Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Jun 16, 2014, 12:06 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

MacBook Airs as Low as $649 With Best Buy EDU Deals

Best Buy is offering a $100 discount on all of the newest 2014 MacBook Air models, bringing the entry-level 11-inch model down to $799.

Best Buy is also offering a second deal for students with a valid .EDU email address that gives $150 off any Mac, and these two deals can be combined, cutting prices to the absolute lowest we've seen.

- 11.6" MacBook Air, 4GB, 128GB SSD: $899 -> $799 -> $649
- 11.6" MacBook Air, 4GB, 256GB SSD: $1099 -> $999 -> $849
- 13.3" MacBook Air, 4GB, 128GB SSD: $999 -> $899 -> $749
- 13.3" MacBook Air, 4GB, 256GB SSD: $1199 -> $1099 -> $949

Apple's MacBook Air was last updated in April, and is considered safe to buy in our Buyer's Guide. This is a significant discount on recently released MacBook Air computers, and one of the best deals we've seen. The combined deal will last until June 21, 2014, while the $150 off deal for students lasts until July 12, 2014.

Best Buy is also offering students $50 off the iPad Air and the Retina iPad mini.

MacRumors is an affiliate partner of Best Buy.

Article Link: MacBook Airs as Low as $649 With Best Buy EDU Deals
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 12:15 PM   #2
PJL500
macrumors member

4 gb ram?

RAM is not upgradable on these machines. A buyer will be stuck with 4 GB. There is speculation that Yosemite may not perform well on only 4 GB.
PJL500 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 12:21 PM   #3
Yvan256
macrumors 601

Okay, at that price, I'd probably buy a MacBook Air instead of a Mac mini. But it has to have at least 8GB of RAM.

I wish Apple would stop being so greedy with the RAM in their computers, especially since it can't be upgraded in a lot of them.
Yvan256 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 12:21 PM   #4
lewisd25
macrumors 6502

I would buy one just to flip it.
lewisd25 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 12:23 PM   #5
MartinAppleGuy
macrumors 68000

Why can't Apple just sell it this low so the rest of the world can get such great prices.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 12:25 PM   #6
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinAppleGuy View Post
Why can't Apple just sell it this low so the rest of the world can get such great prices.
Bold: Apple stuff is normally cheaper in Hong Kong!
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 12:27 PM   #7
Menel
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJL500 View Post
RAM is not upgradable on these machines. A buyer will be stuck with 4 GB. There is speculation that Yosemite may not perform well on only 4 GB.
Doesn't do that much heavier.

Only representation for judging anything is a pre-beta developer preview... which basically means squat for performance.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 12:28 PM   #8
cmal1
macrumors newbie

Quote:
dude, no there's not? Yosemite performs excellently on a mid-2010 white macbook with 4gb...
cmal1 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 12:28 PM   #9
MartinAppleGuy
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
Bold: Apple stuff is normally cheaper in Hong Kong!
I do find it very unfair when a product is constantly cheaper in another country by a long shot (this deal works out to £440!). I gives the impression that not everyone is equal and Apple feel that the US is better that everyone else.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 12:31 PM   #10
Riot Nrrrd
macrumors regular

Send a message via ICQ to Riot Nrrrd Send a message via AIM to Riot Nrrrd
4 GB? No deal. Even 8 GB is too small these days!
iPad Air [64 GB]
Riot Nrrrd is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 12:32 PM   #11
MartinAppleGuy
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Nrrrd View Post
4 GB? No deal. Even 8 GB is too small these days!
No.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 12:32 PM   #12
TheRealTVGuy
macrumors regular

Quote:
I do find it very unfair when a product is constantly cheaper in another country by a long shot (this deal works out to £440!). I gives the impression that not everyone is equal and Apple feel that the US is better that everyone else.
Since we bailed everyone else out during WWII, we are!

;-)
TheRealTVGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 12:33 PM   #13
Cuban Missles
macrumors 6502a

Awesome price! Even with a potential for new ones to be anounced, parents that were planning to get a laptop for their kids for next semester should look at this hard.

For those outside the US, now is a perfect time to come and visit on Holiday
Old Jun 16, 2014, 12:41 PM   #14
P4ulypops
macrumors newbie

Just out of interest

I'm a UK apple fan, and I would so take up this deal if we had it in the UK.

But what I would is to read this as "We need to shift stock / reduce price, because our shelves are soon going to have a Retina MBA."

I know they only just released the latest model, but it seems inevitable that a MBA-R is going to happen at somepoint. I guess the only issue is that they need to equal the battery life and performance, in such a tiny space, but they managed to do that on all their other Retina lines. Maybe when Intel's new processors come out, it'll happen.

But out of interest, would there be any disadavantage to buying a foragain machine?

Last edited by P4ulypops; Jun 16, 2014 at 12:41 PM. Reason: adding a point
P4ulypops is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 12:45 PM   #15
nagromme
macrumors G5

Quote:
There is MORE than "speculation" that I run a business with heavy Photoshop and 3D use on just 2GB (until this week, anyway). I hit the SSD more often than I would with 4 or 8, but the SSD is fast and the machine never feels slow, and never gets in the way of my work. I check the memory meter in Activity Monitor often (I actually put it in the dock icon for a few weeks) and even with my usual half-dozen apps running (Safari, Photoshop, Mail and various utils) I usually see a little Free memory.

More would be better! I won't deny it. Some apps could take more, especially if I were doing professional print or video work (I'm doing web work). So I got 16GB this time (tower).

But 4GB isn't enough? True for certain uses by certain people, but it's not a blanket statement you can make. 4GB is MORE than enough for many people. It's room to spare for the future, in fact.

Don't fall into the trap of looking at spec numbers and repeating old pre-SSD assumptions--look instead at what the machine does for people. In my case, 2GB pays me a salary and plays games, and I got more RAM on my new Mac "on principle" rather than for dire need. (Upgraded it from 12 to 16.)
nagromme is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 12:52 PM   #16
goobot
macrumors 601

Quote:
It runs on machines with 2 gigs of RAM, so pretty sure 4 is fine.
goobot is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 12:54 PM   #17
mgipe
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Don't forget to subtract your VAT and import duties before comparing to US pre-tax prices. Apple doesn't receive any of your local taxes.
mgipe is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 01:03 PM   #18
Redbeard25
macrumors regular

Oh Apple, just come out with an updated Mini, PLEASE.

http://www.everymac.com/ultimate-mac...=MacBookAir024

The 2012 i7 minis are still better from a processor standpoint.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 01:06 PM   #19
captain cadet
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by P4ulypops View Post
I'm a UK apple fan, and I would so take up this deal if we had it in the UK.

But what I would is to read this as "We need to shift stock / reduce price, because our shelves are soon going to have a Retina MBA."

I know they only just released the latest model, but it seems inevitable that a MBA-R is going to happen at somepoint. I guess the only issue is that they need to equal the battery life and performance, in such a tiny space, but they managed to do that on all their other Retina lines. Maybe when Intel's new processors come out, it'll happen.

But out of interest, would there be any disadavantage to buying a foragain machine?
Some of the keyboard keys are slightly different, wrong power pack and no warranty.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 01:14 PM   #20
rmatthewware
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Nope, many factors affect pricing in other countries.

Economies of scale (larger customer base in US vs UK).
Shipping costs.
VAT.
Sales tax (in the US, sales tax isn't figured into the advertised price).
Currency conversion (Dollar vs pound vs euro, etc., varies daily, but Apple's price does not. So Apple has to charge a price that considers the fact that the value of the local currency will vary day by day, along with profit).
Local supply and demand (if you're willing to pay for it, they can charge for it).
Cost of advertising in local country.
Warranty requirements (consumer laws in the EU require warranty rights not required in the US, making European products more expensive).
Labor laws (for example, Apple employees in Australia negotiated a 16% base pay increase; that increase may affect local product price).
Local competition (less competition means higher prices, as long as demand remains high).
Legal fees (Each country has different roadblocks when it comes to doing business there. As a foreign company, Apple has to negotiate national and local requirements in terms of establishing itself as a business. In Europe, Apple has to deal with both local and national laws, as well as the EU).
rmatthewware is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 01:18 PM   #21
OriginalMacRat
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmatthewware View Post
Nope, many factors affect pricing in other countries.
You forgot about the music tax. Many countries put a tax on any product that can be used to store copyrighted material like CDs, DVDs, and devices that can store music files.
OriginalMacRat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 01:50 PM   #22
tim0409
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuban Missles View Post
Awesome price! Even with a potential for new ones to be anounced, parents that were planning to get a laptop for their kids for next semester should look at this hard.

For those outside the US, now is a perfect time to come and visit on Holiday

I fly over from Scotland on Wednesday :-) I work for a local/authority school here in Scotland - I don't suppose I qualify for the EDU discount.....?
tim0409 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 01:52 PM   #23
OneMike
macrumors 68040

On one hand I want to take this deal, but I can't settle with the 4GB.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 01:56 PM   #24
deputy_doofy
macrumors 65816

F it. I went with it. I have a soon-to-be 1st grader and he has already had "computer" homework in kindergarten. He is *NOT* using my MBP. Way too expensive for wet, dirty fingers. Yeah, nope.
Old Jun 16, 2014, 02:22 PM   #25
MartinAppleGuy
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgipe View Post
Don't forget to subtract your VAT and import duties before comparing to US pre-tax prices. Apple doesn't receive any of your local taxes.
I am talking about the discounts though. If they can do it, then why can't we?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealTVGuy View Post
Since we bailed everyone else out during WWII, we are!

;-)
More like you elders did. Now Americans... oh I better not start

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion