Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As it has done in prior years, Apple will once again be offering free summer camps for kids 8 to 12 at its retail stores, with this year's sessions focusing on filmmaking with iMovie and interactive storytelling with iBooks Author. The classes will run for three days with each class going for 90 minutes.

apple_camp_2014-800x253.png

The iMovie workshops will provide lessons on filmmaking with iMovie on the Mac and creating an original soundtrack in GarageBand for iPad. Meanwhile, the iBooks classes will teach kids how to draw illustrations using an iPad and how to add sound effects as well as Multi-Touch features using iBooks Author for Mac. The third day of each camp will also end with an Apple Camp Showcase so campers can share their finished projects.

The first sessions begin in mid-July and go through early August. While some stores have already filled their slots for both workshops, others have many spots remaining.

Interested parents can register for sessions on Apple's U.S. and Canadian retail websites, while parents in China, France, Hong Kong, Italy, Japan, the Netherlands, Spain, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom can register to be notified when registration opens in their countries. Apple Camp sessions for Australia's Apple Retail Stores will return in 2015.

Article Link: Apple Retail Announces 2014 Summer Filmmaking, iBooks Author Camps for Kids

Last edited:

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
I kind of wish there was was things like this when I was younger. Pretty cool to be learning the likes of iMovie at the age of 8 to 12.

Last edited:

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
I remember teaching myself to use iMovie and GarageBand when I was around 10. Oh those were the days.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I really really REALLY hate this.

By all means teach young people how to use technology and computers and be creative using software on those device.

That is great, amazing and fully encouraged.

For one company to basically iBrainwash and use it basically as a PR marketing tool, in a attempt to show kids what can be done on THEIR brand of computers only should not be allowed.

Concept is great in general, but shame on Apple for targeting children for their own long term ends.

Children should be taught and shown EVERYTHING to fully educate them and show them what's out there across the whole world of computing/tech. Not just 1 brand of goods.

Shameful.

mjsmith1568

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2014
It's not camp!

"Remember, all campers must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian for the duration of each workshop."

It's either not camp or it's camp for you as well as your kid.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002

By all means teach young people how to use technology and computers and be creative using software on those device.

For one company to basically iBrainwash and use it basically as a PR marketing tool, in a attempt to show kids what can be done on THEIR brand of computers only should not be allowed.

Concept is great in general, but shame on Apple for targeting children for their own long term ends.

Children should be taught and shown EVERYTHING to fully educate them and show them what's out there across the whole world of computing/tech. Not just 1 brand of goods.

Shameful.

Shameful? Please get off your soapbox.

1) No one is forcing parents to enroll their kids. I doubt many parents in a PC home are going to sign kids up to learn a new skill on a Mac. Parents understand once a kid learns something and likes it they want to do it again, but w/o a Mac at home, not possible. Result: whiny kid. But that is the parent's responsibility. You act like Apple is kidnapping these kids and holding them hostage until the parents buy a Mac.

Here is what is really going on: The parents likely already own a Mac and want Apple to teach their kid how to use it b/c they can't.

2) Microsoft has retail stores too -- do they offer a program? I don't know myself, but its their option to compete.

3) Every city has dozens of options for computer camps, AV camps, etc. Most use EITHER Mac or PC to teach kids. If a parent wants a PC environment, it's available.

4) Every secondary school (system) that has computers mostly uses either Mac or PC, not both. That's not a crass company trying to hook kids on their OS, it's a education facility that understands its budget and time doesn't allow to teach school kids two OSes. When they get to HS they can "branch out" if they want.

5) What difference does it make if kids learn a new skill on a Mac OR a PC? It's a new skill and usually it's transferable in some way.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011

Shameful.

Oh yeah, they should demo on Microsoft/Android tablets as well, and Windows 8. That'll be a fun experience for the young'uns. :rolleyes:

"Hey, don't try to drag that window with your finger on the touchscreen! What are you, stupid? Use a mouse instead, that's what it's optimised for."

"Don't worry about the bluescreening and the 'sad face' -- just be patient! Right, now, who knows how to diagnose the error 0x00000076?"

"Oops, don't download that Android app. It's malware."

"Okay, so this is your Internet browser, which is called 'Internet Explorer'. You use it to download Firefox or Chrome."

Not to mention the time, effort and money that goes into doing these things. Why on Earth should Apple pay to teach kids on other products? If it was a government scheme, I'd understand, but I think you're potentially overreacting.

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013
Excellent! Got my eldest registered for the movie camp. He'd probably like the book camp, too, but I don't want to bogart all of the slots.

fithian

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
Eastern PA
Sign up quickly, before asking your kid/gkid. These fill up in no time at all, by the time you ask him/her, there will be no spots left. If the kid/gkid doesn't want to do it, cancel, so that someone else will have a chance. My granddaughter did one a few years ago and loved it. She did the editing, I helped with the video, which starred her.

RobertMartens

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2002
Tokyo, Japan

Shameful.

You are retarded, ok ok let me rephrase that, you're idea needs a little more thought.

Oh man you are just pulling our strings and pushing our buttons

After 4500 posts I expect more from you

Last edited:

phillipduran

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2008
I wanna go!

free summer camps for kids 8 to 12

awwww. :(

----------

Shameful.

Not sure if serious or joking.

Parents are free to round there kids out as much as they want. Do the Apple camp one day and Microsoft one the next. No problem here.

Would it be a problem if a parent signed their kids up for baseball and didn't also sign them up for football, swimming, tennis, golf, hockey . . . I'm not so sure your argument has any merit at all.

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
Not to mention the time, effort and money that goes into doing these things. Why on Earth should Apple pay to teach kids on other products? If it was a government scheme, I'd understand, but I think you're potentially overreacting.

Wait, a for-profit corporation is ok but a government elected by the common people isn't?

Besides, I'm far more concerned about the parents who send their kids to this sort of "let's turn them into consumers before they even earn their own money" camp than the kids themselves. I'm also concerned about any grown adult who doesn't have the judgement to see through this sort of indoctrination.

This has nothing to do with Apple, it just really irks me how a company uses PR to masquerade as a good-will organisation when they're obviously not.

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
...This has nothing to do with Apple, it just really irks me...

you should have stopped there, it's a telling portion of your otherwise nonsensical statement.

you guys realize that any company doing anything for any kids could be perceived as PR, right? does that make it first and foremost 'PR'? to highly cynical debby downers with misanthropic disdain in their hearts, sure.

Last edited:

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I

1. These kids are typically already brainwashed cause Mummy and Daddy have iPhones etc
2. It's not fair to Apple to ask them to educate and market other companies stuff in their dime (everything about these workshops are free to attendees)
3. There's this thing called schools, which are supposed to be teaching kids the full picture

----------

"Remember, all campers must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian for the duration of each workshop."

It's either not camp or it's camp for you as well as your kid.

It's legal liability. Apple staff, unlike a standard camp, don't have proper training etc to act 'in loco parentis' if something happens to the kid. Thus why a parent has to be there.

And it's 90 minutes. Not really camp just based on that.

----------

Excellent! Got my eldest registered for the movie camp. He'd probably like the book camp, too, but I don't want to bogart all of the slots.

According to my BF the system won't let you. Once you sign up for a session you can't book another. That's how they keep anyone from trying to bogart.

----------

Wait, a for-profit corporation is ok but a government elected by the common people isn't?

That for profit is using their own money earned by the sales of their product to do this.

Unlike the government which is 99.9999% tax money from their electorate and often has to be voted on to even earn it. Which means they have to be way more upfront about what the program is. And if they choose to restrict, especially to one brand, they can be sued and lose funding if what they are doing wasn't permitted during the vote for the funds.

crsh1976

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2011
you should have stopped there, it's a telling portion of your otherwise nonsensical statement.

you guys realize that any company doing anything for any kids could be perceived as PR, right? does that make it first and foremost 'PR'? to highly cynical debby downers with misanthropic disdain in their hearts, sure.

Uh, because it is PR, or are you blind enough to believe these companies do this because they're truly concerned with your kids' well-being?

Geez, I suppose I need to blame this on working in ad agencies for over a decade, but it'll never cease to amaze me how gullible the general public is.

Macxpress

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2014

Shameful.

I think you forgot the /s (sarcasm) on the end?

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011

Besides, I'm far more concerned about the parents who send their kids to this sort of "let's turn them into consumers before they even earn their own money" camp than the kids themselves. I'm also concerned about any grown adult who doesn't have the judgement to see through this sort of indoctrination.

This has nothing to do with Apple, it just really irks me how a company uses PR to masquerade as a good-will organisation when they're obviously not.

I just meant that if there was a government scheme encouraging children to learn more about computers, but taught them solely on Apple devices, I'd understand why there may be a few people questioning that. :)

siddavis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2009
Uh, because it is PR, or are you blind enough to believe these companies do this because they're truly concerned with your kids' well-being?

Geez, I suppose I need to blame this on working in ad agencies for over a decade, but it'll never cease to amaze me how gullible the general public is.

Well then thank goodness you are here to save us all from our stupid selves. Get over yourself and how you think you are so much smarter than everyone else. Does/could Apple benefit from this? Of course, but it doesn’t have to be an evil scheme. The bigger benefit for them is to get the foot traffic in the stores. It is the same as the Lowes/Home Depot kids building projects that they have in-store. I use them, and I fully understand what they are trying to do – get me in the store and maybe buy something while we are there. Do I understand this? Absolutely. Are others explicitly unaware of the stores’ motives? Perhaps, but what does it matter? Everyone still has the free will to make the final choice.

This is not brainwashing kids. It is providing a service where potentially everyone wins – the kids, the parents, Apple. But, by all means, please start a petition to get this horrible practice shut down because I am far too stupid to figure out what is going on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.