Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jun 16, 2014, 02:38 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
G-Speed Studio 24TB RAID Storage Solution Takes on Mac Pro Design




G-Technology has introduced the new G-Speed Studio (via iLounge), a 4-bay Thunderbolt 2 storage solution configurable in RAID 0,1, 5, and 10. Taking strong design cues from Apple's 2013 Mac Pro, the revamped G-Speed Studio features a shiny black enclosure that fits right in on a desktop also sporting a Mac Pro.

Wider than the Mac Pro, the G-Speed Studio also features smart fan technology and a plug-and-play Mac setup. With dual Thunderbolt 2 ports that can be daisy-chained, it has transfer rates of up to 700MB/second, supports up to 24TB of storage, and includes four 7200 RPM Sata III Enterprise Class hard drives.
Quote:
G-SPEED Studio (RAID)- A hardware RAID 4-Bay Thunderbolt 2 storage solution. Configurable in RAID 0, 1, 5, and 10, G-SPEED Studio features Thunderbolt 2 technology for ultimate speed. With sustained transfer rates of up to 700MB/sec and the ability to daisy-chain via dual Thunderbolt 2 ports, this RAID solution ships with Enterprise Class Hard Drives and is designed to support multistream compressed 4K and 2K workflows.
The 12TB G-Speed Studio is available from the G-Technology website for $2,199.95, while the 16TB and 24TB can be purchased for $2,699.95 and $3,599.95, respectively.

Article Link: G-Speed Studio 24TB RAID Storage Solution Takes on Mac Pro Design
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 02:42 PM   #2
timshundo
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA
Send a message via AIM to timshundo
The music in that video is so annoying. All the music in these weird "tech/startup/product intro" videos are all the same. Is this the new equivalent to that 50's-sounding window browsing music?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZe8Uvf2emw
timshundo is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 02:54 PM   #3
joshwenke
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: San Jose, CA
Send a message via Yahoo to joshwenke Send a message via Skype™ to joshwenke
Let me quick go turn on my Mac Pro... oh crap, I turned on my storage device instead! How stupid am I, couldn't even tell the difference.
joshwenke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 02:55 PM   #4
theFly
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Nearest Pile of Rumors
Seems expensive. Lacie as a 12TB dual drive RAID 0/1 Thunderbolt 2 solution coming out that's $999. Can't see using 4 drives warrants double the cost.

Maybe I'm just missing something.
__________________
theFly
Regurgitating Rumors
theFly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 02:56 PM   #5
barkmonster
macrumors 68020
 
barkmonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Lancashire
The cost is massively unjustified regardless of specs.

You can buy 4 x 4TB Western Digital RED drives for 500 all-in, then add either of the following and still be paying half the price it's likely to cost in : -

+399: - OWC ThunderBay IV.

This would make it 899 in total for a 16Tb system with dual Thunderbolt ports and built-in RAID.

Then if you want to add an extra drive at a later date for redundancy or extra storage there's this: -

+449: - Drobo DRDR5A31 5D (Diskless) 5 Bay Desktop DAS Enclosure.

Not sure how reliable Drobo is because I've read they're garbage.

(I'm accounting for the fact US prices tend to equal UK prices more or less due to exchange rate and 20% VAT and those UK prices are the cheapest I could find with online retailer discounts but even if prices are significantly lower in the states, that just makes the bloated prices of these systems even worse).
__________________
16Gb iPhone 5 2.53Ghz Mac Mini (8Gb, 60Gb Vertex 2) Icy Box IB-328U3SEb with Toshiba DT01ACA300 HDD
Mbox2 LG W2343T Samsung SyncMaster 913n
barkmonster is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 03:02 PM   #6
Iconoclysm
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by theFly View Post
Seems expensive. Lacie as a 12TB dual drive RAID 0/1 Thunderbolt 2 solution coming out that's $999. Can't see using 4 drives warrants double the cost.

Maybe I'm just missing something.
You can't see the advantage of striping/mirroring with parity over without parity? Really?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkmonster View Post
The cost is massively unjustified regardless of specs.

You can buy 4 x 4TB Western Digital RED drives for 500 all-in, then add either of the following and still be paying half the price it's likely to cost in : -

+399: - OWC ThunderBay IV.

This would make it 899 in total for a 16Tb system with dual Thunderbolt ports and built-in RAID.

Then if you want to add an extra drive at a later date for redundancy or extra storage there's this: -

+449: - Drobo DRDR5A31 5D (Diskless) 5 Bay Desktop DAS Enclosure.

Not sure how reliable Drobo is because I've read they're garbage.

(I'm accounting for the fact US prices tend to equal UK prices more or less due to exchange rate and 20% VAT and those UK prices are the cheapest I could find with online retailer discounts but even if prices are significantly lower in the states, that just makes the bloated prices of these systems even worse).
The price is actually on par with a lot of similar products.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshwenke View Post
Let me quick go turn on my Mac Pro... oh crap, I turned on my storage device instead! How stupid am I, couldn't even tell the difference.
The stupid part is you turned them off to begin with.
Iconoclysm is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 03:09 PM   #7
nagromme
macrumors G5
 
nagromme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
If it's black, it's not a match... The Mac Pro is space gray chrome, like the logo or chamfer on an iPhone or iPad. It's a puzzle why Apple makes them look black in their promo pictures.
nagromme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 03:32 PM   #8
Avieshek
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
24TB? ... A few years time and it comes as memory cards
Avieshek is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 03:46 PM   #9
barkmonster
macrumors 68020
 
barkmonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconoclysm View Post
The price is actually on par with a lot of similar products.
Equally over-priced products when there's equally functioning products that can be assembled with drives of your own choice that either meet or exceed the specs of the drives you HAVE to buy with these pre-fitted Thunderbolt RAID systems and pay through the nose for them.
__________________
16Gb iPhone 5 2.53Ghz Mac Mini (8Gb, 60Gb Vertex 2) Icy Box IB-328U3SEb with Toshiba DT01ACA300 HDD
Mbox2 LG W2343T Samsung SyncMaster 913n
barkmonster is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 04:06 PM   #10
MikhailT
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avieshek View Post
24TB? ... A few years time and it comes as memory cards
More like a decade or two. You need something like 4-6nm stacked/3D NANDs to fit 24TB in a small form factor like a memory card or even a 2.5".

It's taking Intel longer and longer (also incredibly more expensive) to shrink their chips, the same will happen to all NAND fabs.

The profit margins they're making off the SSDs are declining each year because they have to spend more of their profits to invest in the next shrink process. Nobody is going to spend $20 billion dollars just to get more capacity in a smaller drive that is still a small market and likely to bankrupt the company in the long run. That's why you'll be seeing more consolidations in the SSD market soon as Sandisk just bought Fusion-iO today, after Seagate just bought SandForce division from LSI.

Expect the SSD market to look like the hard drive market from 5 years ago with 3-4 big companies, like WD, Seagate, Sandisk, and so on.
MikhailT is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 04:12 PM   #11
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020
 
ugahairydawgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkmonster View Post
Equally over-priced products when there's equally functioning products that can be assembled with drives of your own choice that either meet or exceed the specs of the drives you HAVE to buy with these pre-fitted Thunderbolt RAID systems and pay through the nose for them.
You could make that argument all day long with just about anything. You can build your own high end computer for much less than you can purchase a Mac Pro.

Some people don't want to dink around with putting together their own setup and are willing to pay extra to avoid hassle. This product is for those people.
ugahairydawgs is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 04:37 PM   #12
Outrigger
macrumors 68000
 
Outrigger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugahairydawgs View Post
You could make that argument all day long with just about anything. You can build your own high end computer for much less than you can purchase a Mac Pro.

Some people don't want to dink around with putting together their own setup and are willing to pay extra to avoid hassle. This product is for those people.
And those people are generally professionals (make a living off of what they're doing) and compatibility and speed are more important than price, which I bet their employers are paying as these tend to be company property.
__________________
iMac | Intel i7 3.4GHz | 32GB RAM | 1TB Fusion | GTX 680MX
Mini | Intel i5 2.5GHz | 8GB RAM | 750GBSSD | AMD 6630M
rMBP 13 | Intel i5 2.6Ghz | 8GB RAM | 512GB SSD
Outrigger is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 05:18 PM   #13
unplugme71
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2011
I don't understand why someone doesn't pickup a Drobo B800i or Synology iSCSI device?

You mount it on a rack or cabinet and never have to look at it. And it runs similar in price.

I don't want 1 trash can on my desk, never mind 2.
unplugme71 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 05:35 PM   #14
einsteinbqat
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Canada
One reason I believe that it is expensive is because they state that the drives are enterprise-class drives, which usually are more expensive than consumer-class drives. This is aimed at pro users, enterprise/studio use. G-tech makes plenty of consumer drives. Get one of those instead!
einsteinbqat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 05:35 PM   #15
puckhead193
macrumors G3
 
puckhead193's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NY
the nice thing about new new one is that you can replace the drives. I don't think that was possible with the older version.
I wonder how it compares to the Pegasus 2
__________________
nMP - 6 core, D700s, 32 gig, 1 TB, NEC PA272W
20" iMac C2D
17" MBP i7
iPod Touch, 64 GB iPhone 5, 64 GB iPad 3
puckhead193 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 05:40 PM   #16
einsteinbqat
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckhead193 View Post
the nice thing about new new one is that you can replace the drives. I don't think that was possible with the older version.
I wonder how it compares to the Pegasus 2
I bought the previous generation G Speed back in 2011 (the aluminium one) for my business, and it still works great. The drives are easy swappable. You barely hear them working.
einsteinbqat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 05:48 PM   #17
nutmac
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by einsteinbqat View Post
One reason I believe that it is expensive is because they state that the drives are enterprise-class drives, which usually are more expensive than consumer-class drives. This is aimed at pro users, enterprise/studio use. G-tech makes plenty of consumer drives. Get one of those instead!
While enterprise hard disks do cost more, they still don't cost a whole lot. For instance, WDC's 4TB high-end Se enterprise hard disk costs $250 each and Seagate's Enterprise Capacity 6TB costs $450 each.

G-Speed is effectively charging about $1500-1700 for the chassis.
nutmac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 06:07 PM   #18
tevion5
macrumors 6502a
 
tevion5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ireland
I wouldn't mind spending all day in THAT second office!
tevion5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 06:12 PM   #19
snappyfool
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshwenke View Post
Let me quick go turn on my Mac Pro... oh crap, I turned on my storage device instead! How stupid am I, couldn't even tell the difference.
you should write a sitcom lol
snappyfool is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 08:29 PM   #20
jimthing
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: London, UK
These are probably on a par with the Pegasus 2, both in price and performance.

Question then is: what competitive edge do G-Tech have over the Pegasus 2, as they both come with enterprise level disks?**

Answer: not much, except that they attempted to make the G-Tech thing look like a nMacPro.

Yawn. Why even bother. Pegasus can be stored more easily, being square.

(** I have 2x Pegasus 1 R6's and swapped-out the 2TB HDDs for 4TB consumer Hitachi ones in RAID 5, and they work just fine anyway ...the key here being that redundancy isn't my backup solution. Though advice is to use with a Corning 10m optical Tbolt cable in order to store them away in a closet, makes life nice and quiet all 'round!)

________
Should also add that Thunderbolt 3 is in testing, with one making a guess for likely release over the next 12-18 months or so. Hence a lot a cash going down now, when a "bigger better faster stronger" solution soon cometh ...as ever with technology "when does one jump on board", hey!

• 40Gbps with more protocol support, ouch! http://www.macrumors.com/2014/04/21/...ration-details
__________________
MBP 17" 2.93GHz C2D/10.9.x Mav/8GB RAM/256GB SSD Mac Mini 2.6GHz i7 QC/10.9.x Mav/16GB RAM/256GB SSD T.Caps 5th gen/3TB ATV 3
iP6P 128GB/gold/8.x iPad Mini 2 128GB/grey/WiFi+4G/7.x

wiki:Apple

Last edited by jimthing; Jun 16, 2014 at 08:41 PM.
jimthing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 08:35 PM   #21
AndyUnderscoreR
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckhead193 View Post
the nice thing about new new one is that you can replace the drives. I don't think that was possible with the older version...
Isn't the point of a RAID setup that you can replace drives if they fail?
AndyUnderscoreR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 09:10 PM   #22
SoAnyway
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2011
I doubt his second office is really that tidy and well lit.
SoAnyway is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 10:08 PM   #23
brueck
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikhailT View Post
More like a decade or two. You need something like 4-6nm stacked/3D NANDs to fit 24TB in a small form factor like a memory card or even a 2.5".

It's taking Intel longer and longer (also incredibly more expensive) to shrink their chips, the same will happen to all NAND fabs.

The profit margins they're making off the SSDs are declining each year because they have to spend more of their profits to invest in the next shrink process. Nobody is going to spend $20 billion dollars just to get more capacity in a smaller drive that is still a small market and likely to bankrupt the company in the long run. That's why you'll be seeing more consolidations in the SSD market soon as Sandisk just bought Fusion-iO today, after Seagate just bought SandForce division from LSI.

Expect the SSD market to look like the hard drive market from 5 years ago with 3-4 big companies, like WD, Seagate, Sandisk, and so on.

Graphene.
brueck is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 10:22 PM   #24
thewordiz
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Drobo?

Drobo 5D 20TB Bundle with 5 x 4TB Seagate SATA Hard Drives #DRDR5A21-ST4000-5
Our Price: $1,688.00

Yea, that's what I would get. With a Transporter Sync-another $100
thewordiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 10:33 PM   #25
Pakaku
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by timshundo View Post
The music in that video is so annoying. All the music in these weird "tech/startup/product intro" videos are all the same. Is this the new equivalent to that 50's-sounding window browsing music?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZe8Uvf2emw
"Sterile" is the latest fad. And I hate it as much as you do.
__________________
Mac Pro 3.1, Macbook Pro 10.1
Pakaku is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:36 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC