would send the $1k worth of Bitcoins. (about 1.68 Bitcoins per the current coinbase price.) Once you have received the Bitcoins, you can sell them via Coinbase, wait a few days and the money will be deposited in your bank account, sans a small fee taken by coinbase for handling the transaction. You could also sell them locally for cash through a website like localbitcoins. However this poses the same risk as any in person high value transaction would. Whatever you do make sure to pay/declare the appropriate taxes
Old Jun 16, 2014, 12:17 AM   #14
NY Guitarist
macrumors 6502

Makes money laundering even easier!
NY Guitarist is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 01:44 AM   #15
CFreymarc
macrumors 68020

So who in the Federal Reserve left the Apple Board of Directors?

The battle of the BitCoin wallet apps start!
CFreymarc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 02:06 AM   #16
SHNXX
macrumors 6502

ah interesting development.
SHNXX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 02:10 AM   #17
ellsworth
macrumors 6502a

After all that I've heard that's been going on with bitcoins, I still don't get the hype but I'm glad people are excited about it. It's going to take awhile for any new form of currency/virtual money to reach the masses but I'm sure it will eventually. good stuff.
ellsworth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 02:10 AM   #18
the8thark
macrumors 68040

When has rushing to be first ever produced quality?
That's right . . . it has not. So we know what Bitcoin apps to avoid. All the ones mentioned in this article.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 02:37 AM   #19
cclloyd
macrumors 68000

I'm now disappointed. Me, sitting here on 7.0.4 jailbroken, and it requires iOS 7.1. AM VERY DISAPPOINT!
cclloyd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 02:41 AM   #20
SolarShane
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z400Racer37 View Post
YES!!!!!!!! Steve, I swear I will never have impure thoughts of switching to Android again.
Once those bigger iPhones launch with iOS 8, it's Job's "Thermonuclear War" on Android.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post
Some kind of virtual currencie(s) are the way of the future... not so sure about Bitcoin! Its ultimate importance will be historical I expect. It will pave the way. (And it's wasteful of power, too--an interesting but not elegant long-term solution.)
I believe that too. While Bitcoin may not be the permanent one, crypto is the future of money. I like people like you because your group just don't straight up bash crypto claiming it's a dark currency. (Yeah, like their beloved cash isn't?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enabledobject View Post
Basically, the main thing about Bitcoin: Zero risk. Once you sell something, the asshat buyer can't go complaining to the credit card company claiming that he/she didn't get the item. This happens A LOT on eBay. With Bitcoin, there is no risk of chargebacks, and there is also a very low fee compared to PayPal (ScamPal) and Credit Cards. Meaning, one the buyer pays for something, they can't complain and get the item + their cash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Guitarist View Post
Makes money laundering even easier!

Each Bitcoin transaction is traceable, Cash is not traceable..... I wonder which one money launderers would choose. Anonymous vs semi-anonymous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
When has rushing to be first ever produced quality?
That's right . . . it has not. So we know what Bitcoin apps to avoid. All the ones mentioned in this article.
Yeah, I know. This is a crapp in regards of quality. Hopefully someone makes one that takes full advantage of iOS.
SolarShane is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 03:15 AM   #21
MacSince1990
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprezz View Post
Amazed how fast the app was available... Less than a week of dev time? Or was it pre-developed, hoping for Apple to chamge their policy?
They obviously used Swift

Anyone else feel stupid for not immediately buying bitcoin after the announcement? I rushed to check the price and it hadn't moved. Then the next few days it went up like 80% -_-
Old Jun 16, 2014, 03:18 AM   #22
Parasprite
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarShane View Post
Basically, the main thing about Bitcoin: Zero risk.
There's always risk, please don't delude yourself for your own sake.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 03:35 AM   #23
SuspiciousWink
macrumors newbie

Great to hear but this article isn't accurate. CoinJar, an Australian exchange and wallet service, had their app in the store the day after the policy changed.
SuspiciousWink is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 03:49 AM   #24
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaCracker View Post
Around where I live, people have received blackmail letters. Either pay some significant amount of money in bitcoin, or schools / neighbours etc. will be "informed" that you are a pedophile. Which in some areas of England, where even pediatricians have become victims of clueless mob attacks, is quite a nasty threat. Yes, untraceable money is a great idea.
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 04:07 AM   #25
sprezz
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun173 View Post
If you are in the U.S. go to coinbase (An excellent Bitcoin exchange based out of San Francisco) and register an account. You will sign up and connect your bank account. Coinbase will provide you with a wallet address, where your friend would send the $1k worth of Bitcoins. (about 1.68 Bitcoins per the current coinbase price.) Once you have received the Bitcoins, you can sell them via Coinbase, wait a few days and the money will be deposited in your bank account, sans a small fee taken by coinbase for handling the transaction. You could also sell them locally for cash through a website like localbitcoins. However this poses the same risk as any in person high value transaction would. Whatever you do make sure to pay/declare the appropriate taxes
and how is this easier than just sending money from one bank to another using the IBAN? it's basically a long number that identifies the account, just like a wallet hash address...

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion