Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Patrickbates

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2014
I recently learned I could max my Mac mini out at 16 gigs of ram. I bought the recommended brand from the Mac dealer. Went home popped it in and only one stick was showing up. I have a replaced ram before and never had this problem. Thoughts?

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
I recently learned I could max my Mac mini out at 16 gigs of ram. I bought the recommended brand from the Mac dealer. Went home popped it in and only one stick was showing up. I have a replaced ram before and never had this problem. Thoughts?

Double checkout is seated right especially the stick closest to the motherboard and if it is then return. That's really the only two possibilities right?

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
One of three things:

1. The RAM isn't seated properly.

2. One stick is faulty.

3. One slot is faulty.

Take out both sticks, put one in the bottom slot and boot the machine. If it boots, turn it off and move the stick to the top slot. If it boots then you know both slots are OK.

If, after you've put the stick in the bottom slot, the machine doesn't boot, move the stick to the top slot and try again. If it still doesn't boot then you've got a faulty RAM stick. If it boots in the top slot but not the bottom slot then something's gone wrong with the computer.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland

Try removing the one unrecognized stick and then remove the other. Place the unrecognized stick solely into the Mac and see if it is recognized. If it is then re-add the other stick. If that one fails to get recognized then you have a Logic Board issue

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.