Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jun 18, 2014, 05:53 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Wikipad Announces 'Gamevice' iOS Game Controller for iPad Mini

Gaming peripheral company Wikipad has announced an iPad mini version of its Gamevice mobile game controller, reports Slide to Play (via TouchArcade).

The Gamevice sports a form-fitting design that cradles the iPad mini, and features console-style controls including dual-analog sticks, a directional pad, face buttons, shoulder bumpers, and triggers. The accessory is compatible with all iOS games that feature controller support, which currently includes titles like Limbo, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, and The Walking Dead.

The Gamevice's reveal comes after last week's Electronic Entertainment Expo, where a surge of new iOS controllers appeared. The introduction of so many new iOS controllers comes as rumors surrounding the gaming capabilities of the next-generation Apple TV have ramped up in recent months. Some have speculated that Apple could utilize iOS gaming controllers, a set-top box and an App Store ecosystem to become a major force in the console gaming industry.
Wikipad's Gamevice controller for the iPad mini is expected to be released later this year. Interested customers can sign up at the accessory's official website for more information.

Article Link: Wikipad Announces 'Gamevice' iOS Game Controller for iPad Mini
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2014, 05:56 AM   #2
iMatamoros
macrumors newbie

So we have the first Wii U competitor and meanwhile Nintendo is missing ALL THE FUN... i would pay $10 for a 64 Zelda game on iOS.
iMatamoros is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2014, 06:00 AM   #3
Sol
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Skype™ to Sol
This looks great. I hope the built quality is good and that a black option is offered. The only problem I can see with this design is that the speaker will be muffled and the headphone port is inaccessible.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 06:06 AM   #4
WilliamLondon
macrumors 68000

Love games on my mini, but many would be much improved with physical controls, so I'm definitely interested in a controller that wraps around the mini like this one. Looks like the controller market is starting to get started, a year later than I thought it'd take, but it might be arriving finally and that's a very good thing.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 07:23 AM   #5
Jessica Lares
macrumors 604

It looks like they're mocking those awful iPhone snap on controllers with this.

I don't like it, it's just weird. Just stand up your iPad Mini somehow and use a regular controller.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 07:23 AM   #6
mdridwan47
macrumors regular

eh....
mdridwan47 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2014, 08:03 AM   #7
WilliamLondon
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post

I don't like it, it's just weird. Just stand up your iPad Mini somehow and use a regular controller.
What, no room for both? I'd like to have one of each, one that wraps around my mini (or iPhone maybe) as well as one that doesn't require a physical connection and can be used from a distance. It's nice that the standard allows for both kinds, so we don't have to suffer from one "regular" option only.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 08:07 AM   #8
TheWelshBoyo
macrumors regular

This seems to have the best d-pad available on ANY of the currently available and announced iOS controllers. The most Nintendo-like so far. The others all seem very reminiscent of the Xbox 360's godawful d-pad.
TheWelshBoyo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2014, 08:21 AM   #9
dugbug
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Problem is some games expect you to tilt as an additional control.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 08:22 AM   #10
Jessica Lares
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugbug View Post
Problem is some games expect you to tilt as an additional control.
That makes perfect sense then.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 09:20 AM   #11
Dorkington
macrumors 6502a

I'm into it.
Dorkington is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2014, 11:30 AM   #12
jeff1977
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMatamoros View Post
So we have the first Wii U competitor and meanwhile Nintendo is missing ALL THE FUN... i would pay $10 for a 64 Zelda game on iOS.
Missing all the fun? You're missing the fun if you aren't playing Mario Kart 8 right now.
The Wii U is picking up steam, finally, and I'm so glad Nintendo hasn't caved on the 'just make games for smartphones' thing.
This iPad Mini controller looks cool, though. I love the GamePad on the Wii U and this is similar.
jeff1977 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2014, 12:28 PM   #13
ckurt25
macrumors 6502a

I have a controller for my iPhone and other than it charging the device I'm not a big fan of future controllers needing a physical interface with the device. They should all be bluetooth. That way I can use it with any iPad, any phone that supports the controller, iOS or android. Build in gyroscopes into the controller if tilt is important. The games I play that support tilt when a controller isn't be used play just fine not tilting with the controller. I don't even know if a game would want to support a physical tilt and input from the controller to do the same thing.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 12:31 PM   #14
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff1977 View Post
Missing all the fun? You're missing the fun if you aren't playing Mario Kart 8 right now.
The Wii U is picking up steam, finally, and I'm so glad Nintendo hasn't caved on the 'just make games for smartphones' thing.
This iPad Mini controller looks cool, though. I love the GamePad on the Wii U and this is similar.
The Wii U's Gamepad is definitely my favorite controller, although I wish the screen was multitouch.
Old Jun 18, 2014, 03:37 PM   #15
imicca
macrumors newbie

Location: Originally from Armenia,Yerevan, now live in London, UK

Quote:

Yeah me too, but what should I use? i cannot find any decent controller with ios7-8 support
imicca is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2014, 08:20 AM   #16
lotzosushi
macrumors 6502

While this is a cool concept I can see how this seems like a waste for some consumers like me who tend to upgrade devices every year and new hardware designs would render these third party accessories useless. With a quick google search I found one of these controllers that I would much rather have that would remain compatible with both iPhone/iPad and most future devices. Plus it seems much more comfortable to use. But I guess it's nice to have options, and for those that plan on keeping their devices for many years.

Old Jun 19, 2014, 02:43 PM   #17
MrXiro
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotzosushi View Post
While this is a cool concept I can see how this seems like a waste for some consumers like me who tend to upgrade devices every year and new hardware designs would render these third party accessories useless. With a quick google search I found one of these controllers that I would much rather have that would remain compatible with both iPhone/iPad and most future devices. Plus it seems much more comfortable to use. But I guess it's nice to have options, and for those that plan on keeping their devices for many years.

That looks nice too! I dig that the one in this article makes the Mini look like a Wii U controller.
Old Jun 19, 2014, 03:04 PM   #18
agsystems
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotzosushi View Post

You are right - but you may be safer with the Ipad Mini - Apple might make it thinner but even then- looks like this design would accommodate it.
agsystems is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2014, 03:22 PM   #19
lotzosushi
macrumors 6502

Yeah, that plus it would be a pain to have to remove a case every time you want to use the controller. Or in my case even worse- I'm using a TwelveSouth SurfacePad that sticks to the back to my iPad mini with adhesive so I wouldn't want to keep taking it off =/
Old Jun 19, 2014, 05:59 PM   #20
PocketSand11
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff1977 View Post
Tell me when the Wii U's games are anywhere near as good as those of the GameCube or N64, and I'll try it. But I agree that Nintendo should not cave into making games for smartphones, from a business standpoint and as a Nintendo fan myself.
Fun fact: iPhone 5 aspect ratio = 640/1136 ≈ .5634. 9/16 = .5625. 639/1136 = .5625. Its screen is exactly one pixel too wide to be 9:16.
PocketSand11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2014, 10:18 AM   #21
SteveJobs2.0
macrumors 6502

Should have had little stereo speakers added. Even small ones would sound better than the built in ones and it would provide for true stereo sound separation.
SteveJobs2.0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2014, 06:05 PM   #22
MacSince'85
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol View Post
This looks great. I hope the built quality is good and that a black option is offered. The only problem I can see with this design is that the speaker will be muffled and the headphone port is inaccessible.
There is always BT headphones.
MacSince'85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion