Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
I am in the market for either a MBA or a Surface Pro 3.

I like the screen on the SP3 much much better but really like the form factor of the MBA more.

I would get the 11inch model and with the new Best Buy pricing and student discount, seems like a great time to get one for $650+tax.

My concerns are the release of a new MBA soon with possible retina as well as battery life living up to the 9 hour mark. (work emails all day, web browsing, youtube videos)

Does Apple do any trade in offers for when a new MBA line comes out for possible flipping if they release a retina one shortly? The never ending tech debate of buy now or something newer in a month after you buy.

I currently have a 2012 late model mac desktop and absolutely love it but the tablet/screen of the SP3 has me intrigued. Help me make a decision MBA owners! :D

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I am in the market for either a MBA or a Surface Pro 3.

I like the screen on the SP3 much much better but really like the form factor of the MBA more.

I would get the 11inch model and with the new Best Buy pricing and student discount, seems like a great time to get one for $650+tax.
the base SP3 is 799 with the education discount. I'm not sure if that helps your decision process.

My concerns are the release of a new MBA soon with possible retina as well as battery life living up to the 9 hour mark. (work emails all day, web browsing, youtube videos)
You'll not see a new MBA until Intel releases the Broadwell chipset which is said to be around the Christmas holiday. That being the case we're many months away from a MBA refresh.

Does Apple do any trade in offers for when a new MBA line comes out for possible flipping if they release a retina one shortly? The never ending tech debate of buy now or something newer in a month after you buy.
Your best bet is to sell it on craigslist - you'll get the most bang for your buck.

I currently have a 2012 late model mac desktop and absolutely love it but the tablet/screen of the SP3 has me intrigued. Help me make a decision MBA owners! :D
The SP3 is great, and with win8 and its DPI scaling I think the 12" display works very well. The downside to me at least on the SP3 is the keyboard, so when you compare a laptop keyboard such as on the MBA and the SP3 - the MBA wins every time.

I think for sheer portability, and flexibility the SP3 wins out. If you want to stay on the OSX platform or like the feel of the laptop over the kickstand - then get the MBA.

Don't forget you have the pen to take notes with with the SP3

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
Great info as I have been reading the numerous comparison topics here. I know MBA are tried and tested.
A little weary of the higher price point sp3 with a woman so processor than the MBA and that price is without the keyboard as well even with the student discount.

The only pro for me right now on the sp3 is Windows os for work and that beautiful screen. MBA wins almost every other category for me but those 2 are pretty big.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The MBA is a great machine no doubt.

I recommend checking out the 11" if you had not already. Make sure the screen size and resolution is workable for you.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
I think that is another decision is the size.

Seems the screen is nicer on the 13 inch vs the 11 so that may be a factor and a much better battery life for work.

This is replacing a recently sold iPad so I want to stay very portable for my constantly moving job.

Beaverman3001

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2010
I've owned multiple 11 and 13in MBAs and definitely prefer the 11. It just makes more sense for something meant to be ultra portable. The best buy deal is a steal, I'm typing on the entry level 11in now for $650 and it is a great little machine. Too bad I'm returning it to get a higher end model!

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
At best buy as we speak.

Going with the 11inch as the 13 is a tad too big for how portable I am.

Will miss the nicer screen and extra battery

IGregory

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2012
but the tablet/screen of the SP3 has me intrigued.

Yep, you're right about SP3. I used it for an hour at the Microsoft Store over the weekend. Its a very nice piece of machinery. The display is incredible. In your position hold off for as long as you can to see what Apple offers.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
No holding off here.

Headed to a work conference and have been without a mobile device outside my phone for 2 weeks. Needed something.

Went with the 11inch as its more mobile for what I need and love the size. I will miss that extra battery life on the 13 but this size won out in the end.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I went from a 13" MBA to an 11" MBA and never looked back. It's a great machine and the battery life is quite good. You should have no problem getting through a 9 hour day as long as you don't have the brightness at full with continuous use (which would give more like 6 hours).

Enjoy the new computer! :)

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
I have the brightness cranked all the way up as I think it gives it the best screen but yea I can see where that will drain pretty fast.

I sat at BB for a good 15-20 minutes deciding between the 11 and 13. In the end I told myself that the 13 has some big pros with battery life and nicer screen but I got rid of my ipad to get a device that was just as portable but gives me more functionality.

If I went 13 I would feel its too big for what I do everyday at work and my mobility so I stuck with the 11.

I have 14 days to try I guess but typing from it now and setting it up, I love it!

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I have the brightness cranked all the way up as I think it gives it the best screen but yea I can see where that will drain pretty fast.

I sat at BB for a good 15-20 minutes deciding between the 11 and 13. In the end I told myself that the 13 has some big pros with battery life and nicer screen but I got rid of my ipad to get a device that was just as portable but gives me more functionality.

If I went 13 I would feel its too big for what I do everyday at work and my mobility so I stuck with the 11.

I have 14 days to try I guess but typing from it now and setting it up, I love it!

Congrats on the new Mac. You will like it a lot. I would ponder the 11 vs. 13 inch argument but use it for a bit to see how it works with what you do. There is a bit more vertical scrolling in web pages and word processing.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Congrats,

Another thing against the SP3 is that if you're going to a conference you don't want an untried piece of a equipment. The MBA is rock solid.

I'm in a similar situation, though I have time. I'm heading to Oracle's open world in September, do I want my rMBP with me or the SP3. For some reason I'm thinking the SP3 is going to be much more portable and better for stuff like that.

I don't travel all that much, but I'm taking trips in September and November and I think both will benefit from the SP3, but its hard letting go of my Mac :D

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
I will just ask within my thread instead of making a new one as I this is my first Mac notebook

-I am already at 86% and I have only used the notebook for only an hour, seems like a fast drain with only minimal browsing and set up
-is there a way to remotely get to my work desktop like using "Remote Desktop Connection" on a Windows PC from the MBA?
-My work email doesnt seem to be syncing after I set up the account as the emails arent coming through

Newbie problems I am sure but any help would be great, thanks!

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
I think that is another decision is the size.

Seems the screen is nicer on the 13 inch vs the 11 so that may be a factor and a much better battery life for work.

This is replacing a recently sold iPad so I want to stay very portable for my constantly moving job.

I tried both models and found that the screen on the 11 was much sharper and easier to read text on. I suppose it could have been a difference of display manufacturer but even on the display models I felt the 11 was easier to look at.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I will just ask within my thread instead of making a new one as I this is my first Mac notebook

-I am already at 86% and I have only used the notebook for only an hour, seems like a fast drain with only minimal browsing and set up
-is there a way to remotely get to my work desktop like using "Remote Desktop Connection" on a Windows PC from the MBA?
-My work email doesnt seem to be syncing after I set up the account as the emails arent coming through

Newbie problems I am sure but any help would be great, thanks!
Congrats! I know that you're not going to be alone in getting in on the Best Buy sale. :)

I use TeamViewer for remotely connecting. It is cross platform and I've been able to connect from my iPad, Surface 2, Windows notebooks and office desktop into my iMac at home. It is capable of connecting in the other direction as well.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
I have used TeamViewer in the past and it has been great.

I had to use Citrix Receiver to get into a VPN/Desktop Remote for my organization so it was a little more in depth but finally figured it out.

Yes, there was a lot of action last night at the BB around 8pm when I went and they were flying off the shelf.

I couldnt pass up a deal like that for a MBA even if it isnt retina as some have waited for. I hope it will hold some resale value and then go from there if I decide to upgrade.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
No holding off here.

Headed to a work conference and have been without a mobile device outside my phone for 2 weeks. Needed something.

Went with the 11inch as its more mobile for what I need and love the size. I will miss that extra battery life on the 13 but this size won out in the end.
I'm hoping to snag a 128GB 11" MBA today. In preparation, I found this that is going to be helpful:

SanDisk Cruzer Fit 64GB USB 2.0 Low Profile Flash Drive

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens

Was the screen at full brightness? Do the math: if the battery dropped to 86% in 60 minutes, the total run time would be 428 minutes (7 hours and 8 minutes). I suggested a run time of 6 hours at full brightness, so that isn't bad. Personally, the only time I feel the need to run the screen at full is when I'm outside on my open porch in the middle of the day.

Also, it has been discussed that you won't get optimal battery life when you first start using a new MBA. With my own usage patterns, I have no problem getting through a 10 to 12 hour day with my 2013 11" MBA. And there have been countless posts here from other forum members with the same experience.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
Well thats good to know and appreciate the feedback though this is my first time visiting this forum and I didnt create a new thread as I kept it in my own for questions.

Does everyone use the standard email app or are others preferred? I connected my work email to the Apple email on the OS and none were coming through even with "automatically" selected and then I tried "every 1 minute" and none were still coming through.

Not sure why I am not getting any emails. Really enjoying the device though and its portability cant be beat. Glad I went 11 vs 13 inch.

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
Well thats good to know and appreciate the feedback though this is my first time visiting this forum and I didnt create a new thread as I kept it in my own for questions.

Does everyone use the standard email app or are others preferred? I connected my work email to the Apple email on the OS and none were coming through even with "automatically" selected and then I tried "every 1 minute" and none were still coming through.

Not sure why I am not getting any emails. Really enjoying the device though and its portability cant be beat. Glad I went 11 vs 13 inch.
Did you ever solve the email issue?

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
Did you ever solve the email issue?

I did not as it became increasingly frustrating to get the alerts and notifications of when a new email came through. Let alone half the time it was not updated with my inbox from work.

I have since changed to the web version of my job's email but frustrating none the less that a simple thing like work email wasnt working that great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.