Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MaryRB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2014
I have a 2002 vintage eMac (educational version of the wedge iMac) that has been restored to OS X 10.1.4 but is not connected to the internet.

I found the sequence of updates at this site http://ftp.iinet.net.au/pub/apple/Mac_OS_X/ and burned them to a CD on my newer iMac. But when I insert the CD into the eMac and click on the first file, I am asked to pick a destination folder. None of the options is the System folder or anything that looks like an installation process.

What am I missing about the process? Do I have to connect the eMac to the internet to get these updates to install?

Thanks in advance for any guidance :)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I have a 2002 vintage eMac (educational version of the wedge iMac) that has been restored to OS X 10.1.4 but is not connected to the internet.

I found the sequence of updates at this site http://ftp.iinet.net.au/pub/apple/Mac_OS_X/ and burned them to a CD on my newer iMac. But when I insert the CD into the eMac and click on the first file, I am asked to pick a destination folder. None of the options is the System folder or anything that looks like an installation process.

What am I missing about the process? Do I have to connect the eMac to the internet to get these updates to install?

The DMGs (Disk Images) are compressed to save space. Notice that the filenames end in .bin? That's a compressed file format. It's asking you for a folder because the system needs to know where to uncompress the DMG.

Once it's uncompressed you double click to mount the disk image and then double click on the installer file.

Why go through all the trouble though? Just download the 10.4.11 Combo Updater and be done with it.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
The DMGs (Disk Images) are compressed to save space. Notice that the filenames end in .bin? That's a compressed file format. It's asking you for a folder because the system needs to know where to uncompress the DMG.

Once it's uncompressed you double click to mount the disk image and then double click on the installer file.

Why go through all the trouble though? Just download the 10.4.11 Combo Updater and be done with it.

The OP is running Puma from the sounds of it, not Tiger. This eMac originally shipped with 10.1.4.

MaryRB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2014
Thanks!

Thanks for the responses. I don't think I can go beyond 10.3 on this computer but I will try to save the files and see if they uncompress. If it doesn't work, I'll be back ...

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland

You probably want to upgrade the operating system to a new version. If you want to stay on Puma here is the download to the latest combo update.

MaryRB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2014
It worked!

Thanks again - the first update is installing as I type this, so I have a long but ultimately useful process ahead. I really appreciate the quick and helpful responses!

MaryRB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2014
Oops!

I missed the newest comment when I typed my last response.

I'd like to bring the computer back to the highest level of 10.3 (which I think is as far as it will go.) I was planning to just work my way through the updates posted on the site I listed in my first question. Will that work or do I have to get 10.2 and 10.3 as basic packages before I can apply the updates?

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I missed the newest comment when I typed my last response.

I'd like to bring the computer back to the highest level of 10.3 (which I think is as far as it will go.) I was planning to just work my way through the updates posted on the site I listed in my first question. Will that work or do I have to get 10.2 and 10.3 as basic packages before I can apply the updates?

This computer will go to Tiger 10.4.11 which is still supported with some software like TenFourFox. You will need to get a Tiger disk to install it and then you can update via Software Update to the latest updates.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
do I have to get 10.2 and 10.3 as basic packages before I can apply the updates?

This is correct, you will need a full installer for 10.3. Those are not downloadable from Apple but were sold commercially on disc.

MaryRB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2014
Sigh ...

Again, thanks for the wisdom. Now I'm kicking myself for discarding those earlier versions, which I had on disk. I guess I'll have to decide if it is worth it to me to try to buy them again.

MaryRB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2014
I currently have ...

... only 10.5.6 on disk right now and I know from trying it that my eMac won't run it. I threw out all the other disks as new versions arrived.

I just checked on Amazon: they list a boxed set of 10.3 but it isn't clear if it is for a specific computer. This is much more complicated than I expected (she whined)

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
... only 10.5.6 on disk right now and I know from trying it that my eMac won't run it. I threw out all the other disks as new versions arrived.

I just checked on Amazon: they list a boxed set of 10.3 but it isn't clear if it is for a specific computer. This is much more complicated than I expected (she whined)

I don't understand why you insist on OS X 10.3 Panther as Tiger will run at least as well as Panther on your Mac and have much better software support. Tiger 10.4 is fully supported on your eMac, and there is even a way to get Leopard 10.5.6 on it, but I recommend Tiger. There have been issues with unsupported Leopard installs on early eMacs involving sleep and screen saver lockups.

MaryRB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2014
Not insisting on Panther ...

... I would be happy to install Tiger, I just didn't think it would work. If I can find an original set of Tiger disks, can I install it directly without going through all the interim upgrades from 10.1.5 where I'm currently stuck?

Also, the disk sets I've seen on Amazon and eBay seem to be DVDs. My eMac only has a CD drive. That could be a problem?

As always, thanks for the help. I'm not afraid to try things on my Macs but I don't always understand what I'm doing. I really appreciate the various Apple communities.

Last edited:

reco2011

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2014
... I would be happy to install Tiger, I just didn't think it would work. If I can find an original set of Tiger disks, can I install it directly without going through all the interim upgrades from 10.1.5 where I'm currently stuck?

Also, the disk sets I've seen on Amazon and eBay seem to be DVDs. My eMac only has a CD drive. That could be a problem?

As always, thanks for the help. I'm not afraid to try things on my Macs but I don't always understand what I'm doing. I really appreciate the various Apple communities.
No, you do not need to install the "interim" updates. I use quotes because 10.2 and 10.3 aren't updates but rather new operating systems in and of themselves. You should be able to directly install Tiger. And there are CDs for Tiger as I have a set.

MaryRB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2014
Good to know.

No, you do not need to install the "interim" updates. I use quotes because 10.2 and 10.3 aren't updates but rather new operating systems in and of themselves. You should be able to directly install Tiger. And there are CDs for Tiger as I have a set.

I haven't been able to find Tiger on CD on Amazon or eBay - everything on sale is on DVD. There is a a set of Panther CDs for sale but a previous post urged me to get Tiger.

Did your CDs come with your computer? If not, where did your get them?

reco2011

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2014
I haven't been able to find Tiger on CD on Amazon or eBay - everything on sale is on DVD. Where did you get yours?
I downloaded my using bit torrent. Now before everyone brings up piracy I have a fully licensed DVD.

MaryRB

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2014
Bit torrent?

I downloaded my using bit torrent. Now before everyone brings up piracy I have a fully licensed DVD.

How do I find that? And would my license for the original CDs (which I did have at one time) cover this?

reco2011

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2014
Discussion of piracy is not permitted on MacRumors.

It's not piracy if you have a valid license to use the software. In my case I have a valid license but the media is DVD. I needed it on CD so I went out and downloaded the CD version.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
You have a license for the DVD, not the CD. The license specifies the media type. Thus, invalidating media of the other type.

reco2011

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2014
How do I find that? And would my license for the original CDs (which I did have at one time) cover this?

If you discarded the media then you likely discarded the license and therefore you would not be licensed to use alternate media. I guess technically you'd still be licensed but you would have no means to prove so. Of course having the media doesn't always mean you have a license but usually having the media means you are licensed. I guess it all depends. But in the end the best I could recommend is installing the license which originally shipped with the system. Alternatively you could buy the DVD and download the CD version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.