Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ricktat

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
I am going to start camping out tonight. :D:cool:

Reasons it will:
1) Larger display will bring back Android defectors
2) Larger display will give Iphone 4/4s holdouts a reason to upgrade (I know soo many out of contract 4/4s owners who just won't upgrade yet)
3) Larger display will bring in new customers to Apple
4) Larger display will give Iphone 5/5s users an excuse to upgrade
5) IOS 7 plus now IOS 8 will have most software features that people like on Android
6) US carriers now make it easier to upgrade early (NEXT, Jump, etc.)
7) All the other reasons people upgrade every year anyways

Reasons it won't:
1) It's too big for my tiny hands

Can you add anything to either list?

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Well every iPhone launch becomes the new biggest launch US history. I don't see why we wouldn't expect the 6 to be any different.

ricktat

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
They have said the same thing in past iPhone introductions.

True... but if not for touch ID the 5S is still a 5. My 5S doesn't do anything more than my 5 except touch ID, slo mo

from 4-5.. some can't even tell a difference in screen size.

This will be a huge change. Other than saying.. I hate Apple.. there won't be any excuses.

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012

I can see that happening for some. When I was looking to replace my HTC EVO, the iPhone felt and looked too small, almost like going back to my previous phone, the Touch Pro. So I got the Nexus 4. If there's a 5.5 inch version of the iPhone 6, I'd probably get it when my N4 conks out.

Chevelle

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2010
I can see that happening for some. When I was looking to replace my HTC EVO, the iPhone felt and looked too small, almost like going back to my previous phone, the Touch Pro. So I got the Nexus 4. If there's a 5.5 inch version of the iPhone 6, I'd probably get it when my N4 conks out.

I felt the same way. Had an iPhone 4. Loved it. Went to a note 2. Liked it but it was too big. Wasn't as refined and smooth as an iPhone. Then got a moto x. Perfect size compromise. Worked great but still not ios smooth. So I got a 5s and had it for 2 days. Can't go back to a 4" screen. 4.5-4.7 is ideal imo.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
I am going to start camping out tonight. :D:cool:

Reasons it will:
2) Larger display will give Iphone 4/4s holdouts a reason to upgrade (I know soo many out of contract 4/4s owners who just won't upgrade yet)
3) Larger display will bring in new customers to Apple
4) Larger display will give Iphone 5/5s users an excuse to upgrade
5) IOS 7 plus now IOS 8 will have most software features that people like on Android
6) US carriers now make it easier to upgrade early (NEXT, Jump, etc.)
7) All the other reasons people upgrade every year anyways

Reasons it won't:
1) It's too big for my tiny hands

Can you add anything to either list?

Add to your list:
A burner
portable A/C
a laundry line
detergent
Pack a lot of preservatives.

Gincoma

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2013
True... but if not for touch ID the 5S is still a 5. My 5S doesn't do anything more than my 5 except touch ID, slo mo

This will be a huge change. Other than saying.. I hate Apple.. there won't be any excuses.

wait you cant notice a difference between size of the 4 to the 5 and also only difference you see between the 5 and 5s is Touch ID. Your credibilty just went out the window, what you say from here on out is nothing more the a 3 year old and their giberish. Im pretty sure people who also think logistically will also feel the same :D

unagimiyagi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Alot of folks are going to realize that they in fact prefer to use the iphone one-handed, which will not be possible at 4.7 and 5.5 inches. They'll realize this only after they buy an iphone 6 and will return it.

For every action, there's a reaction. You'll see online petitions asking for the 4 inch or 4.3" model to make a comeback.

If Apple was smart, they'd simply make a 4", 4.7 and 5.5" to keep everyone happy. It's like starbucks, small medium or large. It's abundantly clear that the screen size camps are all sizeable minorities, with a 1/3 wanting 4", 1/3 wanting something like 4.5-4.7, and others wanting as huge of a screen as possible. Just make 3 sizes and end this debate for good Apple.

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
If Apple was smart, they'd simply make a 4", 4.7 and 5.5" to keep everyone happy. It's like starbucks, small medium or large. It's abundantly clear that the screen size camps are all sizeable minorities, with a 1/3 wanting 4", 1/3 wanting something like 4.5-4.7, and others wanting as huge of a screen as possible. Just make 3 sizes and end this debate for good Apple.

Great. The iPhone Venti and the iPhone Grande. :D

Chevelle

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2010
Alot of folks are going to realize that they in fact prefer to use the iphone one-handed, which will not be possible at 4.7 and 5.5 inches. They'll realize this only after they buy an iphone 6 and will return it.

For every action, there's a reaction. You'll see online petitions asking for the 4 inch or 4.3" model to make a comeback.

You're right in that there are compromises at every level. The iPhone is great for one handed use and ergonomics. But everything is small and cramped. Good if you primarily text but not the best if you Web browse and read. The bigger phones are great for that stuff but they aren't one hand devices and aren't as comfortable in the hand. I've had them all and the best compromise so far was the moto x.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

You got to understand that to most it will just be another phone. People here, including me, are not the norm and while the 6 will be a good upgrade, there will be many more in the future.

ricktat

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 18, 2013
You had me right up to the point, "on the iPhone 4 vs the 5, some can't tell the difference between the screen size."

The key word was "some".... When I bought the Iphone 5, I had Iphone 4 users asking me if it was the new Iphone. They had to look at it and then were like... ahh yeah that's bigger.

A 4.7 inch screen is the size of a old Galaxy S3. There is no confusing that it is a different sized phone.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
The key word was "some".... When I bought the Iphone 5, I had Iphone 4 users asking me if it was the new Iphone. They had to look at it and then were like... ahh yeah that's bigger.

A 4.7 inch screen is the size of a old Galaxy S3. There is no confusing that it is a different sized phone.

Who cares if people know you have a new phone?

I follow the 2 year cycle

3g->4->5->6(soon)

I must say the jump from 3g->4 was night and day, but that was because of A4, Flash & Retina display. Not really looking forward to Apple increasing the size again, but I will cope. I just hope sapphire is there.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
You had me right up to the point, "on the iPhone 4 vs the 5, some can't tell the difference between the screen size."

I went to Vegas when the 5 was first released and my gf at the time had one. We'd occasionally have people take a pic for us and half of everyone that did so asked if it was the new iPhone while they were holding it (albeit in a case).

Some like you and I find the difference apparent. Others might have trouble seeing that .5" difference especially since it's a change in aspect ratio so things on the screen are staying the same size just adding more content.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.