Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mord

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 24, 2003
UK
well i sit here running iweb, and new versions of the iapps on my 600MHz G3, first drag the installer to the desktop then right (ctrl) click on the installer and select "show package contents", naviagte to /contents/installers and right click on the iapp of your choice (i'll do garageband as thats the only one i have yet to install, and again click show package contents, navigate to contents/installers again and then right click on garageband.pkg you guessed it, show package contents navigate to contents/resources and delete installationcheck, now go back to the garageband installer, the one bunched with the other installers and run it, it'll then install fine on any mac running 10.4, then run the other installers separately, they have no checkers in them but the umbrella installer does and i cant seem to get rid of it.

the same applies to every iapp, only one i haven't tried is idvd, seeing as i have no use for it, and i hear it actually requires a G4 cpu anyway.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
...But how is the performance?

iLife '04 ran decent on my dual 533 G4, but could get sluggish. I would think that GarageBand would choke your iBook? I've never tried running iApps on a faster G3...

Good news for those who want to do it that way though.

Mord

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 24, 2003
UK
i just dont play back more than one track in software, i mostly use it for applying effects to my violin and for that it works fine, just takes a while to output to a file to play in itunes.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Hector said:
i just dont play back more than one track in software, i mostly use it for applying effects to my violin and for that it works fine, just takes a while to output to a file to play in itunes.

Ah, I see. When using a few tracks simultaneously, I noticed that GarageBand would happily gobble up 120% CPU resources on my dual G4. Most G3s probably couldn't handle that very well, but for what you're doing obviously that isn't an issue.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
That tip works great Hector, Thanks. Out of curiosity i tried it with Final Cut Express HD and my G3 900 iBook. Here is where the odd parts come in. Its an upgrade but taking out the installationcheck file it doesnt even ask for a serial number for either the FCE or the FCE version you are upgrading from.

The actual directory is hidden but if you zoom in to Terminal login as root and run a
cp -R /Volumes/Final\/Cut\/Express\/HD/installer /Users/yourusernamehere/Desktop it will copy that hidden folder to your desktop.

Then i did the same drill, open package browse to the installer, then to resources and deleted the installationcheck.

The install went fine..

But the app must have something in it cause i got a red exclamation point logo and a message that said "You do not have sufficient hardware to use this program"

figured it was worth a shot, the freaky part was that it seemed to bypass the serial number/upgrade verification part of the installer. I may poke around the .app package and see if there is a way to just make it run, but i have a feeling it needs Altivec for some of the core modules and hense why it wont run.

Ed

franchice

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2006
Helpp

HI u guys doin......this is for hector i relli need ur help i did everything u told me to do with the ilife 06 on a g3 processor.......everything installed but my garageband 3 does not wanna open now.....it blinks when i click it but doesnt open.....what should i do?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.