Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While there have been plenty of videos comparing the 4.7-inch version of the iPhone 6 to the Samsung Galaxy S5 and other smartphones, there haven't been many comparing the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 to other devices.

However, YouTube channel TechSmartt (via AppleInsider) has acquired a dummy of the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 and compared it to the Samsung Galaxy Note 3, offering a look at Apple's rumored "phablet" against its main competition.

When compared to the 5.7-inch Note 3, the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 is slightly taller. This correlates with an earlier size comparison that found the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 was the same height or taller than leading Android smartphones that had slightly larger screens.

If believed, these dummy models signal that the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 could be taller than the Note 3's height of 151.2mm. The extra height is largely due to a carryover of design decisions from previous iPhone models, which include identically sized top and bottom bezels. These bezels contain the FaceTime camera, the Touch ID Home button and numerous sensors.

Article Link: Video Compares 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Model to Samsung Galaxy Note 3

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Meanwile, my size-comparison video of the rumored iPhone 6 to a Kensington MICROWARE VM1 portable modem goes unappreciated… :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Lord Flashheart

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2007
Cardiff by the Sea, CA
Even though we don't know for sure if the iPhone 6 will look like this, the video gives me a good idea about the size. Looks like the 5.5 is a bit too big for me. I hope the rumors about not having enough sapphire for the 4.7 are not true. Nice seeing these in high quality video, and not just pics.

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
Only Apple knows if these rumors (design, size, etc.) are true! Nonetheless, I cannot wait till September!

infernohellion

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2006
København
I am not convinced that the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 would only just be proportionally larger 4.7-inch iPhone 6 as internal components don't also proportionally grow (especially those obese bezels)

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
As an added bonus, the presenter in the video appears to be a male Rebecca Black!

I didn't know who she is, so I went to youtube and checked out her video "Friday." Not sure if they look alike, but that is one dumb song.

jont-fu

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2008
I lost count on how many times the presenter iterated that he favors the 4.7" model over the 5.5", with slightly different phrasing.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
From the video:
Do you even like Apple?

LOL

Pretty much what I thought, 4.7" looks about perfect, 5.5" too large to be practical for most people. Still hoping the camera does not stick out like that, these phones need to be usable on a flat surface without wobbling.

----------

I am not convinced that the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 would only just be proportionally larger 4.7-inch iPhone 6 as internal components don't also proportionally grow (especially those obese bezels)
Not everything, but the battery would have to be larger, and I think the battery probably is a major space-taker.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Only Apple knows if these rumors (design, size, etc.) are true! Nonetheless, I cannot wait till September!

You guys do realize that every iPhone has leaked every year right ?

Literally every iPhone except the original has leaked . This IS what the new iPhones will look like . They are starting to be mass produced .

Believe it people . This news repeats itself every . Year .

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
The bigger news here is that a video comparing one size to another size is seven minutes long, and MacRumors posted it to their front page.

How could they pass on a video about Apple phones with with so much subliminal Andriod promotion going on through out the video with all the Logo dolls in the background.

xFenixKnightx

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2011
I just don't see the 5.5" model coming out that way. I know I saw a vid or comparison a while back where it was actually about the same size as a Note 2. Nobody knows for sure until Apple shows it. I remember when there were all these tear drop cases floating around before the iPhone 5 came out and these of course failed hard. Poor case makers lol. Lucky for me I'm more interested in the 4.7" model. :cool:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
The bigger news here is that a video comparing one size to another size is seven minutes long, and MacRumors posted it to their front page.

It's actually quite pathetic. Is MR that hard up for page views?

rukkus

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2012
just stopped by to see some of you try to justify the bezels on that 5.5 :cool:

also a major fail if the camera isn't flush. that was one of the things i always loved about iphones.

pocketdoc

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2008
Won't we all be so disappointed if they only release one iPhone 6?

Do we really know with certainty that Apple is going to release 2 new sizes? I would love the choices, but it just doesn't sound like Apple.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
"Taller than the Note 3, but not wider than the Note 3... bigger than the Note 3, but smaller screen than the note 3.. like, it's ridiculously big, SERIOUSLY."

Oh my god, shut up! Don't know what's more pathetic- that I watched half of that video, or that macrumors posted it.

mrxak

macrumors 68000
You guys do realize that every iPhone has leaked every year right ?

Literally every iPhone except the original has leaked . This IS what the new iPhones will look like . They are starting to be mass produced .

Believe it people . This news repeats itself every . Year .

On several occasions, fake designs were so widespread case manufacturers made tons of cases only to throw them all away because the models going around were fake.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
On several occasions, fake designs were so widespread case manufacturers made tons of cases only to throw them all away because the models going around were fake.

Exhibit A: Case Mate's "iPhone 5" cases in 2011.

casemate-iphone-5-cases.jpg

SantaFeNM

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2012
Santa Fe, NM
5.5" run iPad Apps?

Yeah, that 5.5" looks huge for trying to fit in a pocket.

This may be a dumb question, but could one of the differentiators about the 5.5", other than size, be that it can run iPad apps?

I'm looking to buy my first iPhone this fall and I don't have an iPad. If I could get a iPhone that runs some apps that currently are iPad only, that may sway me to go with the bigger 5.5".

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
Just looking forward to the 6. My plan ends mid August. Do not care about the size anymore, just tired of hearing about it.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Looks like there'd be plenty of room to make those top and bottom bezels thinner, while retaining ample space for the home button as well as the symmetrical design (5.5" model). Now I'm really having trouble believing this one.

If believed, these dummy models signal that the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 could be taller than the Note 3's height of 151.2mm. The extra height is largely due to a carryover of design decisions from previous iPhone models, which include identically sized top and bottom bezels.

The top/bottom bezels on that 5.5" dummy are clearly larger than those on the 4.7" dummy and the 5s though. Both the top/bottom and side bezels seem to vary quite a bit in size between all these dummy versions...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.