Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jun 17, 2014, 09:26 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Video Compares 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Model to Samsung Galaxy Note 3

While there have been plenty of videos comparing the 4.7-inch version of the iPhone 6 to the Samsung Galaxy S5 and other smartphones, there haven't been many comparing the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 to other devices.

However, YouTube channel TechSmartt (via AppleInsider) has acquired a dummy of the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 and compared it to the Samsung Galaxy Note 3, offering a look at Apple's rumored "phablet" against its main competition.

When compared to the 5.7-inch Note 3, the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 is slightly*taller. This correlates with an earlier size comparison that found the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 was the same height or taller than leading Android smartphones that had slightly larger screens.

If believed, these dummy models signal that the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 could be taller than the Note 3's height of 151.2mm. The extra height is largely due to a carryover of design decisions from previous iPhone models, which include identically sized top and bottom bezels. These bezels contain the FaceTime camera, the Touch ID Home button and numerous sensors.

Article Link: Video Compares 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Model to Samsung Galaxy Note 3
MacRumors is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2014, 09:27 PM   #2
AngerDanger
macrumors 65816

Meanwile, my size-comparison video of the rumored iPhone 6 to a Kensington MICROWARE VM1 portable modem goes unappreciated…

Last edited by maflynn; Jun 18, 2014 at 05:03 AM. Reason: Removed annoying animated gif.
AngerDanger is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2014, 09:30 PM   #3
ppc_michael

Send a message via AIM to ppc_michael
The bigger news here is that a video comparing one size to another size is seven minutes long, and MacRumors posted it to their front page.
ppc_michael is offline   39 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2014, 09:30 PM   #4
Lord Flashheart
macrumors regular

Even though we don't know for sure if the iPhone 6 will look like this, the video gives me a good idea about the size. Looks like the 5.5 is a bit too big for me. I hope the rumors about not having enough sapphire for the 4.7 are not true. Nice seeing these in high quality video, and not just pics.
Cube
Lord Flashheart is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2014, 09:31 PM   #5
Richardgm
macrumors 6502a

Those bezels need to go on a diet.
Richardgm is offline   27 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2014, 09:32 PM   #6
nepalisherpa
macrumors 68000

Only Apple knows if these rumors (design, size, etc.) are true! Nonetheless, I cannot wait till September!
Old Jun 17, 2014, 09:35 PM   #7
borneo76
macrumors member

definitely i will go with 4.7".......if i want bigger screen, i just get iPad Mini
borneo76 is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2014, 09:35 PM   #8
infernohellion
macrumors 6502

I am not convinced that the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 would only just be proportionally larger 4.7-inch iPhone 6 as internal components don't also proportionally grow (especially those obese bezels)
Old Jun 17, 2014, 09:39 PM   #9
pdaholic
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngerDanger View Post
As an added bonus, the presenter in the video appears to be a male Rebecca Black!
I didn't know who she is, so I went to youtube and checked out her video "Friday." Not sure if they look alike, but that is one dumb song.
pdaholic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2014, 09:39 PM   #10
jont-fu
macrumors regular

I lost count on how many times the presenter iterated that he favors the 4.7" model over the 5.5", with slightly different phrasing.
jont-fu is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2014, 09:44 PM   #11
HiRez
macrumors 601

From the video:
Quote:
Do you even like Apple?
LOL

Pretty much what I thought, 4.7" looks about perfect, 5.5" too large to be practical for most people. Still hoping the camera does not stick out like that, these phones need to be usable on a flat surface without wobbling.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by infernohellion View Post
I am not convinced that the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 would only just be proportionally larger 4.7-inch iPhone 6 as internal components don't also proportionally grow (especially those obese bezels)
Not everything, but the battery would have to be larger, and I think the battery probably is a major space-taker.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 09:44 PM   #12
newyorksole
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepalisherpa View Post
Only Apple knows if these rumors (design, size, etc.) are true! Nonetheless, I cannot wait till September!
You guys do realize that every iPhone has leaked every year right ?

Literally every iPhone except the original has leaked . This IS what the new iPhones will look like . They are starting to be mass produced .

Believe it people . This news repeats itself every . Year .
newyorksole is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2014, 09:45 PM   #13
genovelle
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppc_michael View Post
The bigger news here is that a video comparing one size to another size is seven minutes long, and MacRumors posted it to their front page.
How could they pass on a video about Apple phones with with so much subliminal Andriod promotion going on through out the video with all the Logo dolls in the background.
genovelle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2014, 09:47 PM   #14
xFenixKnightx
macrumors member

I just don't see the 5.5" model coming out that way. I know I saw a vid or comparison a while back where it was actually about the same size as a Note 2. Nobody knows for sure until Apple shows it. I remember when there were all these tear drop cases floating around before the iPhone 5 came out and these of course failed hard. Poor case makers lol. Lucky for me I'm more interested in the 4.7" model.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 09:48 PM   #15
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppc_michael View Post
It's actually quite pathetic. Is MR that hard up for page views?
Old Jun 17, 2014, 09:55 PM   #16
jetjaguar
macrumors 68000

i was pumped for the 5.5 but after seeing how big it actually might be with the bars .. i think 4.7 is better.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 09:56 PM   #17
rukkus
macrumors member

just stopped by to see some of you try to justify the bezels on that 5.5

also a major fail if the camera isn't flush. that was one of the things i always loved about iphones.
rukkus is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2014, 10:00 PM   #18
pocketdoc
macrumors 6502a

Won't we all be so disappointed if they only release one iPhone 6?

Do we really know with certainty that Apple is going to release 2 new sizes? I would love the choices, but it just doesn't sound like Apple.
pocketdoc is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2014, 10:03 PM   #19
dannyyankou
macrumors 68020

"Taller than the Note 3, but not wider than the Note 3... bigger than the Note 3, but smaller screen than the note 3.. like, it's ridiculously big, SERIOUSLY."

Oh my god, shut up! Don't know what's more pathetic- that I watched half of that video, or that macrumors posted it.
dannyyankou is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2014, 10:05 PM   #20
mrxak
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorksole View Post
You guys do realize that every iPhone has leaked every year right ?

Literally every iPhone except the original has leaked . This IS what the new iPhones will look like . They are starting to be mass produced .

Believe it people . This news repeats itself every . Year .
On several occasions, fake designs were so widespread case manufacturers made tons of cases only to throw them all away because the models going around were fake.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 10:07 PM   #21
dannyyankou
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxak View Post
On several occasions, fake designs were so widespread case manufacturers made tons of cases only to throw them all away because the models going around were fake.
Exhibit A: Case Mate's "iPhone 5" cases in 2011.

dannyyankou is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2014, 10:08 PM   #22
SantaFeNM
macrumors newbie

5.5" run iPad Apps?

Yeah, that 5.5" looks huge for trying to fit in a pocket.

This may be a dumb question, but could one of the differentiators about the 5.5", other than size, be that it can run iPad apps?

I'm looking to buy my first iPhone this fall and I don't have an iPad. If I could get a iPhone that runs some apps that currently are iPad only, that may sway me to go with the bigger 5.5".
Old Jun 17, 2014, 10:10 PM   #23
firedept
macrumors Demi-God

Just looking forward to the 6. My plan ends mid August. Do not care about the size anymore, just tired of hearing about it.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 10:11 PM   #24
Z400Racer37
macrumors 6502

The 5.5" is obnoxious. I seriously hope its just a rumor...
Z400Racer37 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2014, 10:13 PM   #25
Oohara
macrumors 68000

Looks like there'd be plenty of room to make those top and bottom bezels thinner, while retaining ample space for the home button as well as the symmetrical design (5.5" model). Now I'm really having trouble believing this one.

Quote:
If believed, these dummy models signal that the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 could be taller than the Note 3's height of 151.2mm. The extra height is largely due to a carryover of design decisions from previous iPhone models, which include identically sized top and bottom bezels.
The top/bottom bezels on that 5.5" dummy are clearly larger than those on the 4.7" dummy and the 5s though. Both the top/bottom and side bezels seem to vary quite a bit in size between all these dummy versions...

Last edited by Oohara; Jun 18, 2014 at 12:11 AM.
Oohara is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion