Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anders.bloch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
Hey.

I have a problem regarding installing windows on an HDD which has replaced the optical drive in my Macbook Pro.
I have an SDD in the main drive and i have managed to partition the HDD with windows, but it doesnt seem to be able to load from the optibay - "insert a bootable disc"...

I have looked around for solutions, but can't really seem to get it working (need a step-by-step)

How can i fix it?

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Hey.

I have a problem regarding installing windows on an HDD which has replaced the optical drive in my Macbook Pro.
I have an SDD in the main drive and i have managed to partition the HDD with windows, but it doesnt seem to be able to load from the optibay - "insert a bootable disc"...

I have looked around for solutions, but can't really seem to get it working (need a step-by-step)

How can i fix it?
How did you install windows? Boot camp, did you just insert the install disk and boot to that or did you clone a windows drive?

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
You can try this method to install Windows without the SuperDrive, but odds are good it's not going to work. Other than that, you're pretty much stuck. Windows must otherwise be installed from the internal SuperDrive to the hard drive that contains OS X.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Pull the drive and put the optical drive back into the Mac. Its the only way you'll be able to install windows - save yourself the grief and time of trying a work around.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
I've never done it but would it work if someone used an other identical MacBook model to install Windows from its own ODD to its own SSD and then removed that SDD and used it to replace the ODD in a second MacBook?
Then MacBook (A) could replace its removed SSD and do a fresh install of OSX and still be in its out-of-the-box configuration and MacBook (B) would have two SSD, one with OSX and one with both OSX and Windows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.